Author Topic: Single shot adapter  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Sporty

Single shot adapter
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »
CZ magazine at left. CZ single shot adapter at right. The initial angle of the cartridge in the adapter forces the extractors to spread around the rim of the cartridge. Not good for a couple reasons. I don't think the cartridge chambers exactly the same as from a magazine and it adds unnecessary wear to the extractors.

With the magazine, as the bolt moves forward it pushes the cartridge past a magazine retainer and then the cartridge springs up behind the extractors.

What are your thoughts on single shot adapters being used when zeroing is done with a magazine and on wear and tear of the extractors?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:45:23 PM by Sporty »

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: Single shot adapter
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:45:42 PM »
My kids have thousands of rounds through them in their Kadets (the gun these ship with).  I also used both of them for our 4H Shooting Sports program when we didn't have enough rifles.  There have been zero issues with the extractor, and accuracy has been more than acceptable for such a small gun.  I've have even used them in my 455 Ultra Lux. 

One benefit of the sled is that the cartridge is perfectly aligned with the chamber when going in.  I've shot some one hole groups through my Ultra Lux using the sled and RWS Match Hollowpoints.

Offline HDW58

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »
Your over thinking the whole process, I have fired thousands of rounds from a custom single shot adapter in my CZ's with no bad effects and they do chamber exactly like they would from a magazine. If you think about it how many Anschutz and other match rifles are single shot that pushes the extractor and holder over the case rim.

Offline bamajoey

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
Couple years back there was a thread on Rimfire Central concerning the single shot adapters. Several folks including myself build their own that work just as well if not better than the 5 round mag or the Factory SSA. I have made probably two dozen and given most of them away. It takes maybe 15 minutes and a scrap of hardwood.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
Couple years back there was a thread on Rimfire Central concerning the single shot adapters. Several folks including myself build their own that work just as well if not better than the 5 round mag or the Factory SSA. I have made probably two dozen and given most of them away. It takes maybe 15 minutes and a scrap of hardwood.

Do you have the plans for someone to make one? 

Offline glg20

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:07:50 PM »
I have used one for 10+ years with no problems. But hey, everyone that loves firearms likes to build a better mousetrap.  ;D

Offline viking499

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:44:33 PM »
My kids have thousands of rounds through them in their Kadets (the gun these ship with).  I also used both of them for our 4H Shooting Sports program when we didn't have enough rifles.  There have been zero issues with the extractor, and accuracy has been more than acceptable for such a small gun.  I've have even used them in my 455 Ultra Lux. 

One benefit of the sled is that the cartridge is perfectly aligned with the chamber when going in.  I've shot some one hole groups through my Ultra Lux using the sled and RWS Match Hollowpoints.

Don't you mean Scout instead of Kadet?

Offline bamajoey

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:03:16 AM »

Do you have the plans for someone to make one?

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378684&highlight=homemade+single+shot+adapters

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
Don't you mean Scout instead of Kadet?

Wow!  Brainfart!

While I do have a Kadet, I don't think a single shot adapter would make much sense in it!

Offline ethangsmith

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
I bought them from CZ for my 452 Trainer and 452 Ultra Lux. After hundreds or rounds, I haven't had a single issue.
Czech it out!

Offline HDW58

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:10 AM »
The best functioning single shot adapter I have ever seen is made by a member over at RFC, his name there is "rinardman" his adapter fits into your current CZ magazine and is made of delrin and I can tell you from experience it works perfect, no scraping lead or lube when chambering, price is very reasonable to.

SailDesign

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »
My single-shot adapter works as well as the adapter I have had in my Winchester 52B for over 40 years.  That gun has many thousands of rounds through it, all using the adapter.  I should probably just sell the 5-shot mag as it has never been used (OK, once, just to try it, but I hated it...)