Author Topic: The never-ending quest for good sights  (Read 8901 times)

Offline Val

Re: The never-ending quest for good sights
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 07:23:39 PM »
@JBLee: Are you using the Cajun fiber optic/black rear on the 75 full size? I think @MattStainless uses these, too. You mean there's a half inch of the front sight closer to the rear sight? Or some other thing? When you look through the notch, is there any breathing room or does the front sight fill the notch? I've tried black rear, but in lower light, I found it a little difficult to find where I was on the vertical. That may be a matter of practice. Dawson has a front (red) and rear (green) fiber optic, but I don't know if they make them for CZ 75 series. They're pretty nice though.

@Tim/Kissofdeath: Trijicon is a maker of various optics, including tritium sights. They sell not only their own sights, like Bright & Tough, but also sell parts to other companies. I have a feeling that these companies do a lot of commerce with each other.
CZ 75 B
My CZ is smarter than your honor student.

Offline Superlow1200T

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
For the Tfx sights the "pro" version has the orange-rimmed front sight and the non-pro has the white rimmed front sight.  As best I can tell that is the only difference.  I have the "pro" on one of my CZs and the non-pro on two others and I slightly (very slightly) prefer the non-pro. 
The difference between a citizen and a civilian is that the citizen makes the safety of the body politic his personal responsibility -- protecting it with his life.  The civilian does not.

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
For the Tfx sights the "pro" version has the orange-rimmed front sight and the non-pro has the white rimmed front sight.  As best I can tell that is the only difference.  I have the "pro" on one of my CZs and the non-pro on two others and I slightly (very slightly) prefer the non-pro.

The Pro version also has a "U" notch in the rear sight, as opposed to a square cut.

Offline Kisssofdeath

• Live today as if it was your last day.
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 08:04:48 PM »
Thanks Val for point that out.

A long time ago I bought night sights for my Shield and with the rear U notch.  I find it to be distracting to my eye balls.  :o
Thanks,
Tim

If you know how many guns you have ...you don't have enough.

Offline redbaron

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
I tried both the TFX Pros and regular TFXs on my CZ and was not happy with how they fit. Apparently there's enough variation between the different CZ models that they make a one-size-fits all sight, which means you could find that there's a sizable gap between the underside of you sights and the top of the slide. I could fit 6 pieces of copy paper underneath the front sight and about the same under the rear. THey were solid in the dovetails, but I just didn't like how the gap looked.

Using Dawsons now, FO front, black rear. Love it

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
Wish TFX would sell the front only.

Offline FLCZ

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
Another vote for the Truglo TFX Pro sights. Have them on my PCR and 75 BD. I use the Orange/Green on the front sight.
CZ 75 BD, CZ 75 D PCR

Offline Continental Op

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »
Wish TFX would sell the front only.

Ditto.  I'd like that front sight with a plain black rear.

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »
I have the Truglow TFX (green, white ring) on my 75BD and am very happy with them.  They fit flat and snug to the frame top strap with no gap.

Offline Val

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
@cranky: good to hear that the TFX are snug on the CZ 75 full size. That's important.

I really appreciate all the input from everyone here. Last week I looked at the TFX and TFX Pro; the Meprolight Tru-Dots on a spanking new RAMI; Trijicon Bright & Tough; and various fiber optic sights, some of which are made for the CZ, some which are not. I've not seen the Cajun or Dawson Precision fiber optics yet, but I like a bright no-halo red fiber optic front with either green FO or black rear. Cajun Gun works also has their own version of a Trijicon (310-221). The TFX is conceptually the most interesting with both FO and tritium. I get a bit of swim with the U-notch, but then again, I don't like a sight picture where there's no breathing room (especially with a 3 dot).

Once I get it narrowed down to 2-3, I'll consider the sight picture and sight radius. With the 75 B, I'll mostly be doing range and target shooting. This is why I think I should probably go with a fiber optic or a fiber optic/Tritium like the TFX. But some of these tritium sights are amazing in various lighting, too.

So, that's where I am now.   :-\
CZ 75 B

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
Val, I have also used Mepro night sights on a full sized CZ.  The POA/POI was dead on using a center hold.  Just as bright as TruGlow and cheaper.

I did try TruGlow on a Compact and was very unhappy.  The pistol shot 4-6 inches low regardless of bullet weight.  Sorry, no way am I switching my POA 6-8 inches high to compensate.  That Compact now wears Mepro.  Perfect!

Offline Val

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »
Val, I have also used Mepro night sights on a full sized CZ.  The POA/POI was dead on using a center hold.  Just as bright as TruGlow and cheaper. I did try TruGlow on a Compact and was very unhappy.  The pistol shot 4-6 inches low regardless of bullet weight.  Sorry, no way am I switching my POA 6-8 inches high to compensate.  That Compact now wears Mepro.  Perfect!

@Cranky, sort of wish I had seen your post earlier. I'm sort of hoping that there might've been an error in how your Truglos were installed or sighted in. I just ordered the Truglo TFX. I will not be happy with them if the POA/POI are off by that much with a center hold. I can get good accuracy with the factory sights; it's just that they are dull. The Mepros are remarkably bright even in bright indoor lighting.

I did ask around -- I think it's possible that your Truglo sights might not have been put on or sighted
properly. I don't know what the situation was for that. It's even possible they were defective for some reason.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:42:30 PM by Val »
CZ 75 B

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 09:12:09 PM »
Val, I purchased the CZ Compact (used) with TruGlows already installed.  So, yes, it is possible they were installed incorrectly.  It is also possible the previous owner sold the pistol because it shot so low.  Luckily, it was well priced.

Please come back and tell us how they work for you.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 04:45:04 PM »
Can definitely sympathize with the quest for the "perfect sights", especially as my eyes have gotten older (just my eyes, not the rest of me lol). I bet I've gone through as many sights as I have holsters and could open my own store with what I have :)  Since my vision has gotten to where the front sight is pretty fuzzy, having contrasting colors between front and rear is crucial for me. I've found 3 sights that work really well for me. Having tritium for night time really isn't important to me since they don't do anything to light up my target and beyond so need a flashlight anyway, but certain ones do help with low light situation. My favorite overall are Ameriglo Spartan Operator with the black outlined subdued tritium rear with orange outlined front. Wish they made sights for CZ's tho.  Otherwise black rear and fiber optic red work well in bright light...very good contrast. But my favorite so far for CZ's are the TFX Pro's w/orange front outline. The combo of fiber optic and tritium work great in all lighting conditions. I do wish the rears weren't quite so bright and may even try a different all black rear with the TFX Pro front. I just put a set on my CZ75 D Compact and as someone mentioned there is space between the front of the rear sight and the slide, but the back of the rear sight is flush as is the front sight. I haven't shot it yet with these but a laser boresighter shows them to be dead on center of dot as pic shows. Also got a couple pics in various indoor lighting. I may try to darken the rears as they are really bright but still probably my favorite over just fiber optic. Curious to see how you like them as well.

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
Jigo, please come back and give us a range report after you have had the opportunity to shoot your Compact.