Author Topic: Can't remove extractor pin  (Read 3073 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

Can't remove extractor pin
« on: May 17, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
I'm trying to remove my extractor to clean it because I'm getting a lot of FTE, but I cannot remove this extractor pin at all. It is staked from the factory, but I'm hitting it with my pins to no avail. I've already bent one steel pin.

Any tips?

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Can't remove extractor pin
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
Wait... is top to bottom the correct way to remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline aliguori1963

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
Have you tried a starter punch to knock that thing out? My P09 was staked also and Cz loves to stake their pins to high heaven

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »
Drive it down, from the top, out the bottom. Place the slide on a wooden block on a concrete floor. Use a big hammer. You don't need to drive it all the way  through, just enough to release the extractor.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »
Drive it down, from the top, out the bottom. Place the slide on a wooden block on a concrete floor. Use a big hammer. You don't need to drive it all the way  through, just enough to release the extractor.

I feel like an idiot. I don't know why I didn't drive from the top. That was my gut feeling, but told myself to do otherwise...

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
Unless you made that rectangular mark on the bottom,  it looks like it's staked. ???

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
Yea, I feel so silly since it came out so easily from the top..

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it wasn't that dirty behind the extractor... just some carbon residue that was very easily wiped off. Hopefully my FTE issues go away otherwise it'll be a pain to troubleshoot considering nothing has changed except the warmer weather.

Offline richc2048

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »
I've had to tune all but one extractor in my cz's. The problem came up usually after about 1k rounds.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
I've had to tune all but one extractor in my cz's. The problem came up usually after about 1k rounds.

That sounds like my situation. I didn't have to do this with my 85C.

What did you do to tune it?

Offline richc2048

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »
I removed firing pin, slow cycled a round into the chamber to see where it was getting caught up.
If the slide stops before going into battery, push on the back end of extractor to release the extractor from the cartridge. If it goes into battery by pushing the extractor out of the way, then you gotta see where it's rubbing and remove TINY amounts.

Offline richc2048

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 10:09:41 PM »
There's a good thread somewhere with pictures on what part to remove and what profile to keep on it.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:14 AM »
Look here for tuning and removal instructions:
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=14695.0

Offline SlvrDragon50

Can't remove extractor pin
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 12:55:18 AM »
I removed firing pin, slow cycled a round into the chamber to see where it was getting caught up.
If the slide stops before going into battery, push on the back end of extractor to release the extractor from the cartridge. If it goes into battery by pushing the extractor out of the way, then you gotta see where it's rubbing and remove TINY amounts.

Yeaaa. I saw that. I was hoping to not have to do that :|

It is indeed getting stuck right before battery. How do you see where it's rubbing? Look for wear? Never mind... I'm having trouble replicating this now? Not sure what to do.

How often should recoil springs be replaced? I imagine this spring has gone through 3-4k rounds now?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:09:45 AM by SlvrDragon50 »

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 04:14:06 PM »
How often should recoil springs be replaced? I imagine this spring has gone through 3-4k rounds now?

I started having the same problem as you with my 97B after about 2000 rounds. I replaced it with a heavier (18#) recoil spring and it completely fixed my problem.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »

I started having the same problem as you with my 97B after about 2000 rounds. I replaced it with a heavier (18#) recoil spring and it completely fixed my problem.

That's what I'm suspecting. I have an extra 11# spring that is brand new which I will use if I have a FTE again!