Author Topic: TS pistols, how many here own one and how do you like it?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
TS pistols, how many here own one and how do you like it?
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
Just curious.  Looking at one, not sure if it's worth it.  I hate to sink a lot of money into a gun and then not shoot it much, so what are the opinions here about these pistols?

A .40 might be a perfect pistol to convert to .357 SIG?  Especially with that longer barrel for velocity/powder burn and the slide/frame for soaking up recoil??

The more I think about it, the more the "itch" needs "scratching".
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline BLUEPSTU

Re: TS pistols, how many here own one and how do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
I have the TS Orange. It is an unbelievable pistol and I will never be as good as it is. I have a buddy who just bought a $3,900.00 Wilson Combat and he said it is not as nice as my TSO. He wishes that i would have bought my gun before he bought his. He is constantly drooling over mine and said it is his next purchase.

Offline newsigowner

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »
"Is it worth it" is a very very subjective question.

However, I'll say this:  I got a TSO several months ago.  It is the finest, most accurate, and most comfortable pistol I've ever shot (and possibly best  looking), even those costing 2-3x more.   Especially for the price.  Better than my SP-01 SAO custom from CZC.   Forget Wilson.  Forget Dan Wesson.  Maybe STI.  I am not exaggerating.

It is quite an incredible pistol, and I can't imagine anyone not being completely happy with it at any skill or experience level.

Offline frgood

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:40 PM »
I think my TS .40 makes an excellent USPSA Limited division pistol. I was so glad I bought two. It works very well for its design.
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »
I've got the standard TS and a TSO. 

I did a bunch of upgrades to my standard TS, removed the checkering and hard chromed the frame.

TSO has been untouched.  It has everything I wanted on my TS and more.  The frame upgrade with real checkering and better grip is totally worth it.  Not to mention the slide to frame fit is impressively tight.

Go for it.  Get it in 40.  You can put a 9mm barrel on the 40 breechface but not the other way around.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
Well, it's been paid for.  It's used.  TS .40 S&W.  Got quite a few aftermarket parts on it (was someone's competition gun) and has been well used.

Getting the slide, frame and 7 magazines (some with those aluminum extensions on the bottom).  I've ordered a .40 S&W barrel.  Hopefully they'll get here around the same time. 

When I get it up and running in .40 S&W I'll have to order the 9MM barrel and get it rechambered to .357 SIG.  Then the .40 barrel gets retired unless I'd need it, badly.

Then I'll have CZ's in 9MM, .357 SIG and .40 S&W.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »
Should be at my FFL's shop on Thursday.  Hopefully in time to pick it up the same day.  I haven't asked yet but he may be going to the gun show down near Virginia Beach this weekend.  If so he'll be packing up and getting ready to go on Friday and won't be doing any transfers.

We'll see.  CZ USA says the barrel/original style hammer should be here Tuesday.

Looks like first week of June is the earliest I could get it to the range (who am I kidding....I'm retired.)  It'll get to the range as soon as I can get the barrel fitted and the funky concealed hammer replaced.  Since it's SA only I figured it would be nice to have enough of a spur/ring to thumb cock if I needed to.

This is a picture of what I bought.  Just need the barrel.

Offline Kisssofdeath

• Live today as if it was your last day.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 01:33:14 AM »
I really like mine.

Thanks,
Tim

If you know how many guns you have ...you don't have enough.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
Well, just like a little kid, I had to start taking it apart after I got home from picking it up.

I just made out and order to Cajun Gun Works for some small parts (and a hat, my youngest son likes to wear hats).

I was removing the left side custom safety when I lifted my thumb up off the sear cage something went flying.  I know I saw a small piece drop over the arm of the chair (yeah, sitting in the recliner in the living room) and then I saw another small piece on the computer.  I couldn't figure out where a spring that short would have come from.  I've had my CZ 85 and all of the CZ 75 Compacts apart and never saw one that small/short.  Then I got to looking for what dropped onto the rug and round another one just like it.  Yeah, the right side safety detent spring had broken in half at some point and when the sear cage was not longer held in place from the left side safety shaft the two small pieces launched.

So, I ordered 4 of them.  If one broke, so might another, so I might as well have some spares.  Then I decided to go ahead and order a couple sear springs and couple of 14 lb. recoil springs (seems like those are the heavy ones.) 

First "urge" was to canabalize a Compact to get that spring but I don't have a barrel yet so I won't be shooting it anyways.  And, I might have a spare spring in the parts containers in the garage.  I need to go look in a few minutes, just in case.  I probably don't have a spare though.  What is 1SOW says, "Get the spare parts so nothing will break."  I'm probably not that lucky though.  I mean, since it broke.  But hey, it didn't break on me, it was broke before I got it, so maybe that rule won't apply, this time.

I'm glad I measure the trigger pull before I pulled it apart.  I put the slide on and held the slide in place on the frame so the hammer would hit the firing pin and slide vs. the back of the frame.  I checked it 4 times.  Every one just a hair under 1&3/4 lbs.  There is this tiny bit of creep just before the hammer stops.  I noticed that if you pull the trigger through the creep and let up, there is no creep the second time you pull the trigger.  You have to bump the hammer back with the slide to get things back to where you can feel that little bit of creep.

The Lyman Lead Bullet book shows that I have four powders to work up loads with.  Bullseye (their most accurate loads with the 180 grain lead bullets they used), Unique, Blue Dot and I can't remember the fourth powder right now.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
Well, found some springs in the garage/spare parts containers.  Several springs were close.  Closest in wire thickness and length (if you think the old/broken spring might be a little shorter than it was when brand new) was a magazine release spring for a P07.

I could get it in place but it would pop out, just like the broken spring did.  Had to get it in place, hold it with a small flatblade screwdriver and then put the sear cage in to hold the safety detent spring in (right side).  Okay, got it.  Then the new (original style) safety would not go in all the way.  Fought it till I got tired.  It was so close, but not quite.  Wasn't the sear spring leg in the sear cage, wasn't the left side safety detent, figured it was just an alignment issue - started cussing that style of safety (it's not like my CZ 85). 

Finally took the new left side safety out, pulled the sear cage out and the old safety would go right in.  Darn, why can't I get the new safety in?????

Took the right side safety out and the new safety would not insert into it.  That was it.  The end of the shaft on the new safety was too darn big.  I got the knife sharpening stones out and started working on the flat side of the safety shaft.  Took a few strokes, finally got it to pop in (nice and tight, but it went all the way in).

Put the right side safety back in, got that darn little spring in place, put the sear cage in and got the left side safety in just like normal (push the left side safety detent to the rear, push the safety in all the way and then pop the sear spring into the groove in the safety shaft.)  Everything works.

Good news is I didn't have to do any stoning on the safety shaft "hump" that has to turn under the front arm on the sear.  It fit PERFECT!!!  I tried it several times.  Snaps into the SAFE position and no amount of pulling the trigger will get the hammer to fall.  And the hammer didn't fall when the safety was moved to the FIRE position (I've seen that happen on old tired 1911's).

Got hammer spring, spring cup, mag brake, grips (grip screws are stripped out - head, not the threads - and naturally I've already ordered my other parts from CGW - that's how it works, right) and mag well back on it.

Just waiting on that barrel now.

And some adhesive stripper to get that gooey stuff off the extended floorplates on those competition magazines.  What was it they called that sticky stuff they put on the receiver's hands in that movie The Replacements?  Elephant snot...I think he called it.  Must be something they use to help keep a grip on the magazines.

Anyway, I'm feeling much better now than I was right after that broken spring went airborne on me.

The adventures of do-it-yourself gunsmithing.

Offline jmx66

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
Was laughing at your flying parts story.  ;D
I'm still looking for a 1911 spring plug that I launched across the shop the other day.

Enjoy your TS, it's one of my favorites!

Offline coolbox

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
@M1A4ME
Are you sure you didn't lose the sear cage support springs? They are positioned at the rear of the sear cage, and stabilize the sear cage.
They are two small springs, as small as they get for a pistol!

I say this, as only the left safety detent has spring, and the right safety detent is held mechanically in a slot.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:52:29 AM by coolbox »
Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
I don't know.  Never saw a CZ set up like that but then again, never had a TS before.   If the TS has short little springs under the sear cage (front? or back?) then I didn't see any when I got the sear cage out.

Didn't see them on the CZ USA or CZ Custom website either - but then again, I was looking for the springs that do go in behind the safety detents, not something smaller.

Oh well.  What is the downside of not having them in the gun?

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
They are behind the sear cage, on both sides of the hammer.  The allow the sear cage to float and properly engage with the hammer.  I think there's a response from Eerw on this forum somewhere that's more technical.  Things won't fit right if you don't have those springs back there.

See this video right around 19 minutes in.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »
Thanks for that video.

I didn't see any springs on the back of the sear cage. 

He didn't seem to be afraid of them falling out though, the way he was handling the sear cage to reinstall it.  I wonder if they are "seated" into the holes in the sear cage and have to be pushed in/pulled out?

I've got a new/stock style hammer coming in with the new barrel, so I'll have to disassemble it again in a couple days.  I'll look at the back of the sear cage then.

anything