Author Topic: Original CZ-75  (Read 2952 times)

Offline AndyC

Original CZ-75
« on: June 15, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
I love CZ75s - I learned on one as a kid (when my dad bought an original flat-sided model in South Africa in 1977), competed with them in IPSC, steel and pin-shoots, carried one on duty when I worked armed-response and later in executive-protection details.

I never thought I'd see one of those early models again, much less own one - until a friend popped up a few days ago and offered this 1978 model (5-digit serial-number, no import markings) to me:

The original waffle-style grips are shot, so he replaced them with later ones - I have a waffle-set on the way.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq

Offline Psyop96

Re: Original CZ-75
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »
What a friend! What kind of finish is on it?

Offline AndyC

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
I'm not exactly sure yet - I got home late last night with it, I was tired and the lighting was bad, but it seemed to be like a cross between bluing and parkerizing. It's either a pretty smooth park or an unpolished blue, but I'll take a close-up photo later on.

Offline nonamehavei

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
I love CZ75s - I learned on one as a kid (when my dad bought an original flat-sided model in South Africa in 1977), competed with them in IPSC, steel and pin-shoots, carried one on duty when I worked armed-response and later in executive-protection details.

I never thought I'd see one of those early models again, much less own one - until a friend popped up a few days ago and offered this 1978 model (5-digit serial-number, no import markings) to me:

The original waffle-style grips are shot, so he replaced them with later ones - I have a waffle-set on the way.
Like!!!!
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »
Awesome!  Congrats.  Let us know how it shoots.

Offline Toney56

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
Great looking CZ! I too would like find an early CZ. You just don't see them for sale very often.

Offline AndyC

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 06:19:08 PM »
Well, the original barrel is sadly hosed - it still looks like a sewer-pipe after days of scrubbing with various compounds, including copper-remover:

A new barrel has been ordered and I'll just stash the original barrel away in the safe; finally got notification that the repro waffle-grips are en-route.

Offline krehmkej

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
Repro waffle grips?
Please tell me more!
-jwk-

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 07:55:15 PM »
Very very Nice!!!  8)  Congratulations!  :)

Finish is probably not original and looks to be either Flat Blue (Black Oxide) or Black Parkerize.

My Armscor/RIA/Tanfoglio Cz Clones came in flat Black Parkerize and I really like that finish.

Armscore/Tanfoglio MAP1 Full Size and Mid Size 9mm Pistols with Pachmayr Cz75 Grips and Mec-Gar AFC Cz75 17 round Magazines
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Psyop96

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »
That's a pity about the barrel. In the photo, the safety appears to have the "plum" bluing seen on some early 80's manufacture when compared to the look of the slide stop. As mentioned in another thread on old style slide stops, I use a new version on these older pistols when shooting them to preserve the original one.

Offline zmr

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
That's a pity about the barrel. In the photo, the safety appears to have the "plum" bluing seen on some early 80's manufacture when compared to the look of the slide stop. As mentioned in another thread on old style slide stops, I use a new version on these older pistols when shooting them to preserve the original one.

I picked up one of these last week for my pre-b.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420008030_Slide-Stop-75-Cold-War

Offline AndyC

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
Repro waffle grips?
Please tell me more!
Certainly: https://vintagegungrips.com/?s=cz+75

:)

I picked up one of these last week for my pre-b.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420008030_Slide-Stop-75-Cold-War
Thank you, guys - I'll look into that as well. Interestingly, the only part that I remember breaking as a kid on my dad's CZ was the front-sight flying off; I guess that's why they roll-pinned the B's.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:48:01 AM by AndyC »

Offline AndyC

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
Repro grips arrived today - they look pretty good and fit perfectly:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:04:11 PM by AndyC »

Offline Meechy7648

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »
Those are perfect for that pistol!  Congrats!

Offline GAPATRIOT

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »
VERY neat!!!

anything