Author Topic: Loading 38 spl  (Read 1416 times)

Offline ReloaderFred

Re: Loading 38 spl
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
Rather than speculate about what powder charges to use, go to your reloading manual and look up .357 Magnum loads for 120/125 gr. cast bullets and start there, since you're loading plated bullets.  Just a quick look in the Lyman 48th, which is the one I keep by my computer, gives a bunch of loads in the 900 fps range as starting loads with several different powders.  You can also load in .357 Magnum brass below the start load for the bullet you're using, but keep it in the upper range of .38 Special loads.  That way, you don't have to worry about sticking a bullet in the barrel.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different loads in this caliber.  The load I use the most isn't even specifically listed in any manuals.  I just experimented with different loads until I got what I wanted and stopped right there for the bullets I cast the most.

Trying to extrapolate can get confusing sometimes, and the formulas don't always work out.  I'll take one example to show you.  In the Lyman 48th, it shows a load for a 120 gr. cast bullet with a maximum of 4.6 gr. of Bullseye for the .38 Spl. which gives 1001 fps and 16,400 C.U.P.  For a 120 gr. cast bullet in .357 Mag., it lists a starting load of 6.5 gr. of Bullseye which gives 994 fps and 18,800 C.U.P. 

The .357 Mag. case is 1/10" longer than the .38 Spl., so it takes more powder to make up for the increased volume to get a similar velocity for the same weight bullet.  But notice in the above example that to get nearly the same velocity, the pressure was 2,400 C.U.P higher in the .357 Mag. for nearly the same velocity, and the lower pressure of the .38 Spl. actually averaged 7 fps higher.  It could have been due to different test vehicles, or other factors, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:12 AM »
Yes ^^

The only thing your experimentation needs to stay away from is light loads with high-density powders. The 38 and 357 cases are so large in internal volume that "case fill" can become important. Otherwise velocities can vary wildly depending upon whether you pointed the gun up (powder near the primer), or pointed the gun down (powder near the bullet) before you fired.

Highly suggest you dig up the old "brass swapping" thread and ask for 38 Spcl brass. Your brothers on this forum fixed me up for sure !!

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline copemech

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 11:30:27 PM »

Don't be afraid to experiment with different loads in this caliber.  The load I use the most isn't even specifically listed in any manuals.  I just experimented with different loads until I got what I wanted and stopped right there for the bullets I cast the most.

Trying to extrapolate can get confusing sometimes, and the formulas don't always work out.  I'll take one example to show you.  In the Lyman 48th, it shows a load for a 120 gr. cast bullet with a maximum of 4.6 gr. of Bullseye for the .38 Spl. which gives 1001 fps and 16,400 C.U.P.  For a 120 gr. cast bullet in .357 Mag., it lists a starting load of 6.5 gr. of Bullseye which gives 994 fps and 18,800 C.U.P. 

Man you got that right! At least it is forgiving and the gun is rated for the Magnum loads so I don't really have to worry about blowing anything up with powderpuff loads.

After looking at my Lyman book and the Hodgdon data for 125, I just went along with the XTP data as a starter.

These plated bullets are a hybrid thing, and not unlike Berrys tells you to use FMJ data more or less, I can go with that I think. I just want to keep it simple, and hopefully clean burning enough. I think I measured a .357 dia. on these and not the .358 of the cast lead. Yet the chrono should tell the tale!

As far as the brass situation goes, I will continue to keep an eye out for good range pickup as that has given me a couple hundred to work with already along with 50 factory rounds I purchased I will be OK I think. It is not like one loses a lot on the insert six/ remove six schedule. That stuff may outlast me!

I have enough trouble keepin up with my appetite for 9mm and .22 along with .223 already! O0