Author Topic: Accuracy Issues  (Read 6449 times)

Offline 455shooter

Accuracy Issues
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:30:53 PM »
I have a 455 American that was shooting quarter size groups at 50 yards from a bench resting on my shooting bag, using cheap Federal ammo. I put a bipod on it and started shooting CCI Mini Mags, but now I can't hold any kind of a group. Even after going back to the cheep ammo that was grouping OK, I still can't seem to get decent groups. That leads me to believe the issue is somehow related to the bipod (it's the type that attaches to the sling stud). Has anyone had a similar experience or have any suggestions?
I'm breaking in to CZ with a 455 American. It might be my first CZ, but it won't be my last.

Offline luisrojasf

Re: Accuracy Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:44:31 PM »
CCI MiniMag (HiperVelocity) aren't accurate than the high or standard velocity. The same it's when you use ?guila Supermaximun (HiperVelocity) and super extra (high velocity).......... If you returns the first ammo, should be accurate like before.. I think bipod isn't the problem.. but...  I have no idea where the issue can be..

Enviado desde mi XT1095 mediante Tapatalk

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:27:37 PM »
Are you using a scope? A loose screw has drove me nuts more than once.

I take bipods off and on all the time never run into issues, but there is always a first time. Shoot a few groups without it and see what's up.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline viking499

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:07:32 AM »
Did you take the bipod off and go back to the bag rest when using the Federal ammo again?

Offline Ogyibf06

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 03:28:52 AM »
Second on the scope, happen to me once.

Offline 455shooter

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
Are you using a scope? A loose screw has drove me nuts more than once.

I take bipods off and on all the time never run into issues, but there is always a first time. Shoot a few groups without it and see what's up.
I am using a Cabela's .22 BDC scope. I did verify that all of the screw's were tight (I learned that lesson during deer season many years ago).

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

I'm breaking in to CZ with a 455 American. It might be my first CZ, but it won't be my last.

Offline 455shooter

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »
Did you take the bipod off and go back to the bag rest when using the Federal ammo again?
I did not do that yet. That will be my next move.

Offline 455shooter

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »
CCI MiniMag (HiperVelocity) aren't accurate than the high or standard velocity. The same it's when you use ?guila Supermaximun (HiperVelocity) and super extra (high velocity).......... If you returns the first ammo, should be accurate like before.. I think bipod isn't the problem.. but...  I have no idea where the issue can be..

The CCI Mini Mags are rated at 1260 FPS at the muzzle. This high velocity ammo runs at about the same speed as the Federals that I was using, so I expected similar results. I'll try removing the bipod and get back to where I was and hopefully the accuracy well return.

Offline luisrojasf

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »

The CCI Mini Mags are rated at 1260 FPS at the muzzle. This high velocity ammo runs at about the same speed as the Federals that I was using, so I expected similar results. I'll try removing the bipod and get back to where I was and hopefully the accuracy well return.

Sorry, you are correct.... I was talking about the CCI stinger..

Offline ethangsmith

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
Check to make sure your barrel is still free floated. The action is known to be wiggly in the 455 guns. If you were messing with the stock, you could now have it in a position the gun doesn't like and it's either loose or has the barrel wedged against the stock. Run a dollar bill from the front of the stock back to the receiver. It shouldn't hang on anything or get tight. Also make sure your receiver/action does not move in the stock.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:23:08 PM by ethangsmith »
Czech it out!

Offline 455shooter

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Check to make sure your barrel is still free floated. The action is known to be wiggly in the 455 guns. If you were messing with the stock, you could now have it in a position the gun doesn't like and it's either loose or has the barrel wedged against the stock. Run a dollar bill from the front of the stock back to the receiver. It shouldn't hang on anything or get tight. Also make sure your receiver/action does not move in the stock.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

Offline 455shooter

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 09:39:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

Well, I think the issue has been resolved. I did run a dollar under the barrel, and although it slid through, it seemed a little more snug than it should have. I loosened the bipod a little and it appeared that I could slid the bill through a little more smoothly. I then snugged up the bipod just enough and then went to the range. The accuracy came back!!! I can't really explain how the bipod being overly tight would cause the issue, but apparently it did.

Thank you all for your input! Stay safe and happy shooting!

Offline Joe L

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
Glad you found it.  That one is a little strange, but it sounds like you just barely had enough clearance without the bipod and lost it with it.  If it goes South on you again, remove some of the stock material in the area where the bill is tight. No need for it to be tight.  This will keep the problem from showing up unexpectedly in the future should the stock take a set in the wrong direction. 

Nothing surprises me about small details affecting accuracy in a .22 rifle.  They are very demanding.  More than a centerfire in my opinion.  Pistols are easier.   :) :)

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline 455shooter

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
Glad you found it.  That one is a little strange, but it sounds like you just barely had enough clearance without the bipod and lost it with it.  If it goes South on you again, remove some of the stock material in the area where the bill is tight. No need for it to be tight.  This will keep the problem from showing up unexpectedly in the future should the stock take a set in the wrong direction. 

Nothing surprises me about small details affecting accuracy in a .22 rifle.  They are very demanding.  More than a centerfire in my opinion.  Pistols are easier.   :) :)

Joe
I will take that under advisement. What I find perplexing, is that the bipod attaches to the sling stud which does not contact the barrel. But like you stated, if I have some of the stock under the barrel removed, it would create the necessary "cushion" needed.

Thanks for the input, Joe!

Offline ethangsmith

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 11:05:31 PM »
Rifle harmonics are a weird thing. The bipod must've distorted the stock by just a few hundredths or thousandths of an inch and messed up the synergy of everything. Strange things happen!
Czech it out!