Author Topic: RMR question, who to go with  (Read 1326 times)

Offline omg

Re: RMR question, who to go with
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »
Could you post pics of your p07 with RMR?

Offline Edward_Teach

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
There are some companies who mill the slide so the RMR is between the ejection port and the rear sight.  I've seen pictures of them on this forum, or on others.

Mine were done by Primary Machine.  Both work great, look great and the P07, my EDC gun only started showing some holster wear a month or so ago.  It sometimes goes in/out of the holster 2 or 3 times a day (kydex and leather holster).  They machine the slide so the back up rear sight is between the RMR and the ejection port.  Not an issue for me.  My mind "ignores" the rear sight unless I want to use the iron sights.  I also believe the back up rear sight tends to afford the RMR some protection from any gas expelled during the ejection process and from possible strikers from empties if they were to bounce to the rear.

I'm very happy with mine.

If you have problems finding someone to set the slide up with the rear sight behind the RMR, consider a DP Pro dot sight.  You can buy the optional back up iron sight that mounts to the rear of the DP Pro.  That's how my wife's CZ 75 Compact is set up.

Yeah I think one of your posts was how I heard of primary so and so lol

I'm think I will go with them (they have the option of traditional sight set up but I don't know if that's actually for glock or m&p set ups) but their turn around time seems the best and they offer burnt bronze no extra charge
Glock Gen 5
When you want 1982 innovation today

Online M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 07:05:40 AM »

On this pistol (and the P09) the iron sights are down near the bottom of the RMR lens.  That's fine with me.  I can see them, if I look, but they in no way cause issues with the RMR dot.  On my wife's CZ 75 Compact with the DP Pro the iron sights and the dot are so close together my wife prefers to turn off the dot to shoot with the iron sights.  That's seems to be okay since the iron sights are there for when the battery operated/electronic DP Pro might possibly fail.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline s0nspark

• Talk is cheap!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
I had Mark @ L&M Precision Gunworks set up my sights to cowitness - I believe he uses custom Dawsons and, if needed, he will mill the front down to maintain the proper height relationship between front and rear.

I generally don't even notice the sights unless I am outdoors... and mainly then because I had him drill out the front sight for fiber ;-)

Next up for me is a P-09 with the same treatment!

"A man's character is his fate."

Offline aliguori1963

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
I had Mark @ L&M Precision Gunworks set up my sights to cowitness - I believe he uses custom Dawsons and, if needed, he will mill the front down to maintain the proper height relationship between front and rear.

I generally don't even notice the sights unless I am outdoors... and mainly then because I had him drill out the front sight for fiber ;-)

Next up for me is a P-09 with the same treatment!

Wow! I may have to just do exactly that on my p09!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Rick53

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
How does one get hold of Primary : I've emailed and Facebook Messaged to no avail. I also don't see where their site lists they do CZ Slide and or mill for anything besides an RMR.  Lets face it compared to Vortex and Deltapoint's ,RMR vision wise suck .  Rear sights are need on an EDC but not on a Competition Gun.

I used a Canik that had a Venom on it yesterday . It had been bore sighted . So I had no problem picking the dot up after recoil. I actually shot it much quicker then the M&P with the RMR . A Gun I've had for 4 years.  Granted the Venom isn't the rugged sight the RMR is : But the DP Pro Sure is 

Online M1A4ME

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
You know, I don't think Primary Machine is milling slides for DP Pros anymore.  I believe they've had issues with the sights not having enough elevation adjustment to sight in.  Enough customers (including me) had issues that they just stopped doing them.  I had to put a piece of shim under the rear of the sight to get enough elevation adjustment to sight it in.  I'd forgotten about that (tend to do that far too often these days). 
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Edward_Teach

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
Well just got the RMR ON order, should be in next week, went with the RM07.

And I am thinking I will be going with L and M to mill the slide, looks like a little bit if a longer lead time but they seem to be one of the few that put the rmr in front of the rear sights
Glock Gen 5

Offline LonChaney

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
Mark did my 07 and a 229. Great work all around. He used Sig suppressor night sights on mine.

Offline omg

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »
I have dual illuminated RMRs on two CZ's and a DP Pro on another.  I resisted, at first, due to the expense of the sights and the work to get the slide milled/refinished.  I wasted two years.

If the target is more than 10 or 15 feet away you won't have a good chance of putting a bullet on it if you don't use your sights.

Can some people hit well without using sights?  Sure, with lot's of practice.

How are your eyes?  Wear glasses?  I do.  If I lose my glasses my iron sights aren't going to do me much good.  With the RMR the dot goes blurry without glasses - but I can sure as hell see the blurry dot all by itself on the target vs. the front sight being invisible to me on the target.  Same for low light conditions.  The dot is there when even with my glasses I can't see the front sight well against the target.

Once you prove to yourself, that the dot doesn't have to be centered in the lens as long as it's on the target, and then practice shooting that way it's sort of like a laser.  They can't see it, but you can.  It's faster, once you learn to draw the gun and bring it up to your plane of sight properly.

With iron sights you have to align the front and rear sights with each other and then align the front sight on the target.  Three things to keep lined up.  With the dot you just put the dot on the target.  Two things to keep lined up.

What dot/sight works best for you?  That's a personal thing.  I like the dual illuminated RMRs.  No batteries.  No electronics.  The tritium should work for 10 to 12 years (I'll be around 70 years old when I have to send them back to Trijicon for rebuild).  Some people like small dots, some big, some even like the triangles (jury is still out for me on that one, but I've got a DP Pro I'm trying out on an AR15 pistol).

If dots don't work why are they becoming so popular in so many of the competitive shooting sports?  Why are so many gun companies starting to sell handguns already "cut" for these sights?

If you don't need them that's great.  I can go to the range, with the right glasses, and shoot my CZ 85's.  To be honest, the last year of so I've shot more ammo through the CZ 85's than the P09 or P07, but I EDC the P07 with an RMR on it.  The CZ 85 stays home unless I'm going to the range.

Good luck with it.  I'm a cheap bastard.  I don't know if it's being raised by a father who grew up during the great depression or our German roots, so spending more money on an RMR than my P07 cost was tough.  Spending 1/2 as much again to get the slide milled, BUIS installed and the slide refinished was hard, too.  I've got well over $1,000 in my P07 now and it's worth it.  I'd do it again,, too.
Which rmr did you get?

Online M1A4ME

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
RM05 on the P07 and RM05G on the P09.

I don't recommend the green dot (RM05G).  It is much harder to see the dot than the amber when lighting conditions are unfavorable (you in low light and the target in brighter light).

Offline omg

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
RM05 on the P07 and RM05G on the P09.

I don't recommend the green dot (RM05G).  It is much harder to see the dot than the amber when lighting conditions are unfavorable (you in low light and the target in brighter light).
Thx! I'm debating on doing this to my p07 as well.

Online M1A4ME

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 06:23:52 AM »
I know I keep saying this but it gets lost in older posts/threads:

With iron sights you have to keep three things lined up - front sight, rear sight and target.

With the dot you have to keep two things lined up - dot and target.

If you wear glasses and have trouble seeing the front sight and you lose the glasses, you may not be able to see that front sight.

If you wear glasses and lose them the dot becomes a fuzzy dot, but you can still easily see it.

You have to have the front sight centered in the rear sight and the front sight on the target (back to that lining things up).

With the dot all you have to do it put it on the target - the dot does NOT need to be centered in the lens.  I didn't believe it either, till I tried it myself.

Try it yourself.

1st shot - dot on target and centered in lens.
2nd shot - dot on target and near the top of the lens.
3rd shot - dot on target and near the left side of the lens.
4th shot - dot on target and near the bottom of the lens.
5th shot - dot on target and near the right side of the lens.

You'll be surprised at how all the bullets make a nice group where you had the dot on the target.  If you learn to use that it should increase your speed of putting holes in the target.  Learning to use the dot isn't easy but it's worth it.

Offline Edward_Teach

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
So back when I first bought my P07 (3 years ago or something, traded a gen 3 G17 with skimmer trigger for it) I started looking at the idea of a red dot on my carry gun.

I ended up buying a Burris Fast fire 3 and a dovetail mount.

I didn't really know all that much about back up irons (I did but was new and thought meh I won't need them)

Well didn't like the ff3 because of the auto turn off after x# of hours, would be ok for a range toy, which is what it is now, but more specifically didn't like the dovetail mount, not for a carry gun anyways.  But the two did show me how much I would like the concept of a milled red dot sight. 

Sadly not long after I went back to carrying a G17 (now with an agency arm's trigger)

But now that there are people milling for the P07 I'm switching back.  Next would be save those dollars and will be sending the gun to CGW and have them work that magic on the trigger and what not

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glock Gen 5

Offline s0nspark

• Talk is cheap!
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Next would be save those dollars and will be sending the gun to CGW and have them work that magic on the trigger and what not

If you are handy at all it isn't difficult to install the CGW parts yourself. I had always sent my steel-framed CZs to David cause I was intimidated by the thought of having to deal with the sear cage but on the Omega guns  it is surprisingly easy - especially given The great walkthrough vids on YouTube by Joe L and others.

I elected not to do any polishing, preferring to let the parts wear in naturally. I'd be the guy that accidentally overpolished LOL

Anyway, just food for thought.
"A man's character is his fate."

anything