Author Topic: P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix - Updated with Glock spring  (Read 41000 times)

Offline Jrpsaros

Re: P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix - Updated with Glock spring
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 07:35:01 PM »
So I'm trying to figure out this heavy mag release issue, I notice with no magazine the release pressure isn't bad, with a mag it's almost unusable.  I noticed the mag has around an 1/8th inch of play when inserted and if I push up on the magazine that the pressure is the same as if there is no mag in the gun...any one have any ideas on what's "pushing" the mag down once inserted?

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »
Same here. With a loaded mag and the slide in battery, I cannot drop the mag without laying the gun on its side and pressing the mag release using both thumbs! With slide locked back mag release works quite easily. Same thing with slide stop. I have to lay the gun on its side and press with 2 thumbs. I understand things might be a little tight on a new gun but they should be functional. Tried working both manually probably 100 times or so and it made no difference. Any suggestions? Going to the range tomorrow and have my fingers crossed.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
So I'm trying to figure out this heavy mag release issue, I notice with no magazine the release pressure isn't bad, with a mag it's almost unusable.  I noticed the mag has around an 1/8th inch of play when inserted and if I push up on the magazine that the pressure is the same as if there is no mag in the gun...any one have any ideas on what's "pushing" the mag down once inserted?

The magazine follower is putting upward pressure on either the slide or slide lock.  Explanation here:
https://youtu.be/Wfb7m--XR80?t=76

Offline dondavis3

• YourCorvette.com
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 08:06:14 AM »
Thanks for posting that is very helpful and good information to have
CZ 75 Compact Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI P  9mm
CZ 75 P-07 Duty
CZ 75 P-09 Duty
CZ P-10 C

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
Jrpsaros. It seems we have the same issue with the mag release. I bought some ammo for a range trip today , loaded 1 mag, inserted and found that I have to actually lay the gun down and press as hard as I can on the mag release to remove the mag. It was pretty stiff on an empty mag , almost impossible with the full one. Saw the video on smoothing things out but this is beyond lack of smoothness.With slide locked back, its very easy, empty or full. I only have a G27 to compare it too but it seemed like the mag was very difficult to load. More difficult than the G27 which is pretty stiff. Do you have the same issue with the slide stop? Pretty much impossible to use without laying gun on the bench and pressing very hard with both thumbs. If I apply very slight rearward  pull on slide it works normally. I have done probably 200 dry fires with no improvement to the slide stop and a buttload of mag releases with no improvement there either. Trigger feels heavier than my stock G27 and has a little "bump" right before the wall. It's not the little safety dingus hitting the frame as others have seen. Maybe it's normal but I did not feel it on the T&E sample I saw at CZ Customs. Anyone in AZ want to compare guns? Cleaned and lubed and no improvement at all. Not giving up on it but so far the "Improving on Perfection" is starting to wear a little thin!

Offline Jrpsaros

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »
BobcatAZ yes that sounds exactly like what mines doing, I overhand power rack anyway, so I didn't notice the side release initially, but yes I cannot get it to release with a reasonable amount of force.

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »
Jrpsaros. I was debating whether I was going to send the gun in or take it to the range as planned. Well, just got back from the range and am happy to report, the gun was flawless! Shot 100 each of 115 and 124 grain Blazer Brass at 11 and 25 yards and the gun made me look like a close range sniper. No malfunctions, no brass to the face. Slide stop and mag release, while still a little on the stiff side, were both functional. Maybe run another couple hundred through it and see if things improve even more. Trigger was good. Still has that little bump right before the wall but the break was very crisp. Need to practice  shooting from the reset more but thats me not the gun. If anyone would have told me it would improve this much from a couple hundred rounds I would have said bull. Live and learn and I am in love again!

Offline Jrpsaros

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
That's great news!

Offline rich63

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
BobcatAZ,

If the mag release is still an issue for you, follow instructions earlan357's here in this thread. You do not need to do a complete disassembly. Remove the mag release pin and trigger pin. That's it. I followed his instructions here in this thread and my mag release is now smooth and no longer an issue for me.

rich63
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:06:26 PM by rich63 »

Offline BobcatAZ

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:22 AM »
May give that a shot but I would like to find a good set of punches before attempting any amateur gunsmithing. Never bought a set and was wondering if everything on CZ's is metric. I need one to try the other backstraps and someone said that pin was 2mm or 5/64". Just another thing I noticed after cleaning and reloading a mag after my range visit. If I load 15 rounds, insert mag then try to release, it's very, very stiff. If I only load 14 it's fine. I figure that's probably normal as that 15th round would normally be chambered anyway.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 01:53:47 AM »
That's an interesting thought.

Offline Diamondbackmike2004

• Shooters assume the firing position
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »
That's an interesting thought.

well...armoredman....a glock saved the day
I might know what im talking about....but today, I don't.....

Offline earlan357

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
May give that a shot but I would like to find a good set of punches before attempting any amateur gunsmithing. Never bought a set and was wondering if everything on CZ's is metric. I need one to try the other backstraps and someone said that pin was 2mm or 5/64". Just another thing I noticed after cleaning and reloading a mag after my range visit. If I load 15 rounds, insert mag then try to release, it's very, very stiff. If I only load 14 it's fine. I figure that's probably normal as that 15th round would normally be chambered anyway.

With the slide closed, if you press the mag button slowly and watch the magazine baseplate, it actually moves up into the gun a tiny bit before releasing.  This is due to the geometry of the mag catch. So the magazine spring is getting compressed, fighting the mag button.  More ammo = more spring tension in the mag.  If the slide is locked back, there's no extra resistance and the button is easy to press.  I polished the top lip of the mag catch to make it smoother and it helped a lot.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
I had been smug and dumb thinking mine was working just fine until I re read - FULL magazine. So, I tried it. Yep, it's stiff as a life sentence, but I can get it to move with thumb pressure. Lacking any of the gunsmithing tools or know how, I figured if I just keep working the button back and forth it should wear in, best I can come up with, but I do know that if I have t get a loaded mag out, I can do it. Probably wore in some from range day the other day. ;)

Offline WilburWildcat

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »
Maybe dumb question here:

I was polishing the mag release today as described in the video above.

After reassembly, I noticed the spring just in front of the magazine catch was bent back.  I think I may have done that inadvertently, as the spring shown in the video looks straight and tight.

To confirm, the spring in front of the mag catch sits in a hole just in front of the mag well.  Does the top of that spring rest against the underside of the front lip of the magazine catch?  There is also a black plastic piece from the trigger assembly that sits above the same hole and behaves as if it a part of the trigger return.  Cannot tell in the video.

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I think I'm going to have to replace that spring...

THX!
CGW P-07
P-10C Optic Ready

anything