Author Topic: JUST BOUGHT A NEW 97b AND IM A LITTLE Upset  (Read 6777 times)

SPO1SHADOW

Re: JUST BOUGHT A NEW 97b AND IM A LITTLE Upset
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »
I shoot with a group of used to be 1911 freaks that have now all switched to the 97B's. There is over 20 of the used to bee's in the group. They finally convinced me I should have one after consistently handing me my a-- at the regular Friday night matches we attend. I purchased a 97B about 6 months ago, since then I have ran every known type and brand of ammunition through this gun without a single bobble or hitch. It would shoot ragged holes at 25 yards before the bushing mod with 200 grain SWC's and now shoots ragged holes with any ammo including my reloads. I realize that every company makes a lemon now and then and that could be what you have. Once the issue is found and corrected whether it is you or the gun, you will find the most accurate, reliable softest shooting .45 on the planet. Mine rivals the $3500.00 custom 1911's I used to own in every department. I had guns built and waited years to get what the 97B gave me right out of the box in reliability and accuracy. Send it back, get it fixed and get on with it.

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
I bought a new 97B, a year or two ago.  I forget now.  It has the updated feed ramp, fiber optic sight, and aluminum grip.  It is totally stock, and has been absolutely flawless with a few thousand rounds through it.  Accurate, and 100% reliable.  Don't give up on this great pistol!

Offline microtough

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2017, 03:23:02 AM »
Hi OP, I have the same gun and exactly same issue as yours. How's it right now? Have you solve the problem? Really appreciate it if your could update little bit.

Offline Piemn

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
Ok guys, I refrained from selling my 97 and gave it another shot. I stripped it down cleaned it lubed and greased it. I ahoy a couple mags through it this last weekend and it ran great using the same ammo. I even started to learned how it shot and got pretty bleep accurate with it in a short amount of time. I really like this thing and look forward to getting to know her a little better.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
 Well, that sounds like it worked itself out nicely.  Glad to hear the pistol is starting to meet your expectations.

Offline Boriqua

• Boriqua Leather
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 06:16:46 PM »
I always strip and clean my guns before taking them out for a test spin. I even go so far as to take full rail steel guns and sit in front of the TV and rack them a bunch before I go out.

Maybe a stupid habit but I had a high dollar 1911 that I took to the range and after 3-4 mags locked up solid. I couldnt move the slide. It was a stainless and I learned later that it happens more with stainless than carbon steel but the gun being a higher dollar gun had been built to some very tight tolerances. Once heated up some, it froze.

Once cool it freed up and I sat in front of the tv and racked that sucker probably 300 times. Cleaned it and oiled it and it never happened again and it was probably the most accurate handgun I ever owned in pure bullet in bullet hole fashion.

Usually its the mag that causes your type of failure but a slide that isnt cycling proper will give you fits as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:31:25 PM by Boriqua »

Offline Morbid1X

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 03:21:56 AM »
It's an incredibly accurate pistol, on of my favorites for sure

Offline jdgray

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Mine shoots very well, but just think how much better it would shoot without all the bushing loosness! I'm considering sending my slide to CGW for a 1911 bushing install, just for giggles.

Offline .45 acp nut

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »
It's good to hear that you didn't give up on the 97B. It's one of my favorites, of all my pistols. I used it last points season in USPSA L-10.  A full magazine can be difficult to load when the slide is in battery. I bought some +2 extensions for the 9mm magazines https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/545900000078_Plastic-Magazine-2-Base-Pad and took my Dremel tool to them and modified them to fit the 97 magazines. I didn't need the extra round in the mag (only one in 45acp), but the extra space made loading a full mag much easier when the pistol was in battery. I have never shot a factory loaded round out of my 97B however, I have a little over 4300 rounds through it and MINE will not feed 200gr. SWC. I've tried all the recipes that have worked in 1911's, Glock 21's, M&P's, etc. but they just don't work in MY 97B. Of course I varied the OAL to see if I could get some thing to work, but to no avail. YMMV
Sempr Fi!

anything