Author Topic: Subcompact accuracy  (Read 730 times)

Offline Lbj1891

Subcompact accuracy
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:24:46 AM »
I recently bought my first subcompact pistol, a s&w shield 9mm. In short, its been a game changer and has worked well as a concealed carry gun. Now, ive spent some time with it at the range(~300 rounds). I'm getting 2-3 inch groups at 7 yards and I had a blast while doing it. I ran various loads through it and found it to be very manageable even with the flush fitting mag and +p loads. Overall, Im impressed.

Now, my question to you all is what are your expectations of accuracy with smaller handguns like subcompacts? Do you hold yourself to the same standards as when shooting larger sized handguns?

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Subcompact accuracy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:54:30 AM »
I practice quite a bit. I hold myself and my guns to the same accuracy standards. I force myself to be just as accurate with my J frames as I'am with my larger guns.

Offline TheCloud

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 07:21:29 AM »
The more time you spend on the subcompacts, the more accurate you will get (of course).  I used to shoot IDPA matches in NC with a guy that only shot his Shield in matches and was placing well above the G34's, XDM's,  1911's, etc.  I'm a big fan of shooting matches with my carry gun although it does hurt a little to leave the Shadow Custom at home when she is such a fine shooter  :D
Sent from TheCloud

CZC SP-01 Shadow Custom
CZ P-02
CZ 75b Matte Stainless

Offline 2bfree

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »
I have to say, there ain't no way I am as accurate with my 2 inch 38 SPL snubbie as I am with my 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk at 25 yards.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:18:03 PM by 2bfree »

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
I look at the purpose the gun is to serve for me. Then I hold myself to a standard based on that premise.
If I can not perform to a level of satisfaction based on those parameters I will not use that gun.
When I can consistently perform I use the gun.

My carry guns I expect proficiency to 7 yards
my guns I compete with I move it out to 25 yards

my guns for fun about 15 yard. In my case if I were only to allow myself to use at a distance what I was proficient with all my guns I would only shoot 7 yards.
I couldn't compete or play shooting games.

I would not expect to pound a nail in as fast with every hammer I own but I will own different hammers for different jobs. my gun is my tool.

RCG
........Its that you shoot!

Offline Joe L

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
If I am very careful with the trigger and sight alignment, I can shoot a good group at 25 yards with a 3" subcompact like a Kahr PM-40.  I've always shot the pistol pretty well, but it is because I practiced a lot with the long travel striker trigger and it is exceptionally smooth and controllable.  I probably could not shoot any other subcompact as well.  The short sight radius makes shooting the little guns a challenge at 25 yards.  I don't worry about it.  If I can hit a 7" plate at 7-10 yards very quickly multiple times with the subcompact, I'm happy.  I'm not going to shoot a bullseye match with a 3" barrel gun.  And I probably won't be carrying a 4"+ gun when I need to shoot something a few yards away, either. 

But, I wouldn't carry a gun that I couldn't shoot less than 6" groups with at 25 yards from a rest, as it isn't repeatable enough for me--for whatever reason--compared to a "good" for me subcompact like the little Kahrs.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline bang bang

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
expectations are one thing, but knowing what you gun can do is another.  If youre cow shoots shotgun patterns, then dont expect much, but do you?

why compare yourself unless you know what youre up against?

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
I practice quite a bit. I hold myself and my guns to the same accuracy standards. I force myself to be just as accurate with my J frames as I'am with my larger guns.

It sure sounds like you need a bunch more practice with your target guns!!!  Perhaps set the bar higher for them? :o

Offline dominic135

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:25:39 AM »
My first sub compact was a Kahr CM4043. Didn't know much about guns and wanted a pocket gun. Big mistake! I had to put extended mags in just to fit 2 full fingers on the grip. .40 caliber when you can't even get a grip was pure hell! Lost big on that one when I sold it. Everyone called it a boat anchor... beautifully made, but useless to anyone with a big hand!
Just bought the shield 9mm myself. Have about 450 rds. down range. I was practicing as if it was my CZ75b and was very frustrated with the accuracy but you have to realize a 3" barrel is not going to match any full size gun, let alone a CZ! I can keep them in the silhouette at 25 yards but that is not what it's made for. At 5 to 7 yds. it is pretty accurate once you get used to the trigger. Today I decided to forget bulls eyes. Today I repeatedly shot 2 to the torso and one to the head. In that exercise it's actually faster than my full size guns and darn near as accurate. That's saying a lot for a mid $200 pistol that weighs in at 1.5 lbs... loaded!
I have a hard time thinking of it as a sub-compact. It hides well, and with a Hogue grip sleeve it fills my hand securely.
when you compare it to the job it's made to do, it is a very impressive piece!

Offline dondavis3

• YourCorvette.com
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
I'm not as accurate with my sub compacts as I am with my 5" competition guns - but I don't think I should be

The comp guns are "special" use guns with all sorts of aftermarket tuning

JMHO
CZ 75 Compact Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 85 Combat Satin Nickel 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI P  9mm
CZ 75 P-07 Duty
CZ 75 P-09 Duty
CZ P-10 C

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:19 AM »
I hit Thugly at 100 yards with Mrs Armordman's RAMi Black Diamond once...I refused to try again, because I knew I'd set the bar too high. ;)
Those Shield pistols are getting so insanely cheap I'm even considering one!

Offline Lbj1891

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 03:55:32 AM »
Well, Ive practiced quite about since the original post. Ive become much more competent in regards to not only marksmanship, but also in the steps leading up to firing.

We found that most of my bad shooting was due to poor finger placement on the trigger. Once I found the way to pull straight back, my groups out to 7 yards were  indistinguishable between the 75b and the little subcompact.

Also! Please be careful and inspect all ammo you shoot. I loaded my mag with a round that was completely caved in on one side! Luckily, it was the last round to be loaded and when i went to slap the mag in i saw it in the light. I believe it would have ended very badly for me.

Offline Ozarkmac

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »
To each his own standards but for me, I don't set the same standard for sub/compacts as I do for a full-size, at least not at the same distances.
I started out buying mostly compacts before I realized just how under-performing they were compared to full-size, at least for my capabilities.
I have too many compacts now (if that's possible) that don't get any range time. I only purchase full-size pistols and revolvers now. The longer the barrel, the more accurate and less recoil in my opinion. Bottom line, more fun to shoot.
In fact, I have been on a old semi-auto craze for about two years and haven't been interested in new pistols at all.
The only newer pistol I'm looking for now is one of the discontinued CZ 1911A1's that I missed out on.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »
I hit Thugly at 100 yards with Mrs Armordman's RAMi Black Diamond once...I refused to try again, because I knew I'd set the bar too high. ;)
Those Shield pistols are getting so insanely cheap I'm even considering one!

You have to start the camera before the impossible shots.  If you are not successful, you have to delete the files off the camera before leaving the range so that the Russians can't intercept the file off your computer and destroy your reputation in the pistol world.   How do you say Thugly in Russian?

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 10:14:19 AM »
I have a SA XDS in 9mm and I carry it, shoot it often and can shoot it just about as well as my larger guns.

I bought a Glock 43 and really struggled to be as accurate with it. I saw guys at the indoor GSSF matches shooting 250/250 with their G42/G43 so I knew it was possible.

I finally worked with it enough to get good accuracy but it was critical to get proper grip and finger placement every time and I had a problem with that and finally let someone else own it.

I had a 3" Kimber .45 that would stand up against a full sized .45 if I did my part, so depending on thew gun and your willingness to master it, most of the subs are capable of good accuracy.