Author Topic: PCR vs P01 - any difference internally, any difference in reliability?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline ncrockclimb

I am trying to decide between these two.  I am trying to determine if the PCR and the P01 are basically the same gun with a few cosmetic external differences OR if they there is a substantial difference between the two models. The NATO tests that the p01 has passed make it attractive from a long term reliability standpoint, but I prefer the thinner profile and lack of rail on the PCR.

I have ove 10,000 rounds through my CZ 75 BD, and I LOVE this gun.  I would like to train with a compact version of the gun i use in local matches, but want to make sure that I am getting the most reliable and durable compact that CZ has to offer.

thank for your help!!

Offline Tok36

Welcome to the forums.

In short, i believe that you are correct in your assumption that the two models are very similar. Below are the differences.

PCR vs P-01
CZ75 D (PCR): - Short dustcover, aluminum frame, decocker
                       - LCI,
                       - No snag rear sight (Unique rear sight cut, Note: PCR specific sights are now available from the custom shops)
                       - CZ75 style slide release (shorter, similar to the CZ75 slide release but not the same)
                       - Serrated Trigger (standard trigger profile w/ serrations unique to the PCR)
                       - Standard slide release hole

CZP-01: - Full length dustcover aluminum frame w/ tac rail, decocker
                         - Standard CZ rear sight (Standard rear sight cut)
                         - SP-01 Style Slide release (longer, similar to the SP-01 slide release but not the same)
                         - Black recurve trigger (same as the stock SP-01/97BD trigger)
                         - Recessed slide release hole

Both of the above models come with rubber grips, grip frame serrations, Ambi (swappable) mag releases, left side only decocking levers and lanyard loop main spring plugs.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:43:00 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline PnoyGeek

The NATO tests that the p01 has passed make it attractive from a long term reliability standpoint, but I prefer the thinner profile and lack of rail on the PCR.

There is a misconception that NATO actually performed testing on the P-01.  NATO is a mutual political and defense agreement between several countries.   NATO does not have or maintains its own military force.  What is referred to as NATO forces are actually made up of different units contributed temporarily from a member countries' own military.

People like to point out the NATO Stock Number (NSN) as proof of the NATO testing.  The NSN identifying all the 'standardized material items of supply' as they have been recognized by all NATO countries which basically means everything NATO use has a NSN.

People like to quote the CZ-USA website as proof of NATO testing.  The only testing referred there were done by the Czech National Police.  It might have stated the U.S. Army “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF) requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols and during testing it passed this requirement but which testing.  I do not recall the U.S. Army testing any CZ firearms.

What most likely happened is that the Czech Republic tested and adopted the P-01 for its own military.  When the Czech Republic joined NATO, the P-01 got the NSN since it met NATO requirement for its 9mm sidearm.

With that said,  the PCR and P-01 are basically just 75B compact.  One with a rail and another without a rail.  There is also the difference in the slide stop, rear sight and trigger.  In my opinion the PCR is more suited to CCW than the P-01.  The P-01 is more like your 75BD but smaller and with the addition of the rail. But both are equally reliable.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:36:53 AM by PnoyGeek »

Offline viking499

When comparing, I put the PCR and the BD in one group and the P-01 and SP-01 in another group.  The PCR and the P-01 are similar to their bigger brothers, just smaller and lighter.

Offline Rurallife

So, what about those triggers then? The PCR has a "silver", and the P-01 has a black one. And some PCR's are shipping with the black trigger as well. What's the difference between the two?

Offline PnoyGeek

So, what about those triggers then? The PCR has a "silver", and the P-01 has a black one. And some PCR's are shipping with the black trigger as well. What's the difference between the two?

The PCR normally cones with a silver serrated trigger.  Most of the time the PCR with the black trigger I have noticed are the version with the 10-round magazines intended for sale to states with magazine restrictions.  Also PCR with 14-round magazine have a steel base plate while the 10-round magazine has a larger plastic base and a shorter magazine tube.

Offline Psyop96

PCR vs P01 - any difference internally, any difference in reliability?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
The black trigger is the so-called "recurve" trigger and is intended to provide shorter reach without changing anything else.  https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-by-model/cz-p01/cz-75-recurve-trigger-05a.html. The serrated trigger supposedly provides more finger "grip" under certain conditions for a service pistol. And, as customary with CZ, you'll find the same model shipping with different triggers

Offline viking499

I prefer the P-01 trigger to the PCR trigger because I do not like the serrations.  But, I prefer the 85 trigger to both of them.

Offline ncrockclimb

Thanks for all the great info.  Now, where to find a P01...

Offline TruckinThumper

Thanks for all the great info.  Now, where to find a P01...

How about a P-02?  O0

Offline Rurallife

Thanks for the trigger info! Glad mine came with the silver. However, I've seen many write that the 85 is the bomb.

Offline Morbid1X

[/quote]

With that said,  the PCR and P-01 are basically just 75B compact.  One with a rail and another without a rail.  There is also the difference in the slide stop, rear sight and trigger.  In my opinion the PCR is more suited to CCW than the P-01.  The P-01 is more like your 75BD but smaller and with the addition of the rail. But both are equally reliable.
[/quote]

Almost but not quite. The p01 and pcr do not have a steel frame like the 75b compact. It's alloy, p01 also has a recessed slide stop hole on right side, also have different slides stops and slightly different length barrels. Pcr also as a different frame than 75 compact,  bevel on dust cover is much cleaner looking. Pcr also has texturing on front and rear strap.

Offline KME

When comparing, I put the PCR and the BD in one group and the P-01 and SP-01 in another group.  The PCR and the P-01 are similar to their bigger brothers, just smaller and lighter.

+1, with one important difference, the SP-01 has a manual safety and the other three have decockers and no manual safety.

Offline viking499

+1, with one important difference, the SP-01 has a manual safety and the other three have decockers and no manual safety.

You can get the SP-01 with a safety or decocker.  For this discussion, I am talking about the decocker version.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:42:28 AM by viking499 »

Offline KME

You can get the SP-01 with a safety or decocker.  For this discussion, I am talking about the decocker version.

Alas, we cannot get the SP-01 Tactical (decocker version, SKU 01153) in the Golden State. Just as we cannot buy the 97 BD. So I have two CZs with safeties, my SP-01 and my 97 B. Hardly second class citizens but I would have preferred uniformity of operation in my CZs.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:09:20 AM by KME »

anything