Author Topic: confidence a bit shaken in CZ  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Walt R.

confidence a bit shaken in CZ
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »
Hi Guys,

Have been lurking around but not much uninterrupted time to post.
The topic above is what this post is about. As with all of you, CZ is a favored, accurate and purportedly reliable pistol which, fortunately for us, has had it's price/value ratio, fly under the radar until rather recently.

Confidence in it's reliability is KEY for a firearm, particularly in a carry pistol. I have a 75D Compact through which I had shot approximately 400 rounds when the trigger return spring broke. The pistol was under warranty and was repaired by CZ Warranty and Repair, so it's back in good working order, but I'd be lying if I said I have the same confidence in this Pistol as a 'bet my life on it' weapon as I did before. I know ---any firearm can and do fail on occasion- even the vaunted reliability of the Glock, but what is particularly troubling is that my CZ had a part break quite early in it's life. I also understand my options, but just wanted to share this failure which was quite disappointing, and hope that in your collective experience, is an extremely rare occurrence.

Best wishes to all.
Walt R.

Offline Dodge807

Re: confidence a bit shaken in CZ
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:13:50 AM »
I completely understand your disappointment, anytime something you own has a problem, the furnace in your house quits, your car, boat or your CZ breaks. it puts that little demon in the back of your mind that says "don't trust it" Now that you have it back, go shoot the living daylights out of it. put 5000 rounds thru it and you will gain your confidence back with CZ. I will only have a CZ as my CCW, this is a firearm I will trust my life with.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
This is THE known issue with the 75 platform.  You are not alone.  Some people have those springs break in the hundreds of rounds, as you did, some of us have had tens of thousands of rounds on the same spring. 

My recommendation is that you grease that spring.  Grease the spring, and have an extra one. ;)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:17:04 AM »
Or get a new one from Cajun Gun Works. They are cheap and last a long long time. This is a known issue and a bummer they haven't put in different springs. Sorry to hear yours went out.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Or get a new one from Cajun Gun Works.

He just got a new one from CZ.  It's the same one he'd get from CGW for $2.  Now, CGW does have a "reduced power" TRS that is supposed to be more durable than the OEM and will drop a half pound off your DA pullweight.  That one is $7, and is definitely worth a look if you have other stuff to order.  Buy a couple of them.

As a general rule, it's a good idea to look at common breakage points for whatever pistols you own, and have a spare parts kits already on hand to address those common breaks.  It's tons more convenient to replace little things yourself.

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
I'm looking to purchase my first CZ very soon. I built my own AR-15 from scratch and have other guns that I've taken apart to clean, etc so I'm somewhat handy and good at learning/following directions. Are there any resources (sites, YouTube channels) anyone can recommend for cleaning/maintaining a CZ 75? I'm looking to get a SP01 Tactical.

Also, what are some other common issues or general things to know about the 75 series?

I'm asking since I'm sure I'd like to upgrade some of the parts mentioned here, but am just nervous as to how to go about doing it.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:41:04 AM by myczaccount »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
Or get a new one from Cajun Gun Works.

He just got a new one from CZ.  It's the same one he'd get from CGW for $2.  Now, CGW does have a "reduced power" TRS that is supposed to be more durable than the OEM and will drop a half pound off your DA pullweight.  That one is $7, and is definitely worth a look if you have other stuff to order.  Buy a couple of them.

As a general rule, it's a good idea to look at common breakage points for whatever pistols you own, and have a spare parts kits already on hand to address those common breaks.  It's tons more convenient to replace little things yourself.
Oops my bad on clarity... I meant the reduced power trigger return spring. Thanks IDescribe for checking me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:04:05 PM »
I'm looking to purchase my first CZ very soon. I built my own AR-15 from scratch and have other guns that I've taken apart to clean, etc so I'm somewhat handy and good at learning/following directions. Are there any resources (sites, YouTube channels) anyone can recommend for cleaning/maintaining a CZ 75? I'm looking to get a SP01 Tactical.

Also, what are some other common issues or general things to know about the 75 series?

I'm asking since I'm sure I'd like to upgrade some of the parts mentioned here, but am just nervous as to how to go about doing it.

Thank you!
Check out the gunsmithing sub forum to start out. There are some stickies that will help get you started. Cleaning and maintaining is pretty easy. Recoil sponges every 5k rounds (according to David at Cajun Gun Works), clean and lube with your choice of quality lubricant. From there the upgrades and take down tutorials are readily available and you can ask any specifics and lots of members will be ready to help.

2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:12:41 PM »

Thank you!
Check out the gunsmithing sub forum to start out. There are some stickies that will help get you started. Cleaning and maintaining is pretty easy. Recoil sponges every 5k rounds (according to David at Cajun Gun Works), clean and lube with your choice of quality lubricant. From there the upgrades and take down tutorials are readily available and you can ask any specifics and lots of members will be ready to help.

Thanks I'll take a look!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »
I take the crappy nylon bore brush that comes with it, keep the head wrapped with a little copper trimmed from a Chore Boy copper scouring bad.  Run that through the bore every 500-1000 rounds, or as needed.  I detail strip and clean it thoroughly every few thousand rounds with non-chlorinated brake-cleaner, then lightly rel-ube with either Frog Lube OR Royal Purple 10W-30.  And repeat.

Your best videos on how to disassemble are probably going to be videos on how to replace parts.  Go to youtube and search for CZ-75 replace main spring or replace trigger return spring, and you're likely to get lots of video that will include the various aspects of disassembly.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
When the trigger return springs break, is it in a coil or one of the "legs".

Just curious.  Some of mine are stock, some are CGW reduced power springs but all of them get a drop of oil every time I field strip/inspect/clean/lube a CZ pistol.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:02:26 PM »
When the trigger return springs break, is it in a coil or one of the "legs".

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
I'm still in the never broke a trs camp here. My compact has north of 6k on the original spring, my 75BD is over 20k on the original spring.PCR,P-07, 97BD no issues many thousands of rounds fired. I admit to being a chronic clean freak with my guns and I don't spare the lube. I don't own a gun that I wouldn't bet my life on but as failures go nothing breaks till it breaks. Maybe the gun goes 50k rnds and never skips a beat then at 50k and 1 it lays down. You just never know.

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »
MY P-01 is past 8000 rounds, my Sp-01 is past 5000 rounds, my  97 is past 2000 rounds, my fairly new Shadow 2 is about a thousand rounds and ZERO-- Nada, no malfunctions of any kind.
Now in the past I have had other brands have malfunction of parts.
 honestly once they get repaired and I run 500 or so rounds through them then I consider the issue resolved myself.
The only problem at all I have had with any CZ is the front tritium sight went dead after 30 months and CZ took care of me and the weapon on that, of course that would not have made any functional difference in the operation of the weapon.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
I don't have original springs in the Phantom or the P-09 as they both went to Cajun Gun Works for the full spa treatment, but I never broke any springs on any CZ. The P-01 has had untold thousands of rounds through it, so many the trigger was polished to glass smooth. Sorry that you had a bad first experience - shoot the SNOT out of the next spring until you feel comfortable again.