Author Topic: Why are thin grips so popular?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline dbarn

Why are thin grips so popular?
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »
There are thick grips and there are palm swells. But........

For the purpose of this discussion, please tell me why thin grips? What advantages do they offer??

Offline Meechy7648

Re: Why are thin grips so popular?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:56:48 PM »
From my perspective: I have huge hands... Certain guns (very few) are pretty wide (some Sigs come to mind) for even my hands and thinner grips give that extra measure of control and grip. Try a Sig P226 with wood grips - it feels like a plank. Thinner grips make it a lot more ergonomic, especially someone with smaller hands than I. Palm swells have the same purpose (ergonomics and control) and can be thinner or OEM grip size (75B palm swell grips, for example - can give you a little more grip with the familiarity of the OEMs.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »
I like them for 2 reasons.
1. I have small hands
2. I find that it's more comfortable to carry IWB

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
I've gone back and forth over the years, mainly did the thin grips due to "peer pressure"  ;D  Well, kind of.....just something new, kinda all the rage at the time....honestly the palm swells are the most comfortable and give a better feel of control, your hand is "attached" to the gun, more contact equals more control typically.

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:19:30 PM »
I'm another one that has small hands, and they made a world of difference handling my old P-01. Slimmed it up for me nicely!

OEM:

Thin:

Offline 7Left

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:37 PM »
I'm generally not a fan of thin grips. I prefer palm swells to fill in my palms while holding the pistol. I like the stock grips on the CZ 75, Sig Sauer P226, and Beretta 92.

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:26 PM »
I have small to medium hands.  The thinner grips on my Sig and CZ pistols helps me get just a bit more comfortable trigger reach as well as better purchase on the grip itself.

Offline Louiczana

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 11:48:34 PM »
I've got the regular and the thin grips. According to my golf glove size I'm a M/L. I much prefer the stock grips.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 12:19:37 AM »
Thin grips are nice for reloading, but my DA pull suffers as a result. I've moved on to SSI Scales 2.0... hopefully they work out, but they did pretty well today.

Offline andrew1220

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
I have decent sized hands and the thin grips don't help me at all. Even the palm swell LOK grips could be wider (for me) but they'll do for now.

Offline The Conservative

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
For some slim are more ergonomic than the thick grips.  I have tried them and they seem like they might be better for carry, but with my oversized paws larger grips universally work better.  Palm swells make think grips even sweeter for me.  It is just about preferences.
“The projectiles need to go where they will make the guy leak the quickest.  Your goal is to depressurize the circulatory system – let air in, let fluid out. Bonus points for any other disruptions, but don’t count on them.”   Pat Rogers

Offline aguila9

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »
For me thin grips are more comfortable, which is odd since I have huge hands and for a portion of my career had thought that larger or thicker grips were the way to go. It wasn't until I participated in a regional F.B.I. Firearms instructor school that I discovered that I shot better and felt more in control of the weapon when it was outfitted in smaller/thinner grips or grip panels. This goes for both pistols and revolvers.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »
I have small to medium hands.  The thinner grips on my Sig and CZ pistols helps me get just a bit more comfortable trigger reach as well as better purchase on the grip itself.

This is a common comment for thinner grips.......the Reach Reduction Kits (RRK's) at Cajun Gun Works, is really a better fix than scrapping the factory palm swell or equivalent grips.  The cost is about the same for grips or the RRK, but the RRK really makes a huge difference and is fully adjustable to each shooter. Just my experience....... ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:05:19 AM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline dbarn

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
It would  seemingly make sense that the palm swell grips would give better contact and control.

I've often wondered however if getting more of your hand around the actual pistol itself (which the thinner grips allow) or having a gripper textured palm swell that fills the void in your palm would give better control.

It's interesting that the CZ "upgraded" pistols come with thin aluminum grips.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
It would  seemingly make sense that the palm swell grips would give better contact and control.

I've often wondered however if getting more of your hand around the actual pistol itself (which the thinner grips allow) or having a gripper textured palm swell that fills the void in your palm would give better control.

It's interesting that the CZ "upgraded" pistols come with thin aluminum grips.

I think it's more of a visual thing....kinda like car builders changing the body style every five years and making little changes every year in between.....gun grips are pretty easy to change to "freshen up" the appearance, albeit color or style of the grip.  Kinda one of those things that you never knew you needed until you were told you did  ;). Grips on older guns were very basic and utilitarian and worked pretty well....now they "need" to be space age materials and designs, literally.....just saying  ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:17:03 PM by CZ Aficionado »

anything