Author Topic: New CZ 97B. First impressions. And question about creep  (Read 1769 times)

Offline 8strings8rounds

New CZ 97B. First impressions. And question about creep
« on: June 16, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
Took the 97B out for the first time last night.
My first few shots were high and to the left +2 or so at 15yards, but I must have adjusted because the next 150 rounds were dead-nut.
Here's my quick pros/cons.

Pros:
Very comfortable, could be a little wider for my hands, but nice for a "double stack"
Very soft shooting. Right on par with my Para double stack, most likely due to weight. The CZ may even be a tad better.
I like the higher slide on this- comes to my eye naturally.
10+1 feels right for .45acp
Absolutely not a single hiccup while cycling.

Cons:
Trigger is crap out of the box. Absolutely horrendous. I don't even mean in comparison to 1911s, just terrible.
Very heavy and clunky and the 2 miles of reset followed by a mile of creep has got to go.
Upon cleaning the gun, I found bits of the cheap plastic guide rod all over-I am going to attribute this to the spring rotating during cycle.
I did read about other owners having issues with the barrel bushing loosening, but I have not experienced that, yet.

Overall, though I have an issue with the trigger, the gun is built solid enough, has features nice enough and functions so well that I would buy it again. That being said, I have ordered a stainless rod and I plan on stripping and polishing the action and tuning this thing to my liking.

Now, as far as the creep on this thing. I have read multiple threads discussing shortening the hammer hooks, and why NOT to do it.
However, I have come up with two different solutions after studying the mechanics.
I read that there was a timing thing that had to be considered as the biggest reason for not modifying the hammer hooks. Basically, shortening the hooks results in the hammer dropping before the block is fully disengaged.. The simplest remedy would be to just get rid of the firing pin block.. NOT going to do that..
The first thing I noticed about the FPB lifter arm is that it's separate from the sear.. So, here's my theory. Bear with me.
Let's put the case hardening argument aside for a minute, as this is a theory based solely on the mechanism.
Let's say I make the hammer hooks shorter (without changing angle) the hammer drops before the FPB is depressed, yes? Well, what if I also shortened the leg on the sear that engages the trigger bar? The leg for the FPB remains the same. The felt take-up will increase slightly, but done carefully, the trigger bar will still lift the firing pin block the same amount and engage the sear when it needs to.

This is my working theory..  Does this make sense?

Offline Peacetilence

• CZ 75B, PCR, 97BD and Scorpion EVO3. Fun :)
Re: New CZ 97B. First impressions. And question about creep
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
I installed the (97BD equivalent) CGW Pro Package before firing my 1st round, highly recommended ! If you don't need the reach reduction, the CGW Defensive Carry Package comes at lower cost and will take care of your trigger "cons".

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »
The best tool to use on a CZ 97B hammer hook is a credit card. Get the Pro-Package or for the ultimate single action that will rival even your 1911's, go SAO and dump the disco and the firing pin block. Install the straight,fully adjustable SAO trigger, the wide sear or the sear spacer and you will be in trigger snob Heaven.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 04:28:55 PM »
NEVER, ever, ever shorten the hooks on a CZ hammer.  Just get an aftermarket hammer from CZCustom or CGW.  They are different geometry and will work right off the bat.  Shortening the hooks on a CZ hammer will wear through the hardening and leave you with soft hooks that won't last long.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 09:03:05 PM »
Trigger creep can eazily be fixed with the upgraded parts mentioned in the reply's above.  I use the rubber grips to fatten up the hand hold.  It will become your favorite .45.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
Mine is converted to SAO with a flat trigger and CGW hammer. It never fails to put a smile on the face of 1911 guys, or anyone else that shoots it. You'll have a hard time finding a regular on this forum that recommends anything other than replacing the hammer with either CGW or CZC parts. I also have the oem rubber grips on mine for a little extra width. The oem aluminum grips are much prettier to look at though.

Offline 8strings8rounds

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »
Thanks guys.
My clones have all been converted to SA (Hunter10mm came SA) and wanted to try keeping this DA/SA, so I may go with the CGW defensive package. We'll see.
As far as modifying the hooks, it was a theory and if someone said "that might work" I would try it, regardless of case-hardening because I don't like the stock hammer and will be replacing it anyway lol
Also, looking into grip options. Does any site offer model-specific grips for the 97? Or is the 4 or 5 options I've seen all there is?
Thanks again!

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:58:19 PM »
NEVER, ever, ever shorten the hooks on a CZ hammer.  Just get an aftermarket hammer from CZCustom or CGW.  They are different geometry and will work right off the bat.  Shortening the hooks on a CZ hammer will wear through the hardening and leave you with soft hooks that won't last long.
Mine modified hammer on SP-01 lasted about two years and now feels mushy with inconsistent release. CGW race hummer set is already in the mail.

Offline crewdog

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »
Try the CZ USA web store, they have about 2 1/2 pages of grips that fit the 97.
Howdy, Where's the beer!!

Offline 8strings8rounds

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
Try the CZ USA web store, they have about 2 1/2 pages of grips that fit the 97.
Thanks. Prices are more reasonable than I anticipated, as well

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk