Author Topic: Rami BD felt recoil concern  (Read 2894 times)

Offline YNWA

Rami BD felt recoil concern
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »
My wife's Rami BD arrived yesterday and we both put some rounds through it today. Both of us felt a really heavy recoil which surprised us. Most of what I heard about this is it almost recoils like a full size. That was not our situation at all. So I'm curious to hear from you guys about it. Does it just need to break in with a few hundred rounds? Could it have been the ammo we used (Aguila 115gr just because it was on sale and our normal Freedom Munitions ammo won't be here until tomorrow)? Is there a mod that will help that we should consider? I'd rather not have to go that route, since we expected such a mild recoil right out of the box on this one. Anyway, all suggestions and thoughts are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Offline Ruber

Rami BD felt recoil concern
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase!

In my experience, the 115gr Aguila can be a bit snappier than most.

However, a small, lightweight pistol will always have more recoil than a heavier one with a given ammo. 

Things you can do to mitigate it-
Number one in my book would be to work on your grip.  The RAMI is roughly based on the 40B and the nicely contoured backstrap helps with getting a firmer, higher grip without bashing the knuckle of your thumb.  Even though the RAMI in .40 recoils harder than my 75B, the backstrap/tang make it more comfortable to shoot for extended periods with a good grip.

Use the extended mag.

Find the right ammo for your gun.  Heavy, slow bullets will be less snappy and give more of a push.  They also may not feed as well, so you'll need to experiment with your gun and see which ammo weight/brand works the best.

Some brands of ammo are simply weaker than others.  If I can find it, I'll post a link to a site with relative velocity/energy of different brands.  One I remember as being particularly soft bus still feeding well was cci blazer brass.

Hope this helps, I'm sire others will come along soon and offer up advice.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:30:30 PM by Ruber »

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: Rami BD felt recoil concern
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »
Welcome.
   Felt recoil is subjective. I don't feel much recoil in my Rami, nor any of my other CZ's. Of course, I've also got a couple .44's I love to shoot.
    Try some 124gr. ammo is about the only thing besides working on grip, that I can think of.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline CZATC

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »
My wife's Rami BD arrived yesterday and we both put some rounds through it today. Both of us felt a really heavy recoil which surprised us. Most of what I heard about this is it almost recoils like a full size. That was not our situation at all. So I'm curious to hear from you guys about it. Does it just need to break in with a few hundred rounds? Could it have been the ammo we used (Aguila 115gr just because it was on sale and our normal Freedom Munitions ammo won't be here until tomorrow)? Is there a mod that will help that we should consider? I'd rather not have to go that route, since we expected such a mild recoil right out of the box on this one. Anyway, all suggestions and thoughts are welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Welcome! It is indeed a calculable but subjective aspect of shooting. So all recommendations are 'YMMV'. Definitely try the extended mag. Make sure positive grip with digits 3 & 4 is there if she is only able to get 2 finger on normal grip.

Could be ammo as well. I have no experience with aguila though. I find Winchester 124 NATO (duh) and fiocchi 115 and the 124 truncated cone load are also both a little warm. Blazer and S&B 124 feel, to me, less as does American eagle.

Also, this might be premature but specific to carry ammo I would recommend trying some of the 150gr Federal HST 'micro' when you get to that point. I have not shot it extensively but I do the 124 and 147 and I do think/feel, subjectively, the 150's are very mild. I know water 'tests' are kinda eh but it was fun and a buddy mine had a chrony so here is some numbers if interested. Shot from an m&p 9 compact, sp01, and a just right carbine for giggles.

Also, i recall first shot with sp01 I had forgotten to put my ear plugs in after switching firearms and was pleasantly surprised when it was a loud pop instead of a sharp tinny sound. Biggest downside is the cost because you can order 50rd boxes of all the other HST weights but are relegated to 20 rounders for the 150s.

Hope you find what works for you/her!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

CZ 75 SP01-bone stock....CGW bushing and 85 trigger in parts box waiting
TriStar C100 Tungsten Cerakote-CGW kit upon reintroduction :)

Offline benq

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:42:48 PM »

Compared to other sub-compact pistols, the RAMI's recoil is manageable. There is something fun about shooting short barrel and long barrel pistols.  Shooting the RAMI is definitely fun for me.

Most of what I heard about this is it almost recoils like a full size.

I've read something similar to this before I bought mine and knew it was a fallacy.  Use the extended magazine, accept the fact that it will not recoil similar to a full size CZ and have fun.  After shooting my RAMI for a few sessions, a compact or full recoil feels very soft. Although someone can develop a bad flinch if they aren't paying attention.

Keep shooting it. The more quality trigger time you get with the pistol the more familiar you will be and maybe find an appreciation for its uniqueness. The good news is if you and the wife don't love it, there are many CZ fanatics more than willing to take it off your hands.

I'll let others offer their opinion on ammo.

Offline C. Andrew Dunning

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »
As multiple replies have recommended the extended magazine for helping with grip, another thing you might find helpful are the magazine extensions available on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-2075-Rami-Grip-Extension-Fits-both-9mm-and-40-S-W-/252918381704?hash=item3ae31c3c88:g:M9sAAOSwqrtWpYzX.

- CAD

Offline SteveR2013

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 12:10:01 AM »
As multiple replies have recommended the extended magazine for helping with grip, another thing you might find helpful are the magazine extensions available on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-2075-Rami-Grip-Extension-Fits-both-9mm-and-40-S-W-/252918381704?hash=item3ae31c3c88:g:M9sAAOSwqrtWpYzX.

- CAD
You can also fabricate your own extensions. Here is an howto:-

Offline TimJupiterFla

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
I noticed the same thing. It's similar to my Ruger LC9 s Pro. I assumed the added weight would tame some of the recoil a bit from the short barrel.  I also noticed the 147 gr Hornady was much softer with less flash, but did have a problem with the round loading into the chamber and getting stuck on the feed ramp, but that's another subject for another post.
I just added the extension for the ten rounder. Plan on buying some more defense rounds in various grains and by different Manufactures to see what it really likes. I think the answer is more rounds down range!
Don't argue with a fool. The spectators can't tell the difference. - Charles j. Nalin

Veteran's before Refugees - Grunt Style

Offline Vinny

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
I agree with all suggestions above. I like the Aguilla 115's but agree they ARE really hot and snappy.
Looking back through my shooting log, the PMC 115's shot the mildest for me in my RAMI BD.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Ozarkmac

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
Compared to the .40 RAMI, it is not nearly as snappy in my opinion. I actually wish I had gone with the 9mm.

Offline JoeSig

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
1st trip to the range with my wife - she and I both perceive more recoil from the RAMI vs. our Sig P290RS. The RAMI has approx. a 4 oz weight advantage over the 290 and the bore axis is lower on the CZ, so we were expecting perhaps a little less felt recoil.

We have a cumulative 2500 rounds through our 290's - thus this was kind of the base benchmark for assessing more or less recoil.

We were using both the 10 round and 14 round mags - Really did not notice any difference. Wife only has a two finger grip on the 290 short mag, but can manage a 3 finger grip on the 10 round RAMI. I thing the double stack nature of the RAMI is why.

Only firing the Rem green & white box 115 FMJ, thus no this vs. that ammo compare regarding recoil.

I sense if you practice / train enough, it becomes second nature.

We are new to CZ so have to work through getting acquainted with it.

JoeSig

Offline ldryder

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »
Since "felt recoil" is a totally-subjective term, take my experience FWIW.....

I felt a tiny bit more, and slightly different feeling recoil from the RAMI than my Glock 19.  However, it was a lot less snappy than what I feel when shooting my Glock 43.

American Eagle 124 gr, Winchester Ranger +p 124 gr, and Speer Gold Dot +P 124 gr were used.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
1st trip to the range with my wife - she and I both perceive more recoil from the RAMI vs. our Sig P290RS. The RAMI has approx. a 4 oz weight advantage over the 290 and the bore axis is lower on the CZ, so we were expecting perhaps a little less felt recoil.

We have a cumulative 2500 rounds through our 290's - thus this was kind of the base benchmark for assessing more or less recoil.

We were using both the 10 round and 14 round mags - Really did not notice any difference. Wife only has a two finger grip on the 290 short mag, but can manage a 3 finger grip on the 10 round RAMI. I thing the double stack nature of the RAMI is why.

Only firing the Rem green & white box 115 FMJ, thus no this vs. that ammo compare regarding recoil.

I sense if you practice / train enough, it becomes second nature.

We are new to CZ so have to work through getting acquainted with it.

JoeSig

Interesting, I have two Sig 290rs's and after some initial trigger reset issues that Sig fixed; I've really come to depend on them as primary warm weather carry in deep pocket cargo shorts with a Desantis Superfly. Surprisingly accurate for a 3" barrel with either 6 or 8 mag and I like the larger dot Siglite sights. Meanwhile I now have over 3000 rounds through my RAMI BD and I just love shooting it as it feels like an extension of my hand. But IMHO a bit thick and heavy for pocket carry, but I do like it's extra capacity for a small sub-compact sidearm. Honestly, I guess I'm just not recoil sensitive, as I don't feel much difference. They both feel relatively mild to me for short barrel 9's, but if you're anticipating recoil, you will feel it. I don't even think about it.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline JoeSig

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback  Vinny - we carry our 290's alot and I guess have just assimilated to their recoil.

Must be new pistolitis...

It is a great gun - been looking for it for over a year - rare in SE Michigan it seems

anything