Author Topic: Got a hankerin' for a Shadow 2 BAD! :)  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Jigo23

Got a hankerin' for a Shadow 2 BAD! :)
« on: May 22, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
Ok so within the last 6 months I went from no CZ's to first a P-07...LOVE it....added P-09....REALLY LOVE it....about to go shoot my CZ 75D Compact...feels great and sure I'll love it. Have a SP01 Phantom on the way, but from the first time I saw it I fell in lust with the Shadow 2. Just sold a Wilson Combat 1911 and was going to get another custom 1911 but the Shadow 2 keeps popping up in my head. So question please.  Preferences between the CZC worked Shadow 2 or the CGW worked Shadow 2?  Both about the same price. Found a CZC Shadow 2 in stock, not sure about the CGW Shadow 2 though haven't called them yet. One caveat for me tho...I'm not really interested in a sub 3.5lb trigger in SA (3.5-4.5 is my sweet spot) but about a 6-8lb DA would be awesome! 
I hopefully will get back to shooting IDPA soon after a series of back surgeries derailed me for the last 3 years. I don't use strictly "competition" guns, I prefer to shoot IDPA with guns that I typically use and carry and I don't use or carry anything with a trigger under 3lbs.
I could just get the factory Shadow 2 and have it worked over to decrease DA pre-travel, but knowing me I'd eventually want other stuff done too so figure might as well get a gun worked by CGW or CZC from the get go. Decisions, decisions...recommendations pretty please with sugar on top? :)  Thanks y'all!

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Got a hankerin' for a Shadow 2 BAD! :)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:25:14 PM »
You can ask for a 3.5 lb SA trigger if you go the CGW or CZC route. Otherwise, I  prefer working on my own guns because I don't like waiting :P Though if it were me, I'd pick CGW for the 10X bushing install.

Offline TexanFX2

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
Either will be great, however, I am a ****** for CGW (Read my signature). Also, I am not sure the 10x bushing is IDPA legal.
Cajunized SP-01 | Cajunized Shadow 2 + CZ Kadet

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
You can ask for a 3.5 lb SA trigger if you go the CGW or CZC route. Otherwise, I  prefer working on my own guns because I don't like waiting :P Though if it were me, I'd pick CGW for the 10X bushing install.
Ok roger that thanks.  Well I found s stocking dealer that has a CZC Tuned Shadow 2 supposedly in stock. I hate waiting too :). I will look into the bushing install thanks for the tip!

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
Ok roger that thanks.  Well I found s stocking dealer that has a CZC Tuned Shadow 2 supposedly in stock. I hate waiting too :). I will look into the bushing install thanks for the tip!

Check into IDPA rules to see if the bushing is legal. I forget IDPA exists sometimes :P

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
Either will be great, however, I am a ****** for CGW (Read my signature). Also, I am not sure the 10x bushing is IDPA legal.
Hmmmm, yeah I had thought about needing to check what mods are legal or not. Will check with the IDPA Gods thanks!

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 04:44:01 PM »

Check into IDPA rules to see if the bushing is legal. I forget IDPA exists sometimes :P
Well to be honest it's not a showstopper either way, I have other guns I could use, I'm not a hardcore competitor anyway, I shoot well but really only out there competing against myself. It's great training

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »
So question please.  Preferences between the CZC worked Shadow 2 or the CGW worked Shadow 2?

IMO, without a doubt CGW.  They're helpful, answer the phone and return calls.

I'm not really interested in a sub 3.5lb trigger in SA (3.5-4.5 is my sweet spot) but about a 6-8lb DA would be awesome! 

A factory gun should have an SA pull in your range with no mods needed.  The amount of pre-travel and reset are where the Shadow 2's can be sloppy.  I would call CGW.  I'm not sure how they could reduce DA pull by that much w/o reducing your SA pull weight.  I've got my SA down to 2.25 lbs, but DA is still over 8lbs.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
Just don't replace the hammer and replace the main spring + disco and you should reduce DA without dropping SA that much. That said.. you might end up with some creep.

I don't think the S2 is the right choice for a 4-4.5lb SA. You could probably get 3.5 if you replace sear spring.

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 09:46:23 PM »
Just don't replace the hammer and replace the main spring + disco and you should reduce DA without dropping SA that much. That said.. you might end up with some creep.

I don't think the S2 is the right choice for a 4-4.5lb SA. You could probably get 3.5 if you replace sear spring.
3.5 would be fine, thanks

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
So question please.  Preferences between the CZC worked Shadow 2 or the CGW worked Shadow 2?

IMO, without a doubt CGW.  They're helpful, answer the phone and return calls.

I'm not really interested in a sub 3.5lb trigger in SA (3.5-4.5 is my sweet spot) but about a 6-8lb DA would be awesome! 

A factory gun should have an SA pull in your range with no mods needed.  The amount of pre-travel and reset are where the Shadow 2's can be sloppy.  I would call CGW.  I'm not sure how they could reduce DA pull by that much w/o reducing your SA pull weight.  I've got my SA down to 2.25 lbs, but DA is still over 8lbs.
Right, I think the stock Shadow 2's SA trigger would be fine per their specs. If I could just get the DA down some. Yeah can't do sloppy reset. Think I will give CGW a call tomorrow. Do you carry yours with the 2.25 lb SA?

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
After thinking it over I believe I'll stick with what's worked out well for me in the past both professionally and recreationally...just start with base gun and shoot it first for 300-400 rds or so then see exactly what I want changed if anything. Big believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and no "solutions in search of a problem".  The guys at CGW seem to have a great rep with CZ's and I bet can translate my needs and wants and give me a gun that will be just right for me. Thanks guys!

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
I'm sure the guys at CGW could offer some better insight over the phone.  My only other suggestion would be to handle one yourself at a LGS.  That way you can feel the exact gun you'd get if you bought a stock model.  Mine is strictly a competition gun, the trigger is too light to carry.

Offline Thechef1

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »
If 3.5-4.5 is your sweet spot just buy a stock shadow 2. Shoot it for awhile and see if you want to change anything. You probably won't if thats actually where you want you weight. After Changing a few parts and spring my SA is sitting just around 2 lbs and DA is 4.5. save the money and buy a stock gun first.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:56:01 AM »
Unless the S2 is different than the other 75s,  it's tough to get 5-6# DA and have a SA pull above 3#.  2.5 is easy.
Either CZC or CGW may be able to get you close to your preferences.
That 5# DA is addictive.  Once you have it,  you don't want to give it up. ;D 8)

anything