Author Topic: TS pistols, how many here own one and how do you like it?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: TS pistols, how many here own one and how do you like it?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »
I finally got a holster for the TS .40.  I won't be carrying it concealed or for competition but I wanted a holster so I could carry it around my small piece of property (every gun needs a little sunshine now and then.)

A year or so back I bought a drop leg holster for the CZ 85 and liked it.  So I ordered another one.  These are adjustable through the use of Velcro straps and flaps to make them "fit" the gun better.

I got the holster yesterday and set it up for the pistol.  Then I strapped it on my leg (after adjusting the leg straps as well as I could.  I'll have to remove one, attach it to the other and cut the long tail off it, just like I did the first one (big thighs) to keep it from pulling my pants down as the elastic portion of the strap tries to work the pistol down my leg (gravity, pistol weight and the straps).

Anyway, I knew the pistol was a handful but when I put it in the holster and pick up the weight of the rig and the pistol it feels like a rifle.  I pulled the pistol out of the holster and set it on my new scale and with a loaded magazine it shows 3 lbs. & 7.13 oz.  Basically a 3.5 lb. pistol.  Holy cow!!

However, once I got it strapped on my leg and got out walking around the yard with the dogs I didn't really notice it anymore than the CZ 85, so maybe it won't be as bad as I first thought.

Just a comment about "big thighs".  When we got married I was 20 years old, was 6' 3" tall and weighed 217 lbs.  My thighs were bigger around than my wife's waist (we used to laugh about that.)  Her waist was 21" and my thighs were almost 23" around.  The darn straps on those holsters just won't cut it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
I couldn't find a holster for the beast (other than a generic leg holster like yours) so I bought some kydex and had at it. Picture to come...

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:23:37 AM by Grizzlie »
'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 04:34:14 PM »
Today, temperature wise, was the best day of the week.  Only supposed to be about 86 with a "feels like" temperature of 98, due to the humidity.

So, YARD WORK!!  I put on the shorts/t-shirt/boots and strapped that big pistol on my hip and went out the door.  Got slightly side tracked, since my bench was still in the shade, and decided to remove that tore up mag well thing to "fix" it.  Got out the dremel, the allen wrenches and after I got the mag well guide thing off I took a sanding drum to it and got rig of all those nasty gouges.  Then I painted it was some satin black paint and let it sit in the sun for 3 hours while I trimmed, mowed and changed the oil in the mower.

Whoops, got ahead of myself.  By the time I'd walked to the garage, got the tools, got the mag guide off (put the pistol back in the holster) and then walked the dogs around the yard some, the bottom of the holster was jabbing me in the calf right below my knee.

Can't trim like that.  Maybe, this winter, when I'm wearing the heavy pants with suspenders, I might be able to carry that hog leg around without it trying to help me do a strip and trip in the yard.

I put it back in the house, grabbed a different holster and put the P07 on my hip and got all the yard work done.  That heat/humidity just kicks my butt.  I'm on my third big glass of ice water, ate lunch and got a cup of tea for something sweet (flavored coffee creamer in the tea).

Oh, the mag well looks good.  No idea how the paint will hold up, but then again, I'm not going to beat if up doing mag changes either.

Grizzlie, how did you "form" the kydex to the contours of the TS?  That holster looks good.  Big, but good.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Grizzlie

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Bought some "kydex moulding foam" (which I think is just a little bit better quality than something like a camping mattress/foam. I heated the kydex in the oven for a few minutes (until it started ever so slightly to shrink or the edges to curl up). Placed it on the preheated foam with the preheated TS. And then mashed it as best as I could.

One taken out I took a heat gun and did some detail work. Things I've noticed/work for me
1. Preheat the foam and the gun
2. install rivets before any custom fitting
3. Cut general shape of holster
4. Bend the sides/wings before custom fitting
5. Selectively heat certain areas:
5a. To get tigher fit, heat with gun in holster and mould the kydex using something rounds...small spoon or similar
5b. to get looser fit, heat with gun in holster and then take out the gun and insert it back in

This is a big gun, hence the big holster :D
But for my first ever kydex holster, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I actually can't wait to try to make more or improve on this one.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:59:16 PM by Grizzlie »
'...if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence'

anything