Author Topic: Quick question regarding CGW ring hammer  (Read 761 times)

Offline Siliconian

Quick question regarding CGW ring hammer
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
The manual safety one. Does it have to work with an adjustable sear?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPO1SHADOW

Re: Quick question regarding CGW ring hammer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 06:48:44 PM »
No, but you will most likely need to fit the safety bump to the sear if you don't go adjustable. If you don't mind a little hand fitting it's no problem. The ring hammer changes the geometry just like the rest of them so if you want to be able to engage the safety it will probably need a little fitting. If you never use the safety like me, don't worry about it, the gun will still function just fine just no manual safety.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:54:07 PM by SPO1SHADOW »

Offline Siliconian

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
No, but you will most likely need to fit the safety bump to the sear if you don't go adjustable. If you don't mind a little hand fitting it's no problem. The ring hammer changes the geometry just like the rest of them so if you want to be able to engage the safety it will probably need a little fitting. If you never use the safety like me, don't worry about it, the gun will still function just fine just no manual safety.
Thanks. It looks like I have to buy their adjustable sear since my safety, hammer, trigger all got stuck after the hammer was installed.
How about the decocker version ring hammer? The website says OEM sear is good enough to work with it.

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
Thanks. It looks like I have to buy their adjustable sear since my safety, hammer, trigger all got stuck after the hammer was installed.
How about the decocker version ring hammer? The website says OEM sear is good enough to work with it.

Decocker version will work with the OEM sear.....never had an issue, have replaced many  ;)  Safety versions are pretty touchy....decockers are essentially self adjusting due to the nature of how they function.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:50:05 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline schmeky

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »
Siliconian,

What you have encountered is one reason why the CZ was not favored for home gunsmithing, or even by gunsmiths for that matter.  You can make your OEM sear work, just has to be fitted.  We describe this phenomenon in the Adjustable Sears Product Description:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/as-b/

Offline Siliconian

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
Siliconian,

What you have encountered is one reason why the CZ was not favored for home gunsmithing, or even by gunsmiths for that matter.  You can make your OEM sear work, just has to be fitted.  We describe this phenomenon in the Adjustable Sears Product Description:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/as-b/
Do you mind posting an instruction on how to fit the sear to make the ring hammer work? I happen to have an extra OEM sear to play with. Thanks.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 12:48:21 AM »
I haven't done it but:
Fit the pad of the safety to sear is the norm due to the cost of a mistake.  The safety is less expensive.  The opposite can be done with your spare sear.  Taking off a little metal at a time at the contact point , reassembling, testing and repeat until the safety works properly.
Can someone (M1A?) correct or elaborate with more details?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:34 AM »
There's a video in here on fitting the sear for competition and race hammers. Same principle applies.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85985.0
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline Siliconian

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »
I over polished sear to safety contact pad to the point that no click is heard when safety is enabled, but the hammer still doesn't move.

Offline Siliconian

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »
Figured it out why it didn't work. I forgot to loose over travel. After I did that, it worked. But the sear was over fitted. Safety now works no matter the hammer is cocked or not. SA pull is at 2.5# now.

Offline Siliconian

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »
Finally got the chance to run it in range. 120 rounds without a problem. However, 2.5# trigger pull is a little too light for me, especially after shooting other guns.

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
Finally got the chance to run it in range. 120 rounds without a problem. However, 2.5# trigger pull is a little too light for me, especially after shooting other guns. I over polished sear to safety contact pad to the point that no click is heard when safety is enabled, but the hammer still doesn't move.

This is normal. As long as the hammer does not move you have fitted it correctly. Only use the safety with the hammer fully cocked. If you are using the Reduced power trigger return spring you can switch back to the OEM and add some weight. You can also tweak the return spring to make the single action pull heavier.

anything