Author Topic: Canik S120 guide rod mod  (Read 226 times)

Offline John A.

Canik S120 guide rod mod
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:47:03 PM »
Kind of a catchy title for a topic. 

The original short canik guide rod bugged me to death.  While yes, it worked, I never particularly cared for the "half" rod because I was always concerned that the spring would kink or bind when I needed it the most and didn't exactly instill confidence.

So, another forum member was kind enough to drill my S120 slide to accept the full size guide rod.  Even put a SP01 Shadow guide rod in it.

Again, yes, the plastic guide rod did work and was an improvement, but then came the dilemma that the Shadow costing as much as it does, the polymer guide rod seemed flimsy at best.

The Canik S120 is a steel frame and slide.  So, the plastic guide rod seemed out of place too where strength was concerned.

So, I looked around in my shop to see what kind of metal I had laying around that I could lathe and turn down and make a metal guide rod.

Found some 6061 Aluminum

Very corrosion resistant.  Would probably work alright, but not super strong though.  Yield strength is around 40,000 psi.  Probably more than adequate and a lot stronger than the shadow guide rod that is in it, but I wanted to use something else.

Had some 1018 cold rolled rod.

Getting warmer.  It is a lot stronger than aluminum, but isn't exactly the best choice where corrosion is concerned.  Could cold blue it, but then be stuck with having to oil it all the time to keep it from rusting.

Ah-Ha.

Found a piece of C655.  While many people won't exactly know what that is off the top of their head because it's not very commonly used in guns, C655 is Bronze.

A good grade of bronze.

It's generally as strong as steel (yield strength is 55,000 psi) and is commonly used in maritime work, and lasts about forever.  You can even see bronze stuff dug up at archeological sites and shipwrecks from more than 3000 years ago so I should get my $1.37 worth out of it  ;D.

I'll be honest, now that the poop is getting deep in here, I mainly chose it because I think the darker bronze color looks pretty good contrasted against the black slide.  ;)

Give them an inch and eventually they'll become a ruler.

Offline rhart

Re: Canik S120 guide rod mod
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »
Pretty nifty!

Offline 75Plus

• +8
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »
A good source for material for one-off projects like this in the local hardware store. A 5/16 X 4 stainless steel bolt can be turned into a very nice guide rod.
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.”
George Washington

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
Very Interesting!   8)  Back to the "Bronze Age".  ;)

Door Hinge Bolts have been easily converted into Full Length Recoil Spring Guide Rods.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"