Author Topic: P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix - Updated with Glock spring  (Read 41001 times)

Offline earlan357

P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix - Updated with Glock spring
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:27:58 AM »
So I noticed that the P-10C mag release button is pretty hard to activate without adjusting your grip.  It's quite rough feeling when pressed too.  I studied the parts and found where I could smooth it out.

The catch itself is already pretty smooth.  Still, I polished the circled area with a dremel, a felt wheel, and some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

On the release button, the upper sections of the "V" slides along the bottom of the mag catch as it's pressed.  Mine had a very rough edge on both sides.

The "V" is 90 degrees, so I used a Brownells X-Fine Ceramic stone to clean up the edges.  I slide the release button back and forth a dozen or so times.

Below you can see the spots that got smoothed by the ceramic stone.

Now the release is smooth and much easier to activate.  I can release the mag without shifting my thumb now.

---Update--

So I was talking back and forth with rich63 and I decided to see if I had any other springs that could lighten up the mag release button. 

Left: P-10C mag release spring    Right: Glock 19 factory firing pin safety spring

The Glock spring fits perfectly and really drops the mag release button effort, similar to my M&P .22.  It feels good with an empty mag but it's almost too light with no mag or the mag loaded and the slide locked back.  Without the follower pushing against the slide release, there's no extra resistance from the mag and I'm afraid I might accidentally release it while shooting or completing a reload.  I'm going to leave it in though and see what happens at my pistol class this weekend.

Update:

Well the Glock spring made the button easier to press.  Too easy.  Twice I accidentally pressed it with my support hand palm while shooting during the class.  Admittedly, it was during 10 shot rapid fire strings where I got lazy with my grip.  Probably fine for competition only, but I put the factory spring back in during a lunch break and didn't have any issues since.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:43:15 AM by earlan357 »

Offline milq

• Steel on target
Re: P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:35:48 AM »
Good on ya for jumping in there and checking it out!
NRA Basic Pistol Instuctor, IL FCCA Instructor.

http://jc-steelontarget.blogspot.com/ and check out www.illinoiscarry.com to learn more about CCW in IL.

Offline dpsk

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
No matter what I try I can't see the pictures.  They load as a broken link.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
They look fine to me. What are you trying to view them on? If at work, some employers wifi blocks some pics.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline dpsk

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »
Home computer using Chrome, and a Chromebook.
Edit: weird, just tried to copy and paste things into Firefox and they all load fine.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:20:36 PM by dpsk »

Offline earlan357

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
-Updated
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:47:48 PM by earlan357 »

Offline rich63

Re: P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix - Updated with Glock spring
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:41:47 PM »
Please let us know how the mag release works for you this weekend. And oh, good luck in your pistol class.

rich63

Offline XeroSygnal

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »
Is it possible to remove the mag release to do the clean-up work on it without having to strip other parts of the frame?  Or do I need to remove those parts to get to the mag release?

Offline earlan357

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »
Is it possible to remove the mag release to do the clean-up work on it without having to strip other parts of the frame?  Or do I need to remove those parts to get to the mag release?

Yes you can just remove the mag release pin.  I would also at least remove the trigger pin.   lets the trigger move forward to give you a little more space.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:08:58 PM »
Just got back from my class.  The magazine is harder to release when the slide is closed because the mag spring is pushing against the bottom of the slide.  When you press the mag button slowly, you can actually see the magazine raise into the frame a tiny bit before it releases.  When the slide is back and there are rounds in the mag, there is zero spring pressure and the mag button is easier to press.  With the lighter Glock striker safety installed, it was too light.  I had the mag drop out twice during speed shooting drills.  Two other shooters dropped the mag while firing too.  The factory spring is going back in.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
Thanks, Earland357, for trying the lighter spring.  No progress without experimentation. 

Have you had any thoughts about the trigger safety, possibly trimming it some to avoid the initial catch on the frame if you don't have your trigger finger exactly perpindicular to the safety blade?
Maybe this was unique to my gun or my trigger finger, but the safety would not release cleanly for me as delivered.   

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline earlan357

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »
Thanks, Earland357, for trying the lighter spring.  No progress without experimentation. 

Have you had any thoughts about the trigger safety, possibly trimming it some to avoid the initial catch on the frame if you don't have your trigger finger exactly perpindicular to the safety blade?
Maybe this was unique to my gun or my trigger finger, but the safety would not release cleanly for me as delivered.   

Joe

Mine did that too.  Legally speaking, it's probably not a good idea to mes with safety parts on a gun.  That said, mine "wore down from use".  Not a lot, maybe the thickness of  1 or 2 human hairs.  :)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
This isn't a home or self defense gun.  Besides, the safety still works as intended by me.  There is some liability associated with pulling the trigger normally and it getting hung, too.  I was not going to leave it alone even if it were a carry gun or a self defense pistol as a primary purpose.  Mine is worn now as well. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »
It appears that with almost every firearm, some parts experience "accelerated wear" on certain parts... ;D My Scorpion right side safety wore all the way down to nub!  8)

Offline eastman

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
It appears that with almost every firearm, some parts experience "accelerated wear" on certain parts... ;D My Scorpion right side safety wore all the way down to nub!  8)

That was awfully convenient. I had to buy a $13 part to get mine like that. Since it is primarily a demo gun, it needed to stay factory parts.
I don't look like my avatar!

anything