Author Topic: Three dot sights and older eyes?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline David0408

Re: Three dot sights and older eyes?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Makes sense to me.

Offline WVNed

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »
Today I took my SIG 320rx and P-09 with Vortex Venom on a Springer Precision mount to the range.

This is the future and it is awesome.
No glasses and  tilting my head just right. It was the most fun I have had with a pistol since the eyes went.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:21:53 PM by WVNed »
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline Vinny

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
Today I took my SIG 320rx and P-09 with Vortex Venom on a Springer Precision mount to the range.

This is the future and it is awesome.
No glasses and  tilting my head just right. It was the most fun I have had with a pistol since the eyes went.

Yeah, That's what I've discovered too. Red Dot Reflex sights are the future. No corrective lenses required. Just look through the reflex with both eyes open and put the red dot on your target. Bingo!
The closer (lower) you can get the reflex to the slide the better. That's why milling the slide has become popular, especially for Defensive shooting so the red dot will appear at natural point of aim; and you eliminate the parallax effect. But even without milling, it's a huge improvement IMHO.
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline handig00

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »
Lots of good information there !

Im 60 and wear progressives for last 10 years, it can get frustrating at times now for sure.

The merits are great, I started using them in the mid 80's in silhouette shooting. I would never shoot a match without one. They really work great.
You can see how they work by just a little experiment if your not familiar with them. Just hold up your empty pistol with strong hand and look out at a target, then with weak  hand roll your index finger into your thumb and hold up to your strong eye look through the tiniest little hole /gap that you can see though , look at your sights / target.
Then open your finger and see the difference, go back and forth a few times,  the merit has adjustable hole diameter by just turning the knob.
You can do same experiment without a gun, just hold your finger up at arms length , look through the other hand peep hole at your eye, look at the image of outstretched finger against target distance object.
Adjust the "peep hole" at your eye, the smaller it becomes the more bolder both distant items become into focus.

Please excuse if you already know all this, just an attempt to explain the merit eyepiece.

I put a SDM gold bead front sight on my 1911, then on rear put a 10:8 rear with a wide notch. Its not for bullseye shooting, but I shoot alot of steel target shooting, and that gold bead works fantastic.

Good luck

Online Rmach

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
My second outing with the Henry .357 that has the barrel mounted peep sight.  Same as before wearing progresses glasses with a standing hold, but from 33yds instead of 25. This was outside at a friends house in the country. I wish I could try 75yds, but his yard isn't cleared enough to mount a target at that distance. I guess I can live with the results.

Matte stainless CZ75b, CZ P-01, black CZ75b, CZ SP-01, Grand Power Xcalibur, Tristar C-100, P-100

Offline Cesar

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »
I too have very high prescription and require progressive lenses.
For shooting, I use single vision glasses with dominant eye lens set for 28" - the distance to front sight while the other eye has lens dialed in for 20m range (distance).
I also had them move center of the lenses in frame up to the position where I get most clear 'picture' while shooting with head tilted down.

That and a new barrel in my Shadow (old one had over 60K rounds thru it) makes huge difference in accuracy and speed  :)

anything