Author Topic: The never-ending quest for good sights  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Val

The never-ending quest for good sights
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:01:42 PM »
I'm reviewing sights for my CZ 75 B and have more or less whittled it down to Trijicon's Bright & Tough sights (all green CZ02 or with yellow rear CZ02Y), and the Meprolight ML-17777. I shoot mostly indoor and need good dot clarity, but don't want a dot so big that it compromises accuracy. I looked at the TFX's, too, but didn't care for them as much as I thought I would. I've seen the Triji's on a full size gun, but have never seen the Mepros except in online photos. All suggestions welcome, including photos and comparisons, and deep thoughts on sights. Thank you.
CZ 75 B
My CZ is smarter than your honor student.

Offline Pops1911

Re: The never-ending quest for good sights
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:32:36 PM »
I run a set of the Meprolight ML-17777s myself.  No complaints at all.  Plenty accurate and nice lights in the dark.
If you find yourself in a fair gunfight, your tactics stink!

Offline Val

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
Thanks, Pops1911. Any feelings about the Trijicons in comparison?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:57:49 PM by Val »
CZ 75 B

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »
I have Trijicons on another firearm.  They too are good sights and tough also. I would like to see the different colored front sight [orange] in the dark.  You can't go wrong either way IMHO.  Have fun deciding ...

Offline MattStainless

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »
I like night sights on a carry gun, but I use my 75b mostly as a range gun and prefer a fiber optic front sight (red), with all black rear sight. My eyes pick up the sight quickly.

Currently using Dawson precision sights and really like them.

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:06:05 PM »
Hey val. Ask yourself what the intended use of your CZ will be.  Carry/defensive shooting?  Range work and targets?  Competition?  Showing off for friends when out shooting?  Once you answer that question for yourself your sights will choose you!  Watch your 6!   Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound so Zen :-)

Offline Val

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:09:17 AM »
@MattStainless: Like you, I mostly use my 75 B as a range gun. When I got this gun, I always knew I'd have to get a compact carry as a more reasonable defense weapon. And really, either the Mepros or Trijicons would be more than ample for that situation. I think I'll call Dawson Precision tomorrow and talk with them about my 75 B. I'm not used to black rear sights, so I'm not sure if that's a big leap for me or not. I've noticed the Tritium/fiber optics offerings for CZ are pretty slim, too. That would've covered all bases though.

@Pops1911: Yep, that's the whole thing: intended use of my 75 B should be driving the kind of sights that go on it. No, I don't shoot to impress friends. In fact, when I do try to impress my friends, they say, "Who are you again?"
CZ 75 B

Offline Superlow1200T

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:46 AM »
I've tried most of these and I still swear by the Tfx sights.

The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility -- protecting it with his life.  The civilian does not.

Offline Val

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »
@Superlow: I've only seen the TFX Pro with the orange ring. This must be the other TFX Day/Night Sight. I definitely like the white contrast better than the orange. 

Okay <scribble, scribble> I'm putting fiber optics back on the list for consideration, but edited to say that I think I should stick with one or the other, either a high quality fiber optic system like Matt has, or a good Tritium set with good quality materials. I'm mostly shooting in moderate light, which is why this is a bit tricky. What I really need are more guns. Obviously.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:38:10 PM by Val »
CZ 75 B

Offline CZ_Like_Sunday_Mornin

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
I have the Truglo TFX Pros on my PCR, and the Dawson precision fiber optic from Cajun Gun Works on my full-size 75b. Both are excellent and totally different.

Offline Val

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »
CZ_Like_Sunday_Morning: Thank you for your input. You're right, there are a lot of choices in terms of type (fiber optic, tritium, combo) and quality. Everyone here has provided invaluable information to consider. Of course, everyone likes their choices, whether it's fiber optic from Dawson or Cajun, or commercial Trijicons, Mepros or TFX. 

I've looked at various offerings, like fiber optics from Dawson and Cajun with front/rear fiber optic or front fiber optic/rear black serrated. For Trijicon, Cajun's version has rear inserts in what looks like serrated steel and the front insert is bigger than the rear. I've seen the Trijicon Bright & Tough on a full-size pistol, and they were not bad at all in artificial lighting. I've never seen a Meprolight. I'll revisit TFX because it's possible the ones I saw didn't have enough light or weren't working properly. Superlow's photos are a lot brighter than the ones I saw.

Well, that should narrow it down. ;)
CZ 75 B

Offline Kisssofdeath

• Live today as if it was your last day.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 06:19:23 AM »
I have bought several sets of Ameriglo sights for my Sigs.  You may want to take a look at those.
Thanks,
Tim

If you know how many guns you have ...you don't have enough.

Offline Val

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 01:03:06 PM »
@Kissofdeath: I don't think Ameriglo makes sights for CZ... do they?
CZ 75 B

Offline Kisssofdeath

• Live today as if it was your last day.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »
I am not sure as I have never looked for any.  I know when I was searching for the Ameriglo size and trying to correlate a height size with Sig sights they had a lot to offer.  One thing that seems kind of strange is I have bought Ameriglo front sights and they have had Trijicon on the side and some I have bought have not.
Thanks,
Tim

If you know how many guns you have ...you don't have enough.

Offline JBLee

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
If you are willing to go with something other then night sights, I use and recommend Cajun EZ D sights. Made for Cajun by Dawson Precision. I love the sight picture and the bonus that they add 1/2 inch to your sight radius over stock sights.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/ezd-9-40-for-9mm-and-40-sw/
No matter where you go..there you are - Buckaroo Banzai