Author Topic: Alliant Sport Pistol  (Read 2940 times)

SPO1SHADOW

Re: Alliant Sport Pistol
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
I loaded some rounds tonight with Sport Pistol just to see if the burn rate in 9mm was where I thought it would be from looking at the load data. There is none for 135 grain bullets which is what I like to shoot. So splitting the difference between the top load for 124 grain bullets and the same for 147 grain bullets it looks like a decent load for a 135 grain coated bullet should be around 3.7 to 3.8 grains of powder. I loaded 3.8 grains @ an OAL of 1.120. I did not get to chrono anything but I was paying attention to the primers, case head expansion and the general look of the fired brass. Case head expansion was minimal and I did not get any burned cases so at this level the brass is fully sealing the chamber, primers look normal and the case ejection was about the same as the Clean Shot and Prima V I have been shooting. Recoil was about the same but the one thing I noticed that may make this stuff worth the purchase was the level of smoke it was producing in the late humid afternoon as compared to the other 2 powders mentioned. If it chronos like I think it will and has any sort of accuracy it just might be the winner. Compared to the Clean Shot and Prima V there is about an 80% reduction in smoke, it's just as clean shooting and maybe a little more so. I will try to get in some chrono and accuracy tests tomorrow if it doesn't rain me out but just the big reduction in smoke and its cleanliness has my interests tweaked. It measures superbly and fills the case nicely. If it is accurate it may just be what I am searching for to replace the very expensive and sometimes hard to find N320.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:53:59 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline RenegadeDave

• Pontificating on the Process
    • My Youtube Page!
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2017, 07:30:11 AM »
I loaded some rounds tonight with Sport Pistol just to see if the burn rate in 9mm was where I thought it would be from looking at the load data. There is none for 135 grain bullets which is what I like to shoot. So splitting the difference between the top load for 124 grain bullets and the same for 147 grain bullets it looks like a decent load for a 135 grain coated bullet should be around 3.7 to 3.8 grains of powder. I loaded 3.8 grains @ an OAL of 1.120. I did not get to chrono anything but I was paying attention to the primers, case head expansion and the general look of the fired brass. Case head expansion was minimal and I did not get any burned cases so at this level the brass is fully sealing the chamber, primers look normal and the case ejection was about the same as the Clean Shot and Prima V I have been shooting. Recoil was about the same but the one thing I noticed that may make this stuff worth the purchase was the level of smoke it was producing in the late humid afternoon as compared to the other 2 powders mentioned. If it chronos like I think it will and has any sort of accuracy it just might be the winner. Compared to the Clean Shot and Prima V there is about an 80% reduction in smoke, it's just as clean shooting and maybe a little more so. I will try to get in some chrono and accuracy tests tomorrow if it doesn't rain me out but just the big reduction in smoke and its cleanliness has my interests tweaked. It measures superbly and fills the case nicely. If it is accurate it may just be what I am searching for to replace the very expensive and sometimes hard to find N320.
I look forward to your tests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out my Youtube channel! I geek out on CZ's and post match videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoliathGT

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
Had some time this afternoon and the weather cooperated nicely. I fired 40 rounds today, same 135 grain ACME coated with 3.8 grains of Sport Pistol loaded to 1.120. two 10 round strings over the chrono showed a high of 989 and a low of 969 on the first string and high 988 and a low of 976 on the second. The average for both strings was 984.  I shot a few off hand groups at 20 yards after warming up at the chrono and all were under 2". Smoke was the same today, I did not notice it at all. I had a buddy watching and he said he could see some puffs of smoke but nothing like the CS or PV we have been shooting at this time of day, nothing you have to look around or under to see the target.This powder has a low report for a load approaching 133 power factor but has a different sound than any I have used before. I will try backing it off two tenths attempting a power factor of 130 to see if it starts to produce any smoke in the late afternoon. It is very clean and soft shooting leaving only a gray coloring like N320 with a low but slightly different report. All good so far!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2017, 07:33:10 PM »
Thanks for further testing SP01Shadow. I lack the chronograph, but the cleanliness, low smoke, Grey residue and your other results seem similar to my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2017, 07:36:23 PM »
Did you notice the tone of the report? Sounds a little different to me than the others.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2017, 08:10:58 PM »
I was muffed and plugged at an indoor range... So I didn't. I've got another 100 loaded up and I'll shoot them outdoors on Monday. I'll see if I can snag some video and I'll listen  for the report (and maybe I'll shoot decent again).

"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
So.... I thought I'd broken my draw. In dry fire I thought I fixed it, but whatever I did threw off my grip and trigger pull. Last range session was miserable and this one had a lot of dry fire mixed into live fire. The figure out what I changed and I'm coming back around with my draw and grip and trigger pull.

That all culminated into shooting from a wrist rest at 25 yards with my SP-01 Compact to see if I could get some accuracy out of Sport Pistol. And.... BOOM! This is a first for me but I got a 4 shot group at 1 3/4"!!!

Side note, I had to hit the indoor range. Couldn't sneak away to drive out to the boonies for an outdoor session. It's hard to tell the difference in sound indoors for me. But it absolutely produces much less smoke than any other powder I've shot! Clean, accurate, not smokey, and thanks to SP01Shadow we have confirmed velocities. This is good stuff!

Oh and I didn't notice my pistols getting any hotter than normal.... I'll run mag dumps next time and specifically feel for that.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:21:21 PM by Scarlett Pistol »
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Online nicky

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
That's very nice shooting at 25yds. my friend.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2017, 09:03:28 PM »
That's very nice shooting at 25yds. my friend.
Thank you!

2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »
i spent most of the afternoon today banging away with my new P-07 and my P-09. i backed the load off to 3.6 grains of powder and did indeed reach 130 PF. It is not quite as clean but the smoke was still at a minimum and the accuracy did not suffer still making 1 3/4" groups at 20 yards. The softness increased and at 130 this is a very soft shooting powder as would be expected. Double taps and drills were a breeze even with the smaller lighter P-07. Glad i purchased 8 lbs of it. It compares very closely with N320 in just about every aspect. i think we have a winner and at the same price as Promo what more could you want.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »
Update. Today I fired the most accurate 9mm load I have ever tried. 4.3 of Sport Pistol with an RMR 124 grain hollow point loaded to 1.130 with Winchester primers. 5 rounds went almost in the same hole at 25 yards, absolutely no smoke and nothing has ever been cleaner burning. I tried this load with 3 different guns, Shadow, CZ 75 Pre-B with 10X and my P-09. All 3 guns produced nearly identical groups. The new RMR jacketed hollow points in combination with the new Sport Pistol is an absolute winner. And to add, very soft shooting. My search is over.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
Update. Today I fired the most accurate 9mm load I have ever tried. 4.3 of Sport Pistol with an RMR 124 grain hollow point loaded to 1.130 with Winchester primers. 5 rounds went almost in the same hole at 25 yards, absolutely no smoke and nothing has ever been cleaner burning. I tried this load with 3 different guns, Shadow, CZ 75 Pre-B with 10X and my P-09. All 3 guns produced nearly identical groups. The new RMR jacketed hollow points in combination with the new Sport Pistol is an absolute winner. And to add, very soft shooting. My search is over.

This doesn't help my "needs" list... Now I "need" those bullets to go with this powder!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:45:18 PM by Scarlett Pistol »
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline baldrage

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 09:16:52 AM »
Yes, you guys are not helping my bank account! I just picked up 8# of HP-38 and 1K RMR 124 gr FMJ, now I'm trying to rationalize some Sport Pistol and JHP...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:31:53 AM by baldrage »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2017, 12:41:35 PM »
Update. Today I fired the most accurate 9mm load I have ever tried. 4.3 of Sport Pistol with an RMR 124 grain hollow point loaded to 1.130 with Winchester primers. 5 rounds went almost in the same hole at 25 yards

Just saw Bowenbuilt, a guy over at the Benos forums who I know to do lots and lots of meticulous load testing, describe Alliant Sport Pistol as:

...accurate as hell with most any jacketed bullet i have tried it with.

I need to lose some of the powder I have to make room for a newcomer. 

Offline Stubb

• Personal home page
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
Just saw Bowenbuilt, a guy over at the Benos forums who I know to do lots and lots of meticulous load testing, describe Alliant Sport Pistol as:

...accurate as hell with most any jacketed bullet i have tried it with.

I need to lose some of the powder I have to make room for a newcomer.

Link to the thread on BEnos?

Edit: link to the post.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:46:10 PM by Stubb »