Author Topic: How Many of You Take More Than One Gun To The Range  (Read 26933 times)

Offline Beak Boater

How Many of You Take More Than One Gun To The Range
« on: May 31, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
Was shooting at the indoor range that I shoot at and was in the middle of changing targets, when the shooter next to me ask me what I was shooting. A 1911 in .45, oh he said and looked at the pistol I was getting out of my range bag and asked what that was, a CZ SP-01 Shadow Target in 9mm. He went on to tell me "you know you will never shoot consistently shooting different guns, you should just focus on one." I thanked him and said I enjoy shooting different pistols, I said after this I will shoot a .22. He shook his head and walked away back to his lane.
Thought about it for a while......so what do you guys do???? Shoot more than one, or just focus on a single pistol. When I switch guns, it may take me a couple of shots to get used to the different grip, trigger and sights, but I don't think I really prevents me from shoot them all well.
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Richrit

Re: How Many of You Take More Than One Gun To The Range
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
Its your time, enjoy.
Besides how boring is life if you do the same thing all the time.

Offline ttrashman1

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
I have three, sp-01 tactical, 1911 RO & Sig 938. I always bring all three. I would think l would get bored shooting just one. I also enjoy cleaning my guns so when l get home l have three to clean. When l get my forth l might think about leaving one at home. More than three might get alittle crowded. MAYBE!!!

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

cz75 sp01 Tactical 9mm
Springfield Range Officer 9mm
Sig 938

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
I don't think I've ever gone to the range with just one gun. 

I need to go right now (wanted to go tomorrow and got caught up in some other stuff in the morning, but might still be able to go later).

The plan is to take:

AR15 pistol to sight in with the DP Pro on it.

DPMS GII to do a combination function check and sight in confirmation (basically all new gas system/buffer/tube/stock.)

And, of course, the new (to me) CZ TS .40 S&W to shoot some groups with the 140 grain lead reloads that shoot well in my P07.

That will probably be it since I still have some time issues.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Psyop96

How Many of You Take More Than One Gun To The Range
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan. Less than three and I feel unfulfilled . Different calibers, different actions...keep notes of your performance with each and you should be able get dialed in quickly. On the other hand, if you're spending just an hour in most indoor ranges, more than three might be rushing it. That's my take based on how slow I move at indoor ranges.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
I always take two with me, but only shoot one. The second handgun is just a backup in case something goes wrong with the primary.

Offline Snakester

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »
Since We have a Range on our property , We shoot a lot. It seems I always have several guns with me at all times. I have a Range Bag (some would call it a bug out bag ) with my Rock Island 1911 9 mm and my Ruger SR40 . I always take it and love to shoot both. My wife , Carol always has her Range Bag with her Sig 1911 .22 and her Ruger SR .22. We always take a rifle or two , I like to shoot my AR's and my Henry's while Carol loves the S&W M&P .22 and Her Ruger Charger. We also always take The Scorpion too! Couldn't imagine taking only 1 at a time.

Offline ARodPDT117

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »
I always shoot multiple guns...if I concentrated all on one I am sure I would become more proficient with that particular firearm but I like to "Git Gud" with all of my different weapons and so I train with all of them, and I think I am just as or more proficient with all of my weapons then the average Joe is anyway. I would say if you only use one weapon then you turn into a one trick pony.  :D

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
I shoot 2 mags in my carry gun then practice with my practice gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

Ron M.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
When I go by myself I typically take a 38 or 357 revolver, a 44 or 45 revolver, a DA/SA 9mm and a 9mm or 45ACP 1911. When the wife goes we usually take one of her 32 H&R or 327 Fed revolvers, a second DA/SA 9mm pistol, and our CASS/SASS revolvers.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 08:12:21 PM »
When I went to test out the P-10C, I took two guns to shoot, the P-10C and the P-09, but the P-09 stayed in the box. I was having too much fun. I guess if I had had to, I could have unloaded my carry ammo from my SP-01 Phantom and shot it too. ;)

Offline PPS1980

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »
I always take at least 2 weapons to the range with me.  One is a primary carry gun (of which I have three - deep, CC, and FS/OC) and the other is one that I just want to take out for fun.  Often the 2nd weapon is chambered in 22LR because its the cheapest to shoot.  Today I had three with me - my new M&P, my FS Walther P99 for comparison, and a 10/22 Takedown for my daughter to get in her practice and for me to have fun. 

As for the gentleman's comment - BS.  Sorry.  But if you're getting ready for genuine high-level competition than I suppose one gun is important, but what do you do for 3 gun tournaments?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:18:03 PM by PPS1980 »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Jericho Hill

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
When I go I will take my Jericho 941, Sar b6p, TriStar c100 and the Witness 22lr slide to put on the first two.  I will already have well over a hundred rounds loaded in magazines before I get there because except when the 22slide is on one they can all use the same mags from the bag.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »
I've taken just one before but that is the exception.  I almost always have several for most range trips.

I don't get there often enough, so I want to maximize my choices when I'm there

Offline Guardsix6

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »
I take at least two, my FN 509 and my CZ P10c.  If I have time I might take my S&W M&P Pro C.O.R.E. and shoot some distance, but it's my range time and I'll shoot what I want.  Besides, I want to experience every different kind of pistol available.  You get in a jam, you might have to protect  with whatever you can grab.  I don't have to be an expert, just better than the idiot thugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

anything