Author Topic: How do you sort by head stamp?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

How do you sort by head stamp?
« on: July 07, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
So I was sorting through several thousand brass (by head stamp) over the last several days. I wanted to see how you all sort by head stamp because I feel like there may be better processes or tricks to help this go faster. Here's my current process:

1) Dump 3 handfuls on a zip lock bag. Grab the edges and sort of shake it a little to get cases standing upwards.

2) Quickly sort the standing cases into groups.

3) Grab groups in hand and quickly check their head stamps and do a quick QC. Toss out bad cases.

4) Repeat, repeat, repeat....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Boris_LA

Re: How do you sort by head stamp?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »
I resize/decap them as a separate stage on SS press before cleaning. After removing brass from the press I quickly check the headstamp and drop them into separate bins.

Offline pewpew4life

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
All the head stamp sorting I do is for 9mm. And all I do is toss out all the NATO stuff. Everything else gets lumped together. I'm just not that anal. And I've not really noticed any accuracy changes. I maintain enough accuracy for my needs in competition with mixed brass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »
And when you're sorting that valuable pistol brass that non-reloaders have left behind at the range, here's a nifty trick that will help you sort quite a bit faster than checking one case at a time:

It works as advertised.   ;)

I do what's in the video to sort by caliber and to inspect for brass with the internal shelf.  Then I take a matching box and flip them over case head up, and I sort them out by headstamp like that.  I set out several large tupperware containers in front of me, each for a different headstamp, and pull them out of that box one at a time and throw them into their new home.   There's always one container for rare headstamps, and a trash can for damaged cases.

Offline Son of the Gael

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
IDescribe, that is brilliant!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »
IDescribe you're a savior! That's just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Checking for the shelf in one pass and head stamps on the other side. Just fantastic!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
I only load 9mm, so my method:

Patio table:  3 ft+/- board standing on edge across the back of the table.
                   1 ft boards on edge across the back board to make 5 slots

I wash my range pick-ups.  And dump them on the table to dry.
When mostly dry,  I toss WIN, R&P, FC/SPEER, and OTHER (Hornady Plated for SD loads+) and Damaged Cases into the appropriate slots.  I recently did over 1000 that had accumulated when I couldn't load/shoot for a while.
Normally these are in small batches of 2-300_ish on a weekly basis.

My single stage press is on the patio near the table.
I size and deprime by headstamp and toss them in Case head labelled Coffee Jugs.
When a jug gets full enough, I tumble and put them into jugs labelled by headstamps and R.T.L.
These jugs are stored under my bench marked  A-? for each headstamp,  so the same cases don't cycle through over and over until failure. When "Jug A" gets empty,  I switch to jug "B" and "A" is next to be refilled, etc.
I have filled jugs labelled A through N for WIN cases,  the others some less.

There's a Ceiling fan and light over the table and a comfortable chair for sorting and sizing. :)

This pick is outdated,  but it shows the method. ( lost a bunch of pics.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:44:00 PM by 1SOW »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 07:23:06 PM »
I do it the slow way.  I pick a nice sunny day when the south side (front) of the garage is out of the north wind and warm enough to enjoy sitting on the bench.

Then I grab a box/bag of brass and arrange the coffee jugs on the slate "bricks in front of the bench and start sorting.

Sometimes I sort before resizing and sometimes after resizing.  Depends on jug availability by stage of reloading (not resized or resized).

It's summer and no reloading is going on (garage will reach 110 F or better on the hot days) and I'm looking forward to October through April, again.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 08:04:21 PM »
This is great info, keep it coming!

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
And when you're sorting that valuable pistol brass that non-reloaders have left behind at the range, here's a nifty trick that will help you sort quite a bit faster than checking one case at a time:

Been doing it this way, saves much time

It works as advertised.   ;)

I do what's in the video to sort by caliber and to inspect for brass with the internal shelf.  Then I take a matching box and flip them over case head up, and I sort them out by headstamp like that.  I set out several large tupperware containers in front of me, each for a different headstamp, and pull them out of that box one at a time and throw them into their new home.   There's always one container for rare headstamps, and a trash can for damaged cases.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 11:34:46 PM »
Cabela's is just a few minutes from my place so I went and got what I needed. Holy smokes this is so much faster!! A great $3.99 investment!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 12:13:38 AM »
Holy smokes this is so much faster!!

Yup.

Also, for any new reloaders, there is a sticky in this subforum titled: First Year Reloading - Issues & Insights

The video Scarlett Pistol just learned this trick from has been posted in that sticky since February of 2015.  If you're new, you should read that sticky -- LOTS of helpful stuff.  Too late for Scarlett Pistol, of course -- he prefers to go it the hard way.   O0 ;) O0 ;)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 12:22:32 AM »
  O0

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 12:47:10 AM »
Holy smokes this is so much faster!!

Yup.

Also, for any new reloaders, there is a sticky in this subforum titled: First Year Reloading - Issues & Insights

The video Scarlett Pistol just learned this trick from has been posted in that sticky since February of 2015.  If you're new, you should read that sticky -- LOTS of helpful stuff.  Too late for Scarlett Pistol, of course -- he prefers to go it the hard way.   O0 ;) O0 ;)
Dagnabit! I read the first post in that thread and skimmed the second and then must have jumped to another thread. And what was right below?!? Your post with the video! Ugh, I need to go read every sticky all the way through instead of assuming the important stuff is the first post(s). Thanks for being patient with a headstrong young buck...