Author Topic: BTA-90 mag drops during firing  (Read 2871 times)

Offline KneverKnew

BTA-90 mag drops during firing
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:33:52 PM »
Do I order EAA Witness parts? I think the mag catch is worn. Also, which mags should I order?

Or could the mag catch spring be the problem too?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: BTA-90 mag drops during firing
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
I agree that the Magazine Latch looks worn.  Although the BTA-90 pictured appears to be a pre-series 88 version, it is possible that the current more self contained Magazine Release could be substituted, but you would have to remove the current Magazine Latch Spring.  Also, a Cz75 Magazine Latch could work with the current Mag Latch Spring.

Sorry I can't be more definite, but I've not really had to deal with this particular issue before.  Can't advise you on Magazines either, as my personal BTA90 is a Series 88 version, and the parts tend to be different.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline KneverKnew

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
Please advise how you determined this is a pre 88 series pistol?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:31:32 AM »
Please advise how you determined this is a pre 88 series pistol?

Your Pistol is scalloped on the front of the Frame and the muzzle end of the Slide as is typically done on the Pre-Series 88 Tanfoglio Pistols, and the shape of the Hammer has the skinny Pre-Series 88 Spur.  Front Sight is dovetailed in, instead of being molded into the Slide.  That said, there is the possibility that your Pistol is an early Series 88 Transitional Model, but with all of the features noted, very doubtful on that. Your Pistol does have the early mold pattern Rubber Grips, present on most Series 88 Pistols, making it a late production Pre-Series 88, but they may not be original to the Pistol.

You can compare your Pistol to my Series 88 BTA90, pictured below.

Compact Series 88 Tanfoglio TA90 9mm - Magazine Capacity 13 rounds. Very Accurate and Reliable.
Will also use Compact small frame 13 round Witness Magazines.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline KneverKnew

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
I appreciate the short lesson.
So for my pistol I should be good if I order a standard CZ75 mag release? Arch and it will fit properly and function with existing mag catch release spring? The other release you mention, for a current TA-90, might work but has spring built into it requiring removal of existing wishbone spring. Is that correct? I lean towards getting the CZ-75 release to keep gun in original configuration as much as possible. Any suggestions on best source for the needed parts? Thanks again.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
So for my pistol I should be good if I order a standard CZ75 mag release? Arch and it will fit properly and function with existing mag catch release spring?

That is what I would do for it, were I to try to keep it mostly original.  Some minor fitting may be involved.

The other release you mention, for a current TA-90, might work but has spring built into it requiring removal of existing wishbone spring. Is that correct?

Yes!  The current Witness Magazine Release can be made to work and you can probably get one from EAA or Armscor.  Again, some fitting may be required.

I wish I could give you a solid recommendation on Magazines, but my experience with the older Compacts is considerably limited to my Series 88 BTA90.
I would try a Compact Small Frame Witness 13 round Magazine and hope that since the Compact/Baby models were such a late development, you will have a fit.
Pre-Series 88 and Cz Pre B Magazines can be quite expensive, otherwise.  Consider the Elander Magazines.

Any suggestions on best source for the needed parts?

Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp would be a good source.  There are numerous Gun Parts houses all over.  You might even have luck on ebay.

You are most Welcome and Good Luck to you on your Repair Endeavor!

Offline KneverKnew

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
Ok, so I found this magazine release at CZ Custom. Does this look like one that will work in my BTA-90?
https://czcustom.com/cz-magazine-release-75b-o-style.html

If this isn't the correct one, coiuld you please point me to a site that carries what I need for this pistol?
Thanks.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »
Ok, so I found this magazine release at CZ Custom. Does this look like one that will work in my BTA-90?
https://czcustom.com/cz-magazine-release-75b-o-style.html

If this isn't the correct one, coiuld you please point me to a site that carries what I need for this pistol?
Thanks.

From the Pics you've provided so far...........No idea!

If the parts look similar enough, go for it!  Since I don't have the Pistol and parts in front of me, there's only so much Gunsmithing I can do for you at this point.

Offline KneverKnew

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 08:53:06 AM »
I appreciate your help. The link is to anmagncatch for
A
CZ75 and looks similar to the GTA-90's. I just don't
Want to order the wrong part as this seems s for a friend and it $35 plus shipping. I may have to give it a try anyway.

Offline WiskyT

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
Any non OEM part only has to be off by a few thousandths of an inch to be completely useless.  If finding a replacement is going to run into 100 Dollars or so, and this CZ part is getting close to that, I would look into having a gunsmith repair your current mag catch.  It could be welded up and re-shaped to work, or, possibly, it could just have the worn surface re-cut so that it has a sharp edge.

Offline WiskyT

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 06:11:18 PM »
maybe this works

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/113520B.htm

Maybe, but you would have to see the other side of it to see the grooves for the Spring to really know.

Offline KneverKnew

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »
I'm still not sure if it's the one to get. The CZ-75 mag catch I've seen doesn't have the double groove for the wishbone spring legs. And yes, the pictures on some of these sights don't show enough to know if it's the right one.

Offline WiskyT

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 08:38:38 PM »
maybe this works

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/113520B.htm

Maybe, but you would have to see the other side of it to see the grooves for the Spring to really know.

While this is a long way from definitive, the same parts listing from GPC, shows a V shaped mag catch spring.  Maybe a call to GPC would help out.  They may be able to give more info than can be seen in their drawing, maybe they could even email a photo of the part after they pull it from stock.

Offline KneverKnew

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
This is turning into the Never Ending Story. I called Numrich and they couldn't help me. They basically said go to a local gunsmith and they could tell me exactly what model would interchange with this one. Yeah right! They obviously haven't met our local gunsmiths around here.
So, I've been told I could use an EAA Witness part, but that doesn't work. I've been told I could use a CZ75 part, but Numrich is sold out, otherwise I would order one and try. They even take returns with full refund if it didn't work. If I order the $35 part from another source I would be stuck with it if it didn't work.

So, can someone give me a well educated suggestion...again....of what model pistol's mag catch might work with this V/ wishbone spring style mag catch on my BTA-90 "pre-88 Series" subcompact. Can someone verify this BTA-90 is actually a subcompact and not a compact?

anything