Author Topic: I'm converting my EAA Witness to 10mm and I got the round slide...  (Read 2413 times)

Offline StevenJ61

So.. should I be worried? I've heard stories of the 10mm rounded slide cracking. It fits perfectly on the frame of the pistol, goes into battery, sear is engaging the firing pin block when pulling the trigger in dry testing. The only issue I had was the stock plastic grips were binding up against the 10mm magazines. After some filing the insides of the grip panels, the magazines slide in and out with ease. I don't think I will be shooting full power factory loads of 180 grain at 1200+ fps. Probably moderate loads like S&B or PPU at 180 grain 1000+ fps. I had bought it in 9mm full wonder finish which is great but the gun is really over built for 9mm. Plus I don't like how the magazine is designed for a longer round than 9 luger. When you load it up with 9 luger there's a good 2 to 3 mm gap in front of the round obviously because this is a bigger framed gun and I have had issues with the rounds nose diving in the magazine because there is a gap between the bullet head and the end of the magazine. I imagine with 10mm Auto it won't be an issue since it takes up the full length of the magazine. I'm a bit mixed, the slide had some annoying scratches but they gave me adjustable rear sights! So kind of a toss. I have NOT shot it yet in this configuration so you guys know.

On a side note, I have a 20 lb wolf recoil spring installed with a Henning Shop advanced guide rod that has more surface contact area on the frame to avoid cracking anything.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:58:03 PM by StevenJ61 »

Offline Barebow

Re: I'm converting my EAA Witness to 10mm and I got the round slide...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »
What did you have to spend overall to do this?  Thought about it , but from what I have seen on the EAA website. A 2nd gun is near the same cost if going with a Tristar.

Offline StevenJ61

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »
Tristar doesn't sell 10mm Tanfoglio does. Yeah it was expensive. The 10 mm conversion kit with 4 10mm mags, including the one with the kit, was $532.86. I spent $560 roughly with tax and background check  on the gun, so yeah wasn't cheap. The base conversion kit for a black polycoat is around $413 for the compact versions. I wouldn't do it again, I plan on selling the 9mm upper with barrel, recoil spring, guide rod, and magazines to help pay for it soon. So I did shoot it tonight and...

The slide didn't crack! lol j/k No seriously it didn't. I had some weird failure to feeds with one mag but the other mag ran flawless. Those adjustable sights are not sighted in and I had neglected to bring a flat head with me to the range. It was half a foot low and an inch to the left at 7 yards. The recoil though of the S&B 10mm fmjs was actually not bad at all. Yes I spent over $1000 total, but I really wanted an all steel compact 10mm handgun with a black coated upper and nickle plated lower so I got what I want. Now I just need to sight it in and buy more ammo. I did polish the feed ram with polishing compound and a dremel after firing it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:06:48 PM by StevenJ61 »

Offline Barebow

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:13:05 PM »
I never noticed Tristar did not sell 10mm.  So I see why you wanted the rebuild.  Hope you enjoy it!

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »
Good Luck with your 10mm Conversion EAA Witness and may it serve you well.  8)  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline StevenJ61

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »
Thanks all for your kind replies. So the 10mm upper has 100 rounds through it and it hasn't cracked yet. The only issue I have is the hammer is cocking so hard under recoil it's actually leaving a slight mar or scratch about 1/4 a milimeter deep on the beaver tail. It's a nuisance but nothing serious. It turns out the elevation was way off on the rear sights so I moved them up a few notches. Now it shoots about point of aim at 7 to 10 yards. Wasn't just me, I let my boss at work shoot it and my two coworkers. All of us found the pistol to be accurate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:04:47 AM by StevenJ61 »

Offline legionofdoon

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
Mine ate the beaver tail too but I was running Underwood ammo I was running the 20 lb spring but went back to the original. Have not noticed any problems. I'm? also running the Hennings guide rod.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline StevenJ61

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:02:57 PM »
Mine ate the beaver tail too but I was running Underwood ammo I was running the 20 lb spring but went back to the original. Have not noticed any problems. I'm? also running the Hennings guide rod.

Good to know I have only ran S&B 10mm in mine which is in the middle power wise. I replaced the extractor spring on mine with an extra power CZ75 and had some odd feeding issues at first but they seemed to go away the more I shot it. Speaking of which the gun is now at 200 rounds through the 10mm conversion kit with no signs of cracking the round slide yet. I bought more S&B ammo and some Hornady 180 gr XTP hollow points for self defense and back up gun for future hog hunting expeditions. I will test it in the near future with the Hornady and see how it does.

Offline legionofdoon

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 11:02:54 PM »
I've put probably around 800-1000 rounds thru mine. I was initially afraid of the cracked slide issue even though I had a "square" slide so I wanted to abuse it quickly to make sure it would hold up. From what I understand the cracking issue was from a flawed hardening process during a limited time frame.