Author Topic: How can you lighten up a PCR???  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Timsoup

How can you lighten up a PCR???
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »
Hi everyone. Long time no post lol.
My girlfriend recently purchased her first firearm, A CZ 75D PCR Compact.
We took it to the range and put 200  rounds through it. Only problems we had were some failures to lock back on the last round which i believe where due the federal bulk 9mm we were using.
She really likes the gun except she finds it difficult to bring the slide back and the D/A trigger is heavy for her. She's on the smaller side ( 5 foot, 115 pounds).

So, my question is, how can i reliably lighten up the gun? She plans on carrying it one day so i don't want to sacrifice reliability. and before anyone suggests a different gun, she's tried many others and has only liked the CZ ( I don't blame her ;] ).
I understand this was a purpose built self defense gun but I'm sure theres something we can do.

(I feel it will also help with the locking back issue as well, when I tried some slightly hotter ammo it was working fine).

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Offline Tok36

Re: How can you lighten up a PCR???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »
I believe that practice and technique can help quite a bit. Bringing the pistol closer to ones chest and applying force in both directions at the same time can make things easier.

Reducing the weight of the recoil spring can also make the slide easier to rack. Pulling the hammer back to the halfcock notch can reduce the force necessary as well. I believe that the factory PCR recoil spring is around 16#.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:39:32 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Timsoup

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
Thanks for the input Tok36.
Ive already went over the technique with her to help draw it back along with cocking the hammer first but even then it is straining for her. I can see her arms tremble as she tries to bring the slide  all the way back. What would be your recommendation on which # spring to move down to??? I figured i would have to change the hammer spring and even the Firing pin  spring as well in order to balance it out. Maybe even throw in an extended firing pin for reliability or would all that be too much????

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »
Recoil spring weight is going to be in some part dependent on the load you are shooting. From the factory CZs in general are known to be a bit over sprung being designed around NATO spec ammunition. This gives you some leeway on the recoil spring weight with standard ammo while maintaining adequate case ejection. To my knowledge there are less available weight options for the CZ 75 variant compact models.

Cajun Gun Works offer a 14# compact recoil spring. I believe that this is popular option and a good place to start.

14RSC 14# Compact Recoil Spring

https://cajungunworks.com/product/14rsc-14-music-wire-conventional-round-wire-recoil-spring/

If you choose to reduce the weight of the hammer spring as well you can go as low as 15# with the factory Firing Pin and FP spring. When going below a 15# hammer spring it is advised that you install an extended FP and lightened FP spring to avoid light strikes. Let it be known that reducing the hammer spring will have an effect on the feel/weight of the DA and SA trigger pull. A general rule of thumb is that reducing the hammer spring weight will reduce the DA pull by pounds and the SA pull by ounces. Reducing the hammer spring weight below a point with the factory hammer installed can make the SA start to feel squishy and less crisp in some cases. This being the case i would start with the 15# hammer spring to see if it dose the job. Then if you wish to reduce the pull weight further parts can be added as necessary.

HS-15 Hammer Spring
https://cajungunworks.com/product/hs-15-gold-15-hammer-spring/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:31:33 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
I tried the 14lb. recoil spring in my P-01 for my wife(she's small as well). It was a little easier to work the slide but she didn't like the recoil impulse at all with the lighter spring and factory ammo. That was her perception which of course varies for different people. Honestly, with practice using the push/pull technique suggested by TOK, she was working the slide in no time. Doing it in one rapid movement is the key, slowly and she will struggle. For improving the trigger pull, I'd suggest one of the following:
https://cajungunworks.com/product/54420-ultra-lite/
or
https://cajungunworks.com/product/srs-1-short-reset-system/
With the SRS kit, you may want to hold off installing the short reset lifter until she's proficient with the gun. My wife had a few inadvertent double taps when she was getting started. Shorter reset was not her friend.  :D

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:30:35 PM »
OK.  Old guy solution here.  Simple.  Use grease on the rails not oil!  Had an old armorer share this secret with me.  Worked on every gun I have had. Just wipe off then excess and work the slide a few times.  It gets real slippy and easier to rack.  My lovely is on the small side too. She can run a 1911 like a Gunny Sergeant with greased rails!
If you find yourself in a fair gunfight, your tactics stink!

Offline Timsoup

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:01:49 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, looks like I might have to try out  the lighter springs and see if she likes it. As for the grease, that's all I use anyway,  I'm not a big fan of oil (too messy and doesn't stay put).

Offline copemech

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 12:38:21 AM »
CGW ultralite kit with extended pin.  O0

Offline Goju

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »
In conjunction with the spring and lubrication changes mentioned, using the correct body mechanics, have her try the technique of pushing the frame forward, rather than just pulling the slide rearward.

Offline jackinil

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
CGW ultralite kit with extended pin.  O0
Did this on my 75C with safety. Made a good gun a GREAT gun. After I shoot my PCR a while I'll gave serious thought on doing this to it.

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
The good folks at Cajun Gun Works will fix you up - - just give them a call.

Ruger rimfire fan

Offline dkpbone

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
I'm a 61 year old woman and can rack the slide with no problem with the push/pull as advised above. There is no way I could just rack it and not push the frame. It becomes second nature after a while and she won't think twice about the difficulty if she practices with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jb1911

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
I'm a 65 year old man with arthritis in my hands. The main problem for me is that the slide is inside the frame so there's not much slide to grab a hold of. It's the only thing I don't like about my PCR.

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
you should be able to lighten the recoil spring, the main spring,  and a extended firing pin.
 one question though may be what type of ammo are you going to be shooting? 
you want the weapon to be 120% reliable so don't go to light on the main spring and get light strikes.
I would suggest to get 2-3 different weight main springs  to be sure what will work for you.
also just shooting the weapon will smooth it up a good bit, at least it always has with all my CZ's.

Offline jb1911

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
How to lighten up a PCR?  Unload it!  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.