Author Topic: Interesting Range Day  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Lbj1891

Interesting Range Day
« on: May 24, 2017, 03:55:14 AM »
So, im fairly inexperienced with shooting handguns (6 months). But, Ive been steadily improving my marksmanship  with them. Currently, i have a 92fs and cz75b in my collection. Its been a while since i shot the beretta and today i remembered why. I can't hit the side of barn with this  thing. Out beyond 5 yards things become difficult with the beretta. With the 75b, im combat accurate out to 25 yards. Also, after adopting a high hold (due to the 75b) the ergonomics of the beretta are problematic. My strong thumb rides the slide stop which disengages it on the last shot.

Question: Would you sale the beretta or continue to work at it. I own my firearms as a means of protection. At home and at my businesses. Im not confident in my ability to accurately  shoot it at this point.

I know this is a question only I can answer. But, im curious about your input! :o
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:59:17 AM by Lbj1891 »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Interesting Range Day
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:59:10 AM »
The beretta is a good gun to be sure but if you can't shoot it well the thing to focus on is what you can shoot well. I'd sell the Beretta and look into a CZ75B Compact or PCR to go with the current 75B. Same great CZ ergonomics yet accurate and easy to carry if you so desire.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
I agree with the above post

I have several guns, most of which I can shoot reasonably well, some better than others.  That said, I have had guns that I didn't bond with & shot poorly (G23 comes to mind).  Those guns get sold or traded for something I do shoot well & like.

While I always qualified expert w/ my M9 when in the service, I never liked the Beretta, nor did qualifying come naturally with it.  As such, I'd never own one, unless it was given to me.  But that's me & my preference. Other I know love the Berretta & that's fine.

So if you want another gun, do get one that fits you (ergonomically) & your needs.  Use the berretta as barter or sell it to fund your new one- no shame in that

Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline 2bfree

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »
Different strokes for different folks My 92 is the one I shoot the best, might be a toss up with my 1911, but my CZ75 D PCR would not be in the running.

Offline Snakester

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
I think it's best to shoot what you are comfortable with and a pistol that you have confidence in. the better you are shooting a particular pistol or revolver the more you are going to want to shoot it. I love 1911's and shoot them the best. Having my own range , My wife and I shoot a lot. I never get tired shooting them. I have bought a few pistols that I never liked or shot well and have sold a few of them when the time was right.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53:16 PM »
I had a gun like that once, a Astra A-90 of all things, and I simply could not hit ANYTHING with that pistol. Others fired it and had no problem, but it just did not like me at all. I sold it. If the CZ75 frame fits you well and you like it, I might suggest a PCR or Compact for a companion sidearm, just my personal suggestion.

Offline Kisssofdeath

• Live today as if it was your last day.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
lbj1891,

I believe your mind is already made up, you are just looking for reassurance.  I would also sell the Beretta, and in my case purchase a CZ 97B.
Thanks,
Tim

If you know how many guns you have ...you don't have enough.

Offline 808

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 02:35:22 AM »
... I own my firearms as a means of protection. At home and at my businesses. Im not confident in my ability to accurately  shoot it at this point.

I know this is a question only I can answer. But, im curious about your input! :o

I think your mind is made up. For the reasons you own a handgun I would suggest selling it and getting something else down the road. The suggestion of a smaller CZ is a good one because of familiarity.

I own a couple different handguns and fortunately enjoy shooting them all. As well as home defense I like being familiar with handling and working with different guns. At least I am confident in the gun even though I may not be as proficient with some of them but at least I can hit the broadside of a barn with them (from the inside). If I didn't enjoy or trust it it would be gone. I don't have the money for safe queens.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
Which one do you shoot better?

Which one do you have more confidence in?

Which one is easier to get parts for if you decide to keep some spare parts around?

I have 5 or 6 different brands and calibers of semi-auto pistols.  About 4 or 5 years ago I bought my first CZ.  Since then I've bought nothing but CZs.  After shooting mine both my sons have bought CZ's.  One son owns a Beretta 90-Two.  He hasn't taken it to the range in years.  When we go shooting he takes his CZ pistols.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »
I have a 92 and shoot it pretty well. the guns  been around for a while and most can handle it well enough for defense, after all this is a full       sized weapon. 
what to do is of course up to you.
 I would not place myself in the position of only having one pistol at my disposal however.
 while the CZ has a very good reputation for reliability things do happen and you do not want to be with no weapon at all.
I lean to saying  the best thing in MY OPINION, is to sale the Beretta and get into a compact, PCR, or P-01 CZ as the operation will be almost identical to the cz that you have now and operate  well.

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
Guns are a lot like guitars: when you're just learning, you don't have enough knowledge and experience to evaluate what works best for you. As you learn and progress, you'll work that out. Sometimes - often, even - you'll head down false paths, and may chase the equipment fairy all over before you find your personal ideal.

As with guitars, you can shorten that process with good instruction. As long as you have a serviceable weapon to work with, an experienced instructor can give you a foundation in fundamentals that will serve you well no matter what gun you have in your hand. They can also, through experience, help guide you to a firearm that would be a good match. Often, they have enough of a collection that you'll have the opportunity to try a variety of platforms before dropping your own coin on one. Instruction can also prevent you from developing bad habits that are much harder to get rid of after they've become fully ingrained.

Working with a friend that is an accomplished shooter can be helpful, but I highly recommend the services of a good instructor. Being able to perform a skill is one thing, being able to foster those abilities in someone else is a whole different skill set.

Offline Tanners Owner

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
good analogy above- I'll have to remember it
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline Lbj1891

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
As someone who enjoys playing the guitar, the above comment   strikes a chord with me as well. Haha...

Anywho... I ended up swapping the beretta for a new S&W Shield in 9mm and a good holster. Ill give an update in 10 days after i spring it from jail.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »
Agreeing with some of Joe Allen, don't sell the Beretta yet!  Since your are a new pistolero, have someone in the know critique your stance, hold, trigger discipline,  etc.  It may be pure luck that your CZ is tolerant to bad form.  Perhaps proper grip, etc. will improve the Beretta to nearly 75% of your CZ, which would be awesome.  Maybe then you'd consider it a keeper! ;D. Besides, you won't lose resale value for the Beretta over a few months/years left in the safe.

Yikes!  I hope it wasn't an even swap!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:16:06 PM by Tyerone »

Offline vwpieces

• Bang, Bang, Bang
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
I have several CZ 75 series because I shoot them well and my P01 is my favorite. 1911 is another platform I like and shoot pretty well.
I have the same problem with Glock as I never seem to do as well with them in hand. But I have been with LEO buddy and was handed his 23 on occasion to see if it was him, ammo or gun giving issues for him... "guns fine".  I still shoot his 23 better than him but not as good as a CZ in my hands.

Being friendly at the range I have been able to try many other brands, sizes, calibers... But the CZ still has not been beat for ME.
My first 75B was bought new. Browsing the shop and may have been annoying to the clerk by this point. Asked to see many guns that day. Pulled the 75B for me and as I held it in hand and raised it up 3 times I saw 3 Dots on the sight every time. I just said "I want that gun" and got a funny look. Really, I want it. Price was competitive and I got 5% off store wide that day. Went home with my first CZ. No regrets at all and none ever since with any of them. I can not say the same for any others I have owned.
Sorry, had to remove the list of firearms due to server overload. I hope you now have a more pleasant experience on this forum.

"Hey, do you want to try my Glock?"
No thank you. Want to try my CZ P-01?
"Hell Yeah, DoooD, thats sweet"

anything