Author Topic: Can't remove extractor pin  (Read 3058 times)

Offline coolbox

Re: Can't remove extractor pin
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »
Have you tried different ammo?
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
Have you tried different ammo?

I have not. I do shoot some other ammo, but that was before the FTE stuff popped up. This ammo I've been using for the past 6 months with no issues including in the S2 for the past 3 months. I don't think it's ammo related since it's all from the same batch (bought a case of it).

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 11:46:28 AM »
Are you having failure to eject problems or failure to go into battery problems?

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 11:53:13 AM »
Are you having failure to eject problems or failure to go into battery problems?

Failure to eject.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 11:57:57 AM »
When the gun works properly how far are the ejected cases falling away from the gun? When you slide an empty case under the extractor does it go in easy? Will the extractor hold the empty case firmly in place against the breach face? Can you shake the slide and make the case come loose?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:05:40 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline SlvrDragon50

Can't remove extractor pin
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
When the gun works properly how far are the ejected cases falling away from the gun? When you slide an empty case under the extractor does it go in easy? Will the extractor hold the empty case firmly in place against the breach face? Can you shake the slide and make the case come loose?

I have no clue about #1 since I always shoot USPSA (where I don't pay attention) or in indoor ranges with barriers. That said, my shells always end up 1 or 2 bays over (on the bench, not hte floor so it's not just rolling).

It pushes in with effort, and it will not fall out from shaking the slide. However, it does not sit firmly against the breach face. It can move up and down.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:38:12 PM by SlvrDragon50 »

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »
When it fails is it a stove pipe or is the case sitting in line with the barrel?

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
When it fails is it a stove pipe or is the case sitting in line with the barrel?

In line with barrel. I suspect it falls off the extractor as the slide goes back, and it tries to load the next round while an empty case is there.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 09:46:35 PM »
If the extractor is holding the case as pictured and it took a little effort to slide it under and it held while you were trying to shake it loose it sounds like you either have an ammo problem, a recoil spring problem or your thumb is rubbing the slide. Once you slide the case in and get it fully under the extractor does it take any effort to push it out? You should be able to feel some tension but it won't be a whole lot, if so I would look at something else causing the problem. If you have tension on the case from the extractor and the cases are left facing forward the slide is most likely not making the full travel to the rear to be knocked out by the ejector. Try some different ammo just as a test.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 12:43:56 AM »
If the extractor is holding the case as pictured and it took a little effort to slide it under and it held while you were trying to shake it loose it sounds like you either have an ammo problem, a recoil spring problem or your thumb is rubbing the slide. Once you slide the case in and get it fully under the extractor does it take any effort to push it out? You should be able to feel some tension but it won't be a whole lot, if so I would look at something else causing the problem. If you have tension on the case from the extractor and the cases are left facing forward the slide is most likely not making the full travel to the rear to be knocked out by the ejector. Try some different ammo just as a test.

It does take some effort to push it out. I can't push it out with one thumb only. I wonder if it's the recoil buffer disturbing the slide movement? It's only been 1-2k rounds though. I think I may just swap out this recoil spring early. It's a cheap replacement.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »
If it seems like you just get a failure just now and then I would probably look at the ammo. Don't know what you are using but if it's remanned stuff or WW white box that could be the culprit with the factory spring. A chrono would tell that tale if you saw a low velocity accompanied by a FTE. If the case is actually re-chambering its self this is a most likely cause.

Offline eastman

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »

It does take some effort to push it out. I can't push it out with one thumb only. I wonder if it's the recoil buffer disturbing the slide movement? It's only been 1-2k rounds though. I think I may just swap out this recoil spring early. It's a cheap replacement.

How many rounds on the buffer? They are often the weakest link in the function chain.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »
Yea, maybe this is a bad batch? Not sure. I've shot over 1k rounds of this ammo without an issue. Hopefully this will all be resolved by me reloading :D

I think I have maybe 2k rounds on this buffer, I don't have an exact count. The buffer itself looks to be in good condition.

Offline Diamondbackmike2004

• Shooters assume the firing position
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »
top to bottom my friend
I might know what im talking about....but today, I don't.....