Author Topic: Why no 30 LPI serrations on DW's?  (Read 728 times)

CZ Aficionado

Why no 30 LPI serrations on DW's?
« on: July 05, 2017, 07:35:08 PM »
Have had several DW's in the past, I really like everything about them except.....the 25 LPI serrations on the grip.  I really wish they could do a 30 instead of the 25.  The 30 is just more comfortable, the 25 will give a good hold but get kinda uncomfortable during longer shooting sessiions. Others like STI, Wilson, Nighhawk and even S&W do a 30, why not DW? Anyone agree/disagree.......just seems 30 is the new standard, and for good reason.....comfort and grip.  I've got many friends that won't even consider a 1911 unless it has 30.....I'm quickly moving that way myself.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:26:06 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: Why no 30 LPI serrations on DW's?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:55:23 AM »
Are you talking about the grips or the checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing?  Grips are the easiest part of a 1911 to change/modify and there are a gazillion variations to be had out there so I really don't get the rationale for turning down a certain brand gun just because the grips are not to ones liking. I'll try different grips on a gun that I like till I find the set that suits me. I don't own a 1911 or even a revolver for that matter that still wears the grips they came with. I see it as one of those areas that allow for your own personalization of the gun.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:56:57 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

CZ Aficionado

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 05:23:03 PM »
......or the checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing? 

More specifically the "checkering"/serrations on the frontstrap and mainspring housing.........."grip" may have been a bit too general of a term on my part. I knew what I meant, how could everyone not know   ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:25:08 PM by CZ Aficionado »

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
Not sure if you could have DW custom build a gun for you with the desired front strap checkering. Maybe inquire if that's something you'd be interested in. Of course like grips 1911 mainspring housings are massively abundant with whatever finish one desires.

Offline Mjolnir

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:07:25 AM »
Have had several DW's in the past, I really like everything about them except.....the 25 LPI serrations on the grip.  I really wish they could do a 30 instead of the 25.  The 30 is just more comfortable, the 25 will give a good hold but get kinda uncomfortable during longer shooting sessiions. Others like STI, Wilson, Nighhawk and even S&W do a 30, why not DW? Anyone agree/disagree.......just seems 30 is the new standard, and for good reason.....comfort and grip.  I've got many friends that won't even consider a 1911 unless it has 30.....I'm quickly moving that way myself.
I would prefer 20 lpi for a fighting pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Guardian

• Always watching...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
30 is the most comfortable and provides outstanding grip......not sure why all manufacturers don't got that route but then again maybe different (25 LPI) is good, at least its another option.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)

Offline dshoub

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
I actually reached out to Keith at Dan Wesson regarding a custom Valor Blue, and asked this very question.
Keith said that "All of our front strap checkering is 25 lpi but I could soften that for you." By soften he was referring to knocking the tips off of the 25 LPI (something I'd asked about), but 30 LPI isn't possible.

On a related note, I asked customer service at Ed Brown the same thing and the rep told me much the same thing, however he elaborated a bit on it. "All of our frames are CNC machined, So cutting the front strap at 30 Lpi would require writing a new CNC program as well as new cutters." I imagine it's probably the same situation with Dan Wesson.

So the only way you'll be able to get 30 LPI checkering is if you either go with a manufacturer that currently does it, or if you can somehow get your DW of choice minus any serrations (I'm unsure if this is something they will be able to accommodate) and then have 30 LPI checkering hand cut after the fact (however having that done plus getting the gun refinished afterwards, would likely be cost prohibitive).

Offline Mjolnir

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:06:18 AM »
For a fighting pistol I prefer 25 lpi like the Springfield TRP and Professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PalmBeach1

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
^^^^ TRP is not 25lpi, but 20.

It seems many manufacturers are going to 25lpi. Wilson has recently switched to 25.

Personally, owning bit, don’t find a big difference between the two.

anything