Author Topic: CZ 75 BD COMPACT BUILD  (Read 26904 times)

Offline Iluvboost

Re: CZ 75 BD COMPACT BUILD
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
How do you get the pits removed so cleanly? Sand them out by hand? File then sand? I've been looking at your previously built cz's. Love looking at these threads.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
It depends on where the pits are and how thick the metal is in the area. This gun for example had pits in the worst possible place, directly over the frame rail grooves, already a thin portion of the frame. First I measure the thickness of the metal and in this case made a few passes with a fine draw file just to see what kind of impact it would have and get some idea on how deep the pitting was. You have to be careful trying to sand pits away, depending on where they are you may create a dip in what should be a flat surface. In an area like this I only use sand paper to smooth and blend and always on a flat fixture to maintain a flat surface. Once I made a few initial passes and viewed the progress I felt safe to go ahead and draw file most of the pits off. Then using an auto body tool I blended off the file marks and then ran the frame across a fixed flat 9 X 11" 320 grit abrasive mounted to my bench to bring back the lines.
For the notch milled into the lower part of the frame I make round fixtures out of rolling up the paper that will fit into the notch and carefully keep the round abrasive within the limits of the notch making very short strokes. If you try to do this with a finger you will ruin the sharp lines and tend to sand a round notch with flat spots, a nightmare to go back and fix. The slide on this pistol is going to be the challenge. The entire front of the slide, all the way around is pitted. I think I can fix it but am not looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:03:33 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline rich63

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »
SP01SHADOW,

I really enjoy following and reading about your transformations. Between you & CGW, both of you give these old, warn out guns new life again. You sir, have skills.

rich63

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »
I appreciate the kind words but I could not compare my shade tree antics, not even in the smallest way, to the work done down South or out West. I just love those DIY projects and post them here to hopefully help someone else who has been bitten by the bug. I am still learning in the process and I love to see others doing DIY projects. I have to do something to keep my sanity tested daily by my real job. Sometimes they turn out to be fairly good projects but even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then.

Offline Stopsign32v

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
Now I want a steel frame compact decocker  :-[

Offline Stopsign32v

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »
Did you remove the import markings?

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
Not on this one.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »
The dings and gouges I was referring to:

Before

After

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:47:27 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
I have really enjoyed watching this rebuild. You have talent!

Offline cdunn334

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
I picked up one of the trade ins from buds. I like seeing the potential mine has. I just ordered some Cajun goodness for it. The first time out with it the mag split at the top, good thing I ordered some extras.

Offline rbmuse

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »
While waiting on the frame and slide I turned my attention to the barrel. The customer sent a dummy round so I throated the rifling lead so it won't choke on the longest of HP's or coated lead bullets. Then deburred and polished the feed ramp.

Remember the ruined barrel crown? I cut the barrel back just past the damaged area which had raised a burr up high enough on the outside of the barrel to damage the bushing and then put an 11 degree target crown on it.

When I test fitted the new GCW 10 X bushing it was going to be very tight on this barrels. I chucked up the barrel and took 3 thousands off between the 2 blacks lines. This will give an incredible lock up but let the barrel run freely during the recoil cycle.

Think I will call it quits for the day and go catch the latest Ghost Adventures. We will see what kind of haints they can conjure up tonight. See you tomorrow to continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rbmuse

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »
Great work! I really appreciate your photos and descriptions. I just receive two used ex military CZ75 D Compacts. Mine have outside holster ware, inside was very clean and showed little ware. I disassembled cleaned oiled reassembled and took them both to the range. Both worked very well. I put about 100 round thought each. The one with most holster ware was the better shooting?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 05:21:40 AM »
Great work! I really appreciate your photos and descriptions. I just receive two used ex military CZ75 D Compacts. Mine have outside holster ware, inside was very clean and showed little ware. I disassembled cleaned oiled reassembled and took them both to the range. Both worked very well. I put about 100 round thought each. The one with most holster ware was the better shooting?

Probably someone else knew it shot better, too.  That's why they carried it/used it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline rbmuse

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »

Probably someone else knew it shot better, too.  That's why they carried it/used it.

Offline rbmuse

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »

Met a guy at the range who knows a lot about CZs he shot both gun and said the one with more ware also had a better trigger, just from more shooting.