Author Topic: OK getting rid of brandishing  (Read 917 times)

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
OK getting rid of brandishing
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »

When this law takes effect you'll be able to legally present your arm as a deterrent without firing it.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/05/dean-weingarten/oklahoma-governor-signs-defensive-display-bill-law/

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: OK getting rid of brandishing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:48:02 PM »
Excellent! We've had lawful defensive display here in AZ for a few years now, and it's working just fine.

Offline John A.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »
Good.

That's a stupid law in the first place.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline ProtectTheSecond

• His 'n Her 9mm-TS
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:02:46 AM »
All states need to adopt similar legislation except Kalifornia whose only ambition is to protect the children from any and everything
CZ 527 American .223 / His 'n Her (2) CZ 75 TS 9mm / His 'n Her (2) CZ 75 SA 9mm / Kadet Kit

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding."  - The United States Supreme Court -[/b

Offline damo4570

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »
Ahhhh, nice.

For once, I'm not ashamed to live in Oklahoma.

Offline rjeffery14

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »
So previously you're better off shooting someone than getting in trouble for pointing a gun at them to deter them?

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »
I'll put it this way. If you shoot somebody in self-defense theoretically you won't face a criminal charge. You do have to live with what's happened. You can also be sued whether or not the suit has merit.

If you pull out your gun and the bad guy runs off without you shooting you don't face possible prosecution for the shooting if the DA didn't think it was justified. You don't have to live with the fact that you shot somebody. You can still get sued for just about anything whether it has merit or not. I guess the bad guy could come back and sue you, saying you caused him mental anguish. You could face a charge of brandishing under the old laws.

There is no free lunch.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:32:54 PM by delphidoc »

Offline slikshoes

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 06:58:13 PM »
Excellent! We've had lawful defensive display here in AZ for a few years now, and it's working just fine.

Weren't you guys the pioneers of such a law?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 11:29:42 PM »
Yes, and the No Civil Liability one, too. That means that if an action is deemed justifiable, the actor cannot be sued, i.e., as stated above, robber sues for mental anguish. In Berkeley, they hail him as a hero and give him a toilet paper, (I mean "ticket tape", yeah, that's the word), parade through downtown. Here in AZ, if the Defensive Display per law is deemed justifiable, then bad guy's lawsuit gets tossed out of court.

anything