Author Topic: Barrel wear on brand new CZ75B SA  (Read 783 times)

Offline CZ97B

Barrel wear on brand new CZ75B SA
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »
First of all, I love the gun and I'm not flipping out over this but I just bought a CZ75B Single Action and the barrel has a lot of wear marks on it already. Is this typical? I'm sure it's fine and it shoots really well but it just seems kind of odd.

Offline CZ97B

Re: Barrel wear on brand new CZ75B SA
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:01:34 PM »
Here's a pic of the barrel and one of the gun.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 01:21:57 AM »
I've had an SA for a little over a year. My started doing that from the git-go. It's normal wear as far as I know.

Offline ProtectTheSecond

• His 'n Her 9mm-TS
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 02:04:42 AM »
It's kinda weird CZ would release a zebra stripe phosphate coated barrel if it wasn't normal

I mean how obvious can it get...but yeah mine arrived with wear stripes as well

I say just shoot it and enjoy...you got 5 years to see if there's an issue
CZ 527 American .223/CZ 75 TS 9mm/CZ 75 TS 9mm (yes 2-His 'n Her) CZ 75 SA 9mm/CZ Kadet 2

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding."  - The United States Supreme Court -

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:31:04 AM »
See the current P01 barrel wear thread going on in the compact forum.  Normal wear.  Ideas how to make it pretty...

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »
There is a heat treatment coating on the bbl.  It is normal for friction areas to rub this coating off.
The bbl bushing will also rub off elongated 'Vs" on the top and bottom of the bbl that slides through the bushing when cycling.
Some polish the visible areas on the bbl - in the ejection port and the very tip of the bbl - for "looks".
Other 75s may or may not have this coating.  My 75b had it.  My Custom 75 Shadow didn't.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:56:27 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Winkel

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »
Judging by the pictures, you couldn't 'feel' them.  It's just the coating wearing a little and shouldn't be a problem.

These things are fit with the slightest of interference which is part of the reason they are so accurate.  The two mating parts will wear into each other so what you're seeing is nothing to worry about.

Just my two cents.

Offline GotDogs

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »
Did it come that way from the dealer or had you put a few rounds through it to achieve that wear?  John
" Bad Decisions Make Good Stories "

Offline Iggy913

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 10:48:49 AM »
My SA also showed nearly identical wear prior to my first shots through it, between factory test fires and my own racking of the slide it's bound to happen.

I ended up actually polishing my barrel, started with 800 grit, then 1500, 2000, then polished with a dremel and good polish.  I think if your thinking about going this route your best to start in the higher grit papers as I did so your not going to remove metal or create gouges in the metal. Also you have to make sure your not rounding off the square edges of the barrel lugs.  I also polished up the feed ramp while I was there.

I ended up with a super smooth finish that shines like crazy and gives the CZ a very classic look.  I've got some pictures on my iPhone but don't have any idea how to post them.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 12:21:31 AM »
JMHO:
I would be wary "polishing" the bbl.  The fit in the bbl bushing and bbl lugs determines the accuracy of the pistol.
David at CGW fits his bbls so the bbl has to just be "tapped" to release from the lugs.  His 10X bbl bushing is custom fit to the individual bbl.  Just saying.
A little polishing in the visible parts of the bbl that "doesn't travel through the bbl bushing or affect the lugs" isn't going to effect anything other than looks.
"Polishing" can be done with a very fine grade of rouge/Flitz or similar using a Dremel loose cotton or felt wheel to get an attractive "look".

Offline sberres

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 07:44:45 PM »
Enjoy your new gun!
I just got my 75b omega a few of weeks ago and it also had a bit of this wear pattern in the barrel finish. So what?  These are sliding parts that have a surface treatment applied to them for hardness and corrosion resistance and don't seem to drag in the least. The feed ramp didn't have any tooling marks but wasn't shiny either. Through the first 500 or so rounds I've had only a single failure to fire due to a backward primer. All the same type of reloads so I maybe haven't put it through much extreme testing yet but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why all the obsession over polishing for the sake of polishing?
  I did have an issue with the reset that was cured with a bit of polishing and it helped reduce the gritty feel during the pre-travel of the trigger bar but I see little reason other than cosmetic to mess with barrel contact surfaces unless there is an attributable issue with function or smoothness. It is a gun, after all, and these parts are made to work well under some rather extreme conditions and relatively close tolerances. Keep it clean and lubed, shoot well, repeat. Often.  JMO

Online Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
On one of the videos from Military Arms Channel I remember seeing a clip from when he visited the CZ factory. It showed a machine that was cycling slides on their frames. He didn't mention if they do this to all pistols of the ones that have a tighter fit from the factory and get a factory break in. When I've seen these threads where people ask about what looks like barrel wear on new pistols my theory is they got a factory break in...

On that note, how's this fit? And are there any wear marks on the slide?
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline 24voltsdc

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
My SA also showed nearly identical wear prior to my first shots through it, between factory test fires and my own racking of the slide it's bound to happen.

I ended up actually polishing my barrel, started with 800 grit, then 1500, 2000, then polished with a dremel and good polish.  I think if your thinking about going this route your best to start in the higher grit papers as I did so your not going to remove metal or create gouges in the metal. Also you have to make sure your not rounding off the square edges of the barrel lugs.  I also polished up the feed ramp while I was there.

I ended up with a super smooth finish that shines like crazy and gives the CZ a very classic look.  I've got some pictures on my iPhone but don't have any idea how to post them.
According to CZ you shouldn't polish the barrel. It's treated with something to keep it protected from rust and heat.
My 75 B SA looked exactly the same. It's nothing to worry about.

Offline Iggy913

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:45 PM »
I'm sure CZ would prefer you don't do anything to your weapon other than shoot, clean, and lubricate your firearm. Anything along the lines of suggested parts replacement or upgrades would open them up to a tremendous liability.

The wear marks on most people's CZs are seen almost as "beauty marks" which are earned through years of use and thousands of rounds. Heck in the gun refinishing world there is a "battleworn" finish style being done which makes the weapon look like it's been to hell and back, which has come on as extremely popular recently.

I would say not to worry about scratches in the barrel or other internal parts, the gun is making its own clearances and will run smoother as it "wears in".  However I would also not be afraid to polish parts as seen in a multitude of threads in order to maintain a desired look. The way I went about polishing the exterior of my barrel as I noted above resulted in a chrome like shine which still functions perfectly fine.  For what it's worth I also have a CGW barrel bushing on my SA and have to use a plastic hammer to tap lightly on the barrel when field stripping so I dont think I hurt the accuracy of my weapon any.

anything