Author Topic: Terminology!  (Read 441 times)

Offline dominic135

Terminology!
« on: June 17, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
I recently replied to a question on the 9mm shooter's facebook site. I guess I opened a can of whoop-ass on myself! I used the term "Clip" a number of times and by the time I finished typing, I had 4 or 5 replies correcting my terminology. (I guess they can see the comment as you are typing) I often use the term MAGAZINE, but for some reason the shortened MAG just doesn't appeal to me. I am a Nam Era Navy vet trained on 1911's and Thompsons. On board ship, the Magazine is where gun powder and ammo is kept, and the clip is what you insert in your gun. At 65, I may be a bit touched by "Old Timers" but I don't recall John Wayne calling it a Magazine either? By the end of the day, there were over one hundred responses either correcting me or telling people to lay off the old man and get him a wine cooler! I've always used both terms, clip and magazine inter-changeably and have never been corrected. Because I don't ever say MAG in my speech, when writing, I usually write Clip instead of writing the full "Magazine"!   
So... is my mind failing me, or did we once call them "clips"? Or is it one of those Navy terms like "just another working squid" that no one else knows?

Offline Jericho Hill

Re: Terminology!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
On land clip references a stripper clip.  That is a thin piece of metal that holds five or ten rounds so they can be loaded quicker.  I will post a picture of some  I don't have any handy right now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:37:16 PM by Jericho Hill »

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • Fascinating
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:48:25 PM »
A magazine contains rounds.

A clip holds rounds together
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Terminology!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »
   Just meant as a joke.

If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Tenbones

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 10:28:31 PM »
Grendel is correct.  Yet I call those things that contain .22 rounds clips and as the cartridges become bigger those things then become magazines or mags.  The odd-ball in this  clip terminology is the one for the M1 Garand as it both holds and contain the rounds. 

Personally dominic, you can call them what you want.  I think there are much more serious things to worry about in this day and age than whether we call it a mag or a clip. :)

Offline dominic135

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah! I got the education on the facebook encounter. As a kid, I loved working with my Uncle on his guns. He bought and sold as a hobby. He was a GI during WWII. A millwright and carpenter that never had a hobby that didn't turn a profit. When he asked me to pass the clip when he'd take me shooting, I knew what he was talking about. Maybe he carried an M1 in service and the term stuck. Still, on board ship, the Magazine was where ammo was stored and we used 30 round clips in the Thompsons, 8 round clips in the 45's. Maybe I watched too many old war movies as a kid!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 12:57:05 AM »
Stripper clip.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 01:22:58 AM »
Stripper clip.

Don't forget Moon Clips!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 03:19:06 AM »
I know Naval Magazines quite well, but I was on the BIG ones like NavMag Subic and NavMag Concord. :) We called them magazines on board ship for the M14s and the 1911s, but that was a few years after you left us, shipmate, that was the mid/late 80s.

Offline WVNed

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »
We have magazines in the bathroom.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 04:26:14 PM »
Magazine may be the "preferred" terminology today but in the early days of semi-auto and automatic weapons CLIP was the proper description for the box that held the rounds.

Offline dominic135

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »
SI VIS PACEM Thank you! The man who taught me about guns was born in 1919 and served in WWII. Now I know I haven't lost my mind!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »
We have magazines in the bathroom.
BATHROOM ? No, it's the Head or Latrine ...  Just sayin'    :o
Clips feed Rounds into a Magazine
A Magazine Hold the Round in a Weapon, ready to be loaded into the Chamber
Or, when it come to things like "Moon Clips", as Grendel said:
A clip holds rounds together
So they can be placed into the Weapon, together
So tell me again how Trump will be worse then the last 8 years !

Offline WVNed

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
Perhaps this would clear things up

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
If you would just use more precise terms like thing -a- ma-Jig, Do-Hicky, and whatcha-ma-callit then people wouldn't make fun of you.
course I guess  you have to have some gunsmith training to be familiar with these terms.
I hear clip used all the time, I know what they are talking about so don't matter to me, although I call a magazine a magazine, I am old enough to remember the M-1 that actually used clips.