Author Topic: LEE.. TWANG..OUCH  (Read 434 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
LEE.. TWANG..OUCH
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »
I was loading some 124 HBRN this morning whenI heard a twang and got stung in the chest.  What the heh?
First I looked at my T-shirt and didn't see blood or any marks.  Then I looked at my Lee turret press and everything looked okay. 
I pulled the handle for the powder die and there was ZERO resistance on the pull.  Looking closer,  the coil spring that retracts the powder disks was missing. It's a strong spring about 2.5" long and 3/8" dia..
Looked on the floor and there it was with the hook end missing.
  I still had more to load,  so I decided to fix it until I could get it ordered.  I had a heck of time prying those coils open and bending a hook on the broken end.  I ended up threading  a coarse screw into the spring coil so I could clamp it  in the vice and do surgery.  It finally worked and the press works fine.
  I ordered "two" new 50 cent springs and a few of the 50 cent plastic auto rotate squares,  just in case.  Checking out the price came up $0.00. ::)
A pop-up note said small repair parts are free.  :)  It also said shipping is not free.  Yea,  $$6.95 shipping.

Still not bad,  since this my first press and this same 50 cent (?) spring had lasted over 100k reloads.  Those dang cheap LEE parts are likely to outlive me,  but I do have a red mark on my chest.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:56:03 AM by Wobbly »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: LEE.. TWANG..OUCH
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:31:42 PM »
Yet another example of:

Cheap can work pretty well

and

did you have on some safety glasses??

A spring breaking and popping out of there to strike you is one of the last things I'd be expecting.  But the unexpected happens.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline eastman

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:06:31 PM »
I ordered "two" new 50 cent springs and a few of the 50 cent plastic auto rotate squares,  just in case.  Checking out the price came up $0.00. ::)  A pop-up note said small repair parts are free.  :)  It also said shipping is not free.  Yea,  $$6.95 shipping.

Sounds like you should have ordered more small repair parts then.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:54:39 AM by Wobbly »
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Son of the Gael

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
I have Lee Collet die for all of my rifle cartridges and decided I need a spare mandrel for each.  Put three on order (they generally interchange within calibers, e.g. the same one works for .223, .22-250 and .22 Hornet) along with one of the aluminum caps which I'd ruined.  Expected to pay $4.00 each, but at checkout they were all free and I paid the same $6.95 shipping you did.  Gotta love that!

P.S.  I've had similar experiences with both Dillon and RCBS over the years.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »
Well, that was different, but glad it worked out well.   :o 8)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 12:34:15 AM »
Eastman,  that's why I ordered two springs and a few square ratchets. :D

M1A,  yes sir.  I buy no other kind.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 12:36:00 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
That's why they say "Spring has sprung" !!

O0
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline Morbid1X

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
I don't care who makes the spring, it will wear out eventually. Lee makes good stuff

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

anything