Author Topic: The never-ending quest for good sights  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Val

Re: The never-ending quest for good sights
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 10:39:14 PM »
@Jigo: Funny about the eyes getting older but not the rest of you.  8) As for the contrasting colors, I did struggle with the decision between orange and white. I think I'm more accustomed to a square notch, but either one would've been fine. Yep, it's too bad Ameriglo doesn't make sights for CZ, because I might've gone in the direction of the Hackathorns. For red FO/black rear, I would've gone with Cajun Gun Works. I see you are now considering darkening the rear of your TFX. Keep us posted on what you decide to do and how you decide to do it. That's good news that boresighter showed them to be dead center.  Very informative post.

Well, I just got my TFX sights today. I taped them to a stick at the same sight radius and wow, not bad, not bad at all. I think it's going to work out. I looked at them in three different settings, from light to dark, and they look good. The rear sights are a little bright, but I don't want to judge that yet until I try it out. Will keep y'all updated.
CZ 75 B
My CZ is smarter than your honor student.

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
That's what black Sharpies are for.  Darken those rear sights and they will still shine at night.  Just not as brightly.
If you find yourself in a fair gunfight, your tactics stink!

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 11:47:27 PM »
Well just got back from the 2nd range trip with the TFX's on the compact and both times shot very consistently and very accurately...BUT, if you aren't a fan of a "combat sight picture" as shown in #3 of the chart below, then these sights may not be for you.

For me, this is a great sight picture to use for defensive shooting (military or civilian use), to quickly put multiple accurate rounds in center mass of intended target. I personally love this sight picture for use on "night stand guns" when you could have to transition from fast asleep to jarred awake grab your pistol and flashlight and are at DEFCON 1 in an instant. You aren't bullseye shooting then you are putting as many rounds as fast as you can behind what the front dot is centered on.

Also very effective on compact pistols at short range and with these sights, especially if you darken the rear FO/Tritium dots as you feel is needed. The orange outlined front sight jumps right out there (even more helpful for us older guys since they insist on making all these bleep front sights blurrier and blurrier nowadays lol) and at short range the brain will automatically try and center the orange circle equidistant between the darkened posts and sitting in the "U" of rear sight notch. At 10-15 yds dumping a mag into a salad plate sized target is a piece of cake, love these sights! 

The hard part though is if you regularly shoot multiple guns with multiple sight configurations, especially when those sights are set up more like #2 in the chart above which is what I much more prefer when shooting bullseye type range shooting, steel plates, or for competition type shooting etc, OR if I had a crucial head shot, mainly because the front dot (or blade) doesn't completely obscure your desired point of impact as it does with #3. The #2 sight picture of course allows you to more easily see where your rounds are impacting and adjust point of aim slightly if needed.  I like this sight setup on my 1911's. It's not that big a deal if you practice with both sight setups, can easily transition between the two.

Anyway, to summarize, I really dig the TFX Pro's on the CZ compacts/PCR's. Darkening rear dots optional per your own preferences. I shot a mag rapid fire without rears darkened and didn't distract me from the orange front much at all. Tho I do like darkening the rear simply because I love the Ameriglo UC and Hackathorn black sights on my Glocks and M&Ps which for me make that orange front stand out even more.

Offline zormpas

• Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    • Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 02:16:20 PM »
Another TFX user here - love 'em. Have the "non-Pro" on my 75BD - I'm sure the "Pro" would be just fine as well, but they didn't exist when I got mine. Am going to be picking up a single stack compact 9 soon (Probably LC9s), and will be putting TFX sights on it as well. Its the best of both worlds, I don't know why anyone would limit themselves to FO or Tritium *only* when these are available.

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »
JIGO, you say..."if you aren't a fan of a "combat sight picture" as shown in #3 of the chart below, then these sights may not be for you."

Could you explain why you say this?  Do the sights hit low if one uses the 6 o'clock rather than the "center" hold?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
These sights require the 3 dots to be aligned "ON" the POI required.  These are often used with center mass type targets in SD pistols.
They are just as consistent/accurate  as any sight,  but cover up the POI with  smaller targets.  You'll not see these on target pistols such as 22 rimfire and others.  Sights for smaller targets usually require the "TOPS" of the front and rear sights to be aligned and the point of impact/the bullet hole will show exactly at that point on the target. 
With target sights a 9mm,  a perfect shot with perfect sights would have half of the 9mm diameter hole show above the front sight.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=60117.msg391511#msg391511

Offline Val

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
CZ 75 B with Truglo TFX
3 different light settings

CZ 75 B

Offline Val

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »
I just had my new sights installed (see above photo). At 7 yards, my groupings are typically within a 2"-3" radius of center with a few outliers, but with the new sights my center shifted downward by 1"-1-1/2", which is a little disappointing. I wonder if this is something peculiar to the older TFX [update: no, it isn't], and whether the newer TFX Pro's are more accurate [update: no, not according to Truglo]. But I just replaced my grips to Hogues, too, and they are not perfect to my natural grip, so that could be causing it, too. I'm not going to get dismayed yet. I've only been to the range once since putting on new sights and grips, and have a few things to try out to try to identify what is affecting my shooting. @Jigo: I'm glad to hear the TFX Pro's worked out really well on your CZ compacts -- and a good tip, too, thanks. I shoot the #3 sight picture, too, which makes it surprising why I'm shooting a little low since changing everything out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:39:12 PM by Val »
CZ 75 B

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 12:11:57 AM »
Val, I presume you were shooting off hand.  Did you try shooting from a rest?

Offline Val

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
@cranky: I didn't change hand position or stance because to test I'm trying to keep things "equal". A 1"-2" difference can seem like a mile if it's going in the wrong direction, but there's only two new factors -- sights and grips -- so this shouldn't take long to figure out. It could just be that I have to make some minor adjustments myself.
CZ 75 B

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
JIGO, you say..."if you aren't a fan of a "combat sight picture" as shown in #3 of the chart below, then these sights may not be for you."

Could you explain why you say this?  Do the sights hit low if one uses the 6 o'clock rather than the "center" hold?
Mounted on the CZ 75 Compact/PCR yeah you sure would be hitting low. You have to line up the tops edges of the front and rear sight and the actual dot itself which of course is slightly below the top of the post and centered over and covering your intended point of impact.

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »
Added the Cajun EZ sights and am also shooting lower by 1.5 to 2". I'm having trouble finding the top edge of the back sights so that could be part of the issue. Added a thin line of paint to the top ridge to see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 10:44:39 PM »
Your pic has the rear sight in focus.  When shooting,  the "front sight" is in clear focus and the long black line at the top of the rear sight  will be more noticeable as it levels with the top of the in-focus front sight. 
My glasses have to be able to see the target clearly first then switch to the front sight. so I had the near vision section cut low,  so with a normal extension of the pistol the front sight and the target can be viewed clearly without tipping my head up and/or down,  kind of like a chicken.. :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:52:30 PM by 1SOW »

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Your pic has the rear sight in focus.  When shooting,  the "front sight" is in clear focus and the long black line at the top of the rear sight  will be more noticeable as it levels with the top of the in-focus front sight. 
My glasses have to be able to see the target clearly first then switch to the front sight. so I had the near vision section cut low,  so with a normal extension of the pistol the front sight and the target can be viewed clearly without tipping my head up and/or down,  kind of like a chicken.. :D

Yep, the rear sight is in focus because I was showing the paint I had applied. When shooting that afternoon and focusing on the front sight I was wasn't picking up the top line of the rear sight as well as I would have liked. Hence the paint application. May or may not help, I'll find out soon.

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Val, I am not sure the Pro version sits differently on the slide.  I have the same sights as you have on my CZ75 BD (2009 factory date) and they not only sit flat and snug but also shoot POA-POI using a center hold just as the factory sights did.

With the new sights I needed make no changes in my grip or sight picture. 

I must say, I am puzzled that your CZ is now shooting low.  I suppose it is possible that the sight channels may be machined with different depth tolerances from unit to unit.