Author Topic: Pistol vs Carbine which one to get  (Read 8555 times)

Offline 037Leo

Pistol vs Carbine which one to get
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:19:18 AM »
So having determined that i need an EVO, i am struggling as to which one to get

Primary purpose will be a range plinker/ home defense  with faint possibility of PCC

Given all of those, I am thinking the carbine since pistol would need a brace to be really shootable or sbr.  Its adds a cost of the $200 stamp and the brace  so $750 becomes $1100+   carbine is $900  i can use it for PCC , stock is already there and if want to SBR it later i can    Any factors aside from cost that i did not consider?   
Thoughts? 
(\__/)
( o,o)
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 452
CZ Scorpion EVO
CZ 75B cold war with Kadet

Offline yetisoldier

Re: Pistol vs Carbine which one to get
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »
Get the pistol and add either the SB Tactical brace or a new tailhook setup. It will cost about the same, but closer to how it's really meant to be.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline JRIP

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:42:08 AM »
If you want to shoot pcc without jumping through the sbr hoops, you have to get a carbine.
Otherwise the pistol with a brace is cool.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
Get the pistol and add either the SB Tactical brace or a new tailhook setup. It will cost about the same, but closer to how it's really meant to be.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline williamc

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
You don't need a $200 stamp to run a braced pistol, so the cost of a braced $750 pistol is approx. $875 (KAK) to $950 (SBT EVO) $1050 (Tailhook).

I was going to get a carbine and cut it down to be an SBR, but after shooting the braced pistol I realized that I wouldn't like the longer barrel nearly as much.  The Scorpion is a mean little bugger of a pseudo-SMG, and the carbine wasn't what I was looking for.  With all the brace options and developments that have come out since then I'm pretty happy with my decision.

The major thing for you is that my local USPSA, steel challenge and action rifle matches (indoor leagues) won't allow braced pistols to run as PCCs.  But I would check as I'm not sure if that's regional or national rules.  With the changes to the legality of shouldering, this may change too.  Liability for prosecution for (at the time) illegal shouldering was the most common reason for banning them I heard.

Pros for braced pistol:

1. Way lighter and handier
2. Looks awesomer (my opinion)

Pros for Carbine:

1. Legal for USPSA, steel challenge, etc.
2. Can run VFGs
3. The factory stock is better as a stock than any of the braces
4. Way better factory handguard (I wish they'd done the smooth-sided M-lok thing on the pistol. My HBI handguard is out for delivery today.)
5. Not subject to the whims of the ATF with respect to shouldering

If cost is a concern and you think you want a pistol, keep an eye out on the used market (classifieds here, AR15.com, etc.).  I bought my Scorpion from a friend who bought it, kitted it up, shot 150 rounds and sold it to me for a great deal.  I've likewise seen some incredible bargains on very lightly used or unfired guns on this forum's classifieds.

William

William
CZ Scorpion Evo3 S1 Pistol
http://www.instagram.com/wcpewpew/

Offline 037Leo

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
williamc - tx for your thoughtful reply - i think you convinced me :)
(\__/)
( o,o)
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 452
CZ Scorpion EVO

Offline williamc

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
 O0

Ha.  Thanks!  Before you plop some cash down see if you can handle both types.  I was lucky that I could dryfire/gunshop test a carbine and shoot a braced pistol before making a decision.

William

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
The major thing for you is that my local USPSA, steel challenge and action rifle matches (indoor leagues) won't allow braced pistols to run as PCCs.

USPSA doesn't allow braced pistols unless they have a tax stamp.

Appendix D8, 6.

Offline williamc

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 01:40:41 PM »
USPSA doesn't allow braced pistols unless they have a tax stamp.

Appendix D8, 6.

Thanks!  I looked up Steel Challenge PCC division rules, too:

Appendix X - PCC Division

"Must have stock attached and fired from shoulder position
**Note: Sig Brace and any variant thereof is not allowed?must be attached to the carbine and fired from the shoulder**"

This alone is probably going to drive me to SBR my Evo eventually.  Having too much fun right now to worry about it.

William
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:44:10 PM by williamc »

Offline Blunk

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »
I think there's a lot of factors that might change your decision. If you wanna file a form 1, I think your only option is doing the paper work because I believe the e file for the form 1 is still down from the ATF's website (to my knowledge anyway). So yeah, it's a $200 tax stamp, but you gotta wait a couple months, so time is money. Having to go through the ATF stuff I think I would have gotten the Carbine instead.

Offline kyron4

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »
I went the carbine route, it's 8" longer but has the correct stock. So unless 8" of length is going to make or brake the intended use, I'd go the carbine route. Fun to shot for every one, wife and kids love it.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 01:10:24 AM »
With the sbt's and tailhooks around there's not really any reason not to go pistol. They feel/shoulder as good as a bleep stock and if you're kitting up for uspca matches and all that shizz you can afford to get both if a carbine registered is required 8). otherwise if can only get one.... get the pistol... honestly don't see the appeal of a 16" 9mm .... putting a long ass barrel on guns designed to be sbr length just look like crap.... putting a longer hand guard on to cover the barrel doesn't change the crap factor..

example:

Ewwwwwww:

ahhhhhhh:

CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 02:03:29 AM »
Given the use in PCC.  Then the carbine makes more sense.  Every other time I would say pistol. 

Offline KeithB

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 03:02:07 AM »
I bought the pistol with plans on SBRing it from the get go.  I am still waiting for the stamp.  I have shot it as a pistol but am not really a fan in this form.  The weapon was meant to have a stock, so in my opinion get the pistol and send the SBR paperwork, get the carbine, or find another weapon. 

I know alot of people on here like their braces and stabalizers, but they are not for me.

Offline 037Leo

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
I think there's a lot of factors that might change your decision. If you wanna file a form 1, I think your only option is doing the paper work because I believe the e file for the form 1 is still down from the ATF's website (to my knowledge anyway). So yeah, it's a $200 tax stamp, but you gotta wait a couple months, so time is money. Having to go through the ATF stuff I think I would have gotten the Carbine instead.

according to my sources the wait time is more like a 10-12 months these days :'( :-\ - another reason to get a carbine i suppose
(\__/)
( o,o)
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 452
CZ Scorpion EVO

anything