Author Topic: Range Ammo Feed Issues in RAMI  (Read 335 times)

Offline C. Andrew Dunning

Range Ammo Feed Issues in RAMI
« on: July 02, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »
For those of you following my questions along these lines in the FB groups, please forgive me.  Just trying to gather as much info as-possible...

I'm having repeated feed malfunctions w. different brands of FMJ range ammo (Magtech 115 & Speer Lawman 124g).  So far, having great luck w. Sellier&Bellot 124g.  My questions:

1)  Do these ammo issues reflect what any of the rest of you have experienced?

2)  If not, might these problems be recoil spring-related?  My RAMI was new when I bought it a couple of months ago and I've put just under 1100 rounds through it and, probably, a few hundred dry-fires using a Laserlyte,

If possible, I'm trying to settle on a single brand both my RAMI and my Jericho like so I can buy in-bulk and don't have to stock multiple brands.  Because of this, I've already discluded Winchester WB.

Zero problem w. any defense ammo I've tried (Hornady and Federal).

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:07:19 PM by Grendel »

Offline Richrit

Re: Range Ammo Feed Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
I really like the S&B in 45acp, have had some issues with the Magtech.

Offline Ruber

Re: Range Ammo Feed Issues in RAMI
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »
Not sure what work you have already had done on your RAMI.  Also not sure what the specific problems are (sorry, have not been on the FB group).

When the recoil springs are shot, brass will be flying across the range.

A new set of springs may very well be warranted, I stick to CZ springs.

I have found that FTFs with specific types of ammo (brands/weights/shapes) often point to something wrong with the gun, something is not smooth... breech face, extractor, ramp, chamber, magazine, etc.  If everything is clean and smooth, it takes very little spring to take a round into battery.

The magtech 115, while not super, is popular and used a lot. It should run just fine.

If the problems just recently showed up, I'd give the gun a good cleaning and replace the recoil springs.  If they have been there from the start, I'd send it to CZ.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
With 1100+/- RDS,  make sure the pistol is clean and lubed.  Cleaning is essential,  especially behind and on the extractor. I do not lube the extractor. 
  You want to lube the slide rails and friction surfaces with a quality lube.  Not dripping, but CZs do tend to prefer running a little "wet" around the slide rails and action parts.  This will get the most slide speed and recoil spring return speed for feeding the top round.
Magazines need to be cleaned but not lubricated.  They can be polished inside and out with an automobile polish to make them slippery .
Changing the recoil spring may or may not fix your problem,  but the fact some ammo feeds and fires reliably may show that weaker ammo may not provide full slide travel speed and force.  Cleanliness, ammo strength and the recoil spring all work together to feed and eject the ammo.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:09:03 PM by Wobbly »

Offline copemech

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 12:12:02 AM »
It is recommended to replace the larger outer recoil spring at 600 rds on a rami for maximum reliability. They are stiff and short and like full powered ammo, but I have had no issues with 115 WWB for range fodder.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
Thanks for the info, so far.

I do try to keep my RAMI clean and lubed - at minimum, after every 150/200 rnds or so.  The slide gets Tetra and the smaller moving/pivoting parts get Hoppes oil.

I know I've only found 2 of the 4 or 5 ammo brands I've tried will jam when feeding.  I'm simply trying to figure out whether what I'm experiencing truly is related to peculiarities with those, specific, brands or if this is pointing to a "hardware" issue.

Thanks, again.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
Thanks for the info, so far.

I do try to keep my RAMI clean and lubed - at minimum, after every 150/200 rnds or so.  The slide gets Tetra and the smaller moving/pivoting parts get Hoppes oil.

I know I've only found 2 of the 4 or 5 ammo brands I've tried will jam when feeding.  I'm simply trying to figure out whether what I'm experiencing truly is related to peculiarities with those, specific, brands or if this is pointing to a "hardware" issue.

Thanks, again.

Subcompact pistols put a lot of wear on their recoil springs. CZ recommends replacing the larger recoil spring on the Rami every 500 rounds. Members get away with more but try that first.

Even the full size CZ's start having problems when their recoil springs wear out. David at CGW said he ran some tests on what parts wear out and the recoil springs went at about 7000 rounds.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
Following up...:  Mixed results after a good cleaning and a new recoil spring assembly.  1 of the "problem" brands ran fine and the other had continued feeding issues.  Back to the Mother Ship for a check-up...

C. Andrew Dunning
Nashville, TN

Offline JoeSig

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
C Andrew - please let us know what CZ says, remedial actions taken - there have been several threads on the forum related to operational items - more data re this is helpful to all in better isolating what these small pistol "like", and where there may be a genuine bug.

JoeSig

anything