Author Topic: What's the consensus on dry firing?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline MattStainless

What's the consensus on dry firing?
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
Is it ok to dry fire these guns... a lot?

Having trouble finding a clear answer.

I have replaced the firing pin retaining pin with the cgw provided pin in the defensive carry package.

The stock pin that came out did have some noticeable wear on it.

at any rate, I've been using snap caps, not sure if they are helping anything. 

Dry firing ok?

Offline Warbird

Re: What's the consensus on dry firing?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »
Snap caps "cushion" the firing pin. Use them (or an o-ring under the hammer) and keep on dry-firing!   :-)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Steve
CZ P-07 (.40 S&W)
Taurus PT111 Millennium G2

"God Bless The USA" - we need this now more than ever!

Offline BuckJm53

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »
Is it ok to dry fire these guns... a lot?

Matt ... Not sure of your definition of a lot.  Hundreds? ... Thousands? .... Tens of Thousands?

That said, I have dry fired my 75b at least a couple thousand times (some with laser cartridge and some without) in addition to over 16,000 live rounds down the pipe with the original firing pin and no issues.  Keeping it real, any significant dry fire (movement of mechanical parts) with any center fire pistol will create some degree of "wear" over a period of time.  Bottom line in my view ... watch for excessive wear, replace parts if needed and carry on with your dry fire practice  :) .
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:14:31 PM by BuckJm53 »
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free" - Ronald Reagan
The Ohio Gun Owners Forum

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 12:40:10 PM »
From what i have seen, the issue that eventually comes up from dry firing is ware on the factory Firing Pin Retaining Pin. For insurance i like to install the Cajun Gun Works replacement option. For 5 bucks i have found it to be worth it.

61100 Firing Pin Retaining Pin

https://cajungunworks.com/product/61100-tempered-spring-steel-firing-pin-retaining-pin/

As mentioned above placing a rubber O-ring behind the Firing Pin during long dry firing sessions is also a good idea. With the replacement CGW's FPRP and an O ring i have not seen anyone have any issues.

Picture for reference.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
I'm no expert and not a gunsmith.

However, after having "fiddled" with several of my CZ's (and one pistol that belongs to my youngest son) I'm reminded of something I've believed for a long time.

Even guns of the same model can/will be different than another.  Manufacturing tolerances and QC specs (a range of what is acceptable).

The CZ 75 Compact Clone I'm carrying now was brand new when I bought it.  The FFL I order through cut the tape/tag on the box so I could see it after I filled out the paperwork and we were waiting on the "instant background check" to go through. 

I took it to the range and shot a box or so of ammo through it.  When I got it home and started taking it apart to put the CGW goodies in it the firing pin retaining pin I removed from it was already crushed in on one side.  How much dry firing do they do at the factory?  Or, was the slot in the firing pin enough different in this pistol - or the roll pin soft enough, that the first range session (no drying firing) damaged the roll pin that much?

I've seen other pins that just had the finish knocked off them and I know I dry fired them some.

I bought snap caps for all the CZ's.  9MM and .40 S&W.  Then I bought more and gave some to my sons and nephew.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
I reused my original Matte Stainless firing pin retaining pin having made the CGW 3 spring mod before receiving both harden pin replacements from cgw and czc.  Despite having dry fired maybe 75 times without snap caps since 2012, it appeared in good shape.

My PCR's pin, however had a hole cut into it after only a handful of dry fires!  Replaced with CGW version, haven't checked it since (low round count since then).  Pretty much the only time my guns are dry fired without snap caps is when introducing other shooters to them before hitting the range.

Maybe should replace my snap caps.  Do THEY have a life/rating?  I'm too afraid to use the o-ring (not really).  If left in accidentally gun no go bang!  Bad thing if needed for SD.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 11:56:20 PM »
I've never used snap caps but I've read that they eventually begin to crumble and deposit plastic debris in the barrel and inside the frame.

I bought a pack of #83 O-rings at the local hardware store. Much cheaper than snap caps and they seem to work fine.

As someone else posted in the past 3 of my 4 CZs still set off a laser cartridge when dry firing with an O-ring. I found I had to use an O-ring with the laser because the extended firing pins started screwing up the cartridge- it started staying on all the time until I started using the O-ring with it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:05:33 AM by delphidoc »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 01:11:32 AM »
With those CZs that have the Firing Pin Safety,  they are susceptible to damage the firing pin stop/pin.  It is a roll pin that can be crushed where the firing pin hits it in the center of the roll pin.  This can make it very difficut to remove,  or even start to shed "splinters" tha can jam the FP .  several threads here and other places have posted pics and described the difficult repairs.
I now use the (oops)  "O-RING" instead of snap caps.  I use the snap caps for FTF/jam practice drills and to check my trigger pulls.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:22:30 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Longshanks

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 04:46:50 AM »
Tyerone's  post  got me thinking ...

".......  I'm too afraid to use the o-ring (not really).  If left in accidentally gun no go bang!  Bad thing if needed for SD......."

since the O-ring seems a good way to cushion that hammer ,  why not  attach 2 or 3 inches of  some sort of brightly colored string to that O-ring. You can still use it without forgetting it in there . Just an idea
Shoot for fun and shoot safe !
Cz75 SP-01 Shadow   
Cz75 B Stainless  
Cz 453 Varmint
77' Walther P1           
2006 Taurus 689 6" STAINLESS
2012 Taurus 689 4" BLUE
Dan Wesson PM7-45
Hatsan MP 12g pump-action
Hatsan PS Marine Guard 12g Semi
Sabatti Tactical S .223 rem

Offline Joe L

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 07:43:37 AM »
Snap caps cease to be effective after a few dry fires.  An 0-ring or even a foam ear plug will save your firing pin and retaining pin.  I've dinged up several factory pins dry firing without protection. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline eastman

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »
Tyerone's  post  got me thinking ...

".......  I'm too afraid to use the o-ring (not really).  If left in accidentally gun no go bang!  Bad thing if needed for SD......."

since the O-ring seems a good way to cushion that hammer ,  why not  attach 2 or 3 inches of  some sort of brightly colored string to that O-ring. You can still use it without forgetting it in there . Just an idea

buy the red silicone o-rings and you'll easily see if you left it in
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline inspector1999

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »
When I bought my SP-01 from Cajun Gun Works, on the phone he recommended using the O-ring trick. I figured if they did the work to my gun, I should listen.  As for forgetting it, I did and couldn't figure out why the gun wouldn't go bang at the range. Now I start and end each dry practice session putting the O-ring back in the container it came in.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Sean1

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 11:06:49 PM »
I used Tok's rubber Oring method and this home made dry firing contraption I put together. At roughly 1350 cycles per hour is much more comfortable than dry firing by hand
The hammer spring is a spare one that I cut a little bit to lighten the pull load on the motor.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »
I used Tok's rubber Oring method and this home made dry firing contraption I put together. At roughly 1350 cycles per hour is much more comfortable than dry firing by hand
The hammer spring is a spare one that I cut a little bit to lighten the pull load on the motor.

Tee hee hee!  With all that dry fire practice, I bet your robot  can really produce tight groups at the range!  Have you noticed whether the robot learned not to flinch?

Offline Sean1

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:37 PM »
Between a steady pull and the gun locked in a vise, it's bulls eye every shot  ;)

anything