Author Topic: Captive Recoil Spring Removal  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Husky629

Captive Recoil Spring Removal
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »
I purchased new recoil springs for my new to me RAMI BD, but haven't figured out the trick yet.  How do you slide or pop the cap off for the inner captive spring?

Offline Ruber

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
I use an old bent fork to compress the inner spring enough to release tension on the guide lock washer.

The washer should then be able to slide down the guide rod a tiny bit to unlock and can then snap off. 

I always get a couple new washers when there is a web special, but I've never had one break.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0640163001_Guide-Rod-Lock-Washer-Rami

If you look at the guide rod picture:
http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0640161001_Recoil-Spring-Guide-Rami
You'll see the washer does not need to slide down much at all, just enough for the detent to clear.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:33:53 PM by Ruber »

Offline Husky629

Re: Captive Recoil Spring Removal
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:04:32 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  I took the tension off the washer, but the  washer was taking a lot more force to pop off.  Now that I know that it needs to come off, I will be a little more aggressive.   :)

Offline Ruber

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
Ok, make sure the washer is sliding down a bit.  There is a slight depression in the washer that fits the end of the guide rod to lock it in place.  That needs to clear.

But other than that, yep, similar force you'd expect from a retaining ring.

Good luck!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:20:05 AM »
Ok, make sure the washer is sliding down a bit.  There is a slight depression in the washer that fits the end of the guide rod to lock it in place.  That needs to clear.

But other than that, yep, similar force you'd expect from a retaining ring.

Good luck!

Thanks! I've been wondering how to do this, and this info really helps.  I've got 3000 rounds through my RAMI BD, and I've replaced the outer spring 2x already as they seem to get weak for me after ~1,200 rounds or so. I was told by CZUSA that the outer spring goes 1st and inner lasts longer, so I'll replace the inner too next time at ~3,600. YMMV
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Ruber

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:45:31 PM »
Great!  I've always liked changing springs at the same time (really just don't want to keep track of more than I need to...).

So figuring that out was high on my list :D

Offline Husky629

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »
So, I finally swapped out the inner spring tonight.  It was more involved than I had hoped.   :(  The retaining washer was on pretty tight.  I had to use a brass punch with some solid strikes. I did make sure it was in the recessed portion of the recoil guide rod.  Since I only have two hands, I had to made a simple fixture with a few blocks of wood, a few washers, and a vice to keep the assembly compressed while I held the punch and hammer.

I also had to use the punch and fixture to re-assemble the washer.  I think that next time, I will be spending the extra few bucks to buy the complete assembly.  ;)

Offline Ruber

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:37:05 AM »
Sorry it was such a pain.  I might order a new whole assembly some time and see if the design changed between my '04 gun and current production.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
I haven't tried replacing the inner spring yet; but if I run into problems I'll try a different strategy.
Because the outer spring wears much faster; I'll simply replace the outer spring several times before replacing the complete assembly only 1/3 of the time.

"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline kkborre

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »
Are you talking about the recoil assembly?  The CZ parts site says:  "PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A CAPTURED RECOIL SPRING SYSTEM. PLEASE DO NOT DISASSEMBLE DUE TO RISK OF INJURY."
Are you taking it apart to replace the inner recoil spring?  I've replaced the outer recoil spring, but I just bought a new recoil assembly when I thought the inner spring could stand to be replaced.
"May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?"

Offline Ruber

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 12:55:34 AM »
Hmmm.... that warning wasn't always there...  wonder what happened. 

The inner spring on my '04 RAMI has always been so easy to change, I wondered why anyone would not change both at the same time.  Guess this answers it.