Author Topic: CZ 75 BD COMPACT BUILD  (Read 26910 times)

Offline Iluvboost

Re: CZ 75 BD COMPACT BUILD
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
Any links to your other builds? You're doing good work.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »
That irritating edge on the factory beavertail is about to be gone.

The beavertail is almost done, I ran out of 600 grit sanding drums so I will finish it a little later, so it's time for a soak in Evapo-Rust to get rid of the rust and ready to go under the sand paper and file. I will check on it in about 4 hours to see if the ER has turned a rusty color with no more bubbles which usually means the process is done. The owner wants it rust blued which means the metal work is more important than the finish. I guess the draw file will get a workout on this one.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:47:53 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »
While waiting on the frame and slide I turned my attention to the barrel. The customer sent a dummy round so I throated the rifling lead so it won't choke on the longest of HP's or coated lead bullets. Then deburred and polished the feed ramp.

Remember the ruined barrel crown? I cut the barrel back just past the damaged area which had raised a burr up high enough on the outside of the barrel to damage the bushing and then put an 11 degree target crown on it.

When I test fitted the new GCW 10 X bushing it was going to be very tight on this barrel. I will chuck up the barrel and take 3 or 4 thousands off between the 2 blacks lines. This will give an incredible lock up but let the barrel run freely during the recoil cycle.

Think I will call it quits for the day and go catch the latest Ghost Adventures. We will see what kind of haints they can conjure up tonight. See you tomorrow to continue.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:50:09 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline Meechy7648

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 10:50:08 PM »
You are truly a wizard. 

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 01:04:48 AM »
The seagulls are truly smiling

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »
I just received an Israeli turn-in 75 Compact decocker in and plan on doing the full rebuild on it including a refinish during the next several weeks. I was just curious if anyone cared to follow along.

I have no experience doing what you are doing here, so the education is much appreciated!

Offline Meechy7648

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »
I wanted to do the same but missed out on the supply.  Post up pics.

I had actually just planned to get all the Cajun goodness inside, but leave the finish worn.
9 I I I I am looking 2 and and and the

SAY WHAT?
Umm... Looks like my phone decided to do is own thing. I had it in my pocket and I was last on this page.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
Progress on the frame. Got the pits out without thinning the frame excessively over the frame rail grooves and still keeping the sharp lines.

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »
Man I wish I could get one done like that.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
I will holler when I finish this one.

Offline Mick-S

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Looking good so far. I'm  looking forward to seeing the end result.

Offline Poetical1

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
Looking good so far. I'm  looking forward to seeing the end result.
+1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Continental Op

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing this with us.  I just picked up the same gun from AIM.  I'd love to reshape the beaver tail like you did.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
So, with 99% of the pitting removed now it's time to move on to the dings and gouges that are always present on these turn-in guns. I always find the area around the trigger guard most troublesome. Because these are cast frames the trigger guard and the surrounding area are full of casting flaws and rough metal that cannot be seen with the Polycoat on. If you are going to blue the gun all of these need to be massaged away or they will take away from the general appearance. Some of it cannot be removed without altering the shape of the frame so you have to figure out what you can live with and just spend a lot of time smoothing and blending these areas while at the same time keeping all of the sharp lines. The small nooks and crannies around the trigger guard will give you a bad case of sore fingers but these need to be addressed first so you can come back later and re-sharpen the lines. When rust bluing you should not go any finer than 320 to 400 grit while keeping all of the sanding marks in the same direction and trying to get a uniform metal finish all over the entire frame and slide. I have been doing the trigger guard and grip frame all morning. I will probably spend several hours in just this one area before moving to the dings on the grip frame.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:54:03 AM by SPO1SHADOW »