Author Topic: Ingenious New Sights  (Read 984 times)

Offline toddv

Ingenious New Sights
« on: July 08, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »
Has anyone taken a look at the Occluder Gun Sight by Doug Orlob? Basically eliminates double-vision when shooting with both eyes open. Looks like an ingenious design. I asked him if he has plans for the CZ and he says it depends on demand. He was just granted the patents. I think this could go big.

What are your thoughts? Would you use one of these on your CZ if it became available? Do any of you have experience with this sight on any of your other guns?? If so, would love to know your thoughts.

Orlob Occluder Sights - Shoot With Both Eyes Open

Occluder sight system - Easiest way to shoot with both eyes open

Review of the Occluder Gunsight

Official Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/OccluderSight/

Offline DubTap21

Re: Ingenious New Sights
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:23:16 AM »
Interesting. Right handed and left eye dominant here. I can shoot with both eyes open, but I had to train and learn to shoot left handed in order to shoot accurately with both eyes open.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:31:33 AM »
Neat design. I'm right handed and right eye dominant, but I still have double vision when I shoot, and I absolutely struggle when paper targets are next to each other (especially with no shoots) since I will see double targets AND double dots. I already cover up my left eye, but I'm not happy with it.

That said, I don't know if I'd take that loss of sight radius.

Offline Luvdog

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
Interesting concept... any other real world reviews

Offline Jigo23

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
Hmmm, interesting. How much are they?  Their last FB posts says not to visit their website due to vulnerabilities and to order call a phone number. 
I'm right handed and very left eye dominant and always shoot with both eyes open, very easily. Seems this sight is only for people who can't shoot with both eyes open? 

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
Interesting. I'd like to see how they fit in a holster.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
I think the only way to tell is to try out a pistol with those sights, first hand.  Everyone's level of cross dominance is different.

Offline Pops1911

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
Right handed shooter with left eye dominant here.  I'm still working on both eyes open with a pistol.  Long guns are no problem but the short ones still make me see DOUBLE!  These sights look promising.
If you find yourself in a fair gunfight, your tactics stink!

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
I'm surprsied you can shoot easily with cross dominance. This past week I didn't occlude my left eye properly (paster too far left), and it took me a long time to get my first shot off because I couldn't see where my sight was. The weird thing is... my right eye is dominant, but I still can't shoot with both eyes open.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »
It's common to have to learn to shoot with both eyes open.  When we're talking about pistol shooting, cross dominance shouldn't affect that one way or another.  And if you shoot pistol from an isosceles stance, cross dominance shouldn't affect anything.  Rifle is a different story.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 11:54:42 PM »
I agree with ID.
Strictly my opinion:
For me:  Confidence that your  eyes aren't deceiving you is important.  Now and again in dry fire,  Look "at" a small target 10-20 ft away that's safe to point at.  Bring the pistol up until the front sight comes into view.  Immediately look at the front sight and finish centering it on the target.  Don't take all day to do this.  Do it smoothly right away.
FREEZE.  Close your non-dominant eye.  No change in the front sight position and still on target.  Open that eye and close your dominant eye.  The front sight jumps to the dominant side noticeably off target.

This shows the dominant eye brings the front straight to the target.  When you take your eyes off the target and to the front sight,  the target may show slightly double or out of focus.  IT IS,  but the target image you stopped on is the correct one.  Don't overthink all this.  Just do it over and over again.  Occasionally close that non-dominate eye after you have the front sight on target with both eyes open.  Nothing should change.  The front sight is still on target.

Focus on the front sight.  Don't switch back and forth from target to front sight.  Trust your dominant eye.
With a little practice and 'confidence' everything will start to look totally normal when you transition to the front sight.  You'll be on target. 

Now you just have to have that perfect grip and trigger pull. :)

PS:  Dry fire strong hand,  same method and and tests.  Switch to weak hand same same.  Nothing changes.  Weak hand doesn't change eye dominance.  You'll still be on target with your dominant eye.

If you need to occlude or or shut one eye,  what are you going to do in a self defense situation when only a small part of the target is available at 5-8 yards.  Unlikely or not,  think about it.  You need peripheral vision to move safely and see more than one threat--fast.

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 12:05:16 AM »
It's common to have to learn to shoot with both eyes open.  When we're talking about pistol shooting, cross dominance shouldn't affect that one way or another.  And if you shoot pistol from an isosceles stance, cross dominance shouldn't affect anything.  Rifle is a different story.

Sorry, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  Everyone's vision and level of cross-dominance is different and there is no static answer to cure or compensate for it.  Most of this misinformation comes from folks who don't have a cross-dominance issue.  While the fiber sight system looks great, they've been around for a while and don't work for every one.  You have to try it for yourself to see how effective it is.  As an NRA certified instructor and a cross-dominant shooter who competes in a variety of shooting sports, I can tell you w/o question, you have to find out what works best for you.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »
Heisenberg,  I'm not disagreeing with your statement about those with the cross dominance issues.
I meant to direct my statements to those with a 'dominant eye'.  My bad.

Those reading this thread with a dominant eye and not confident in there ability to see and aim accurately at a target need to gain confidence in using both eyes to acquire and aim at a target.

Bullseye comp. shooters and cross dominant eye shooters do have to develop a method that works for them individually.

Thank you for making me be more specific.

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 12:49:25 AM »
1Sow, I think I was still typing in reply to Idescribe when you posted.  It's no biggie and it's ok to disagree.  I agree, both eyes open is the preferred method of shooting as it provides more depth of field.  But, not everyone can do it.  Even the NRA has come around to teach it's OK to shoot with one eye closed if you can't shoot with both eyes open.  I know LEOs who shoot one eyed as well.

I can only shoot bullseye with my right eye; for action pistol I can use either, but not both eyes.  For rifle and shotgun I use an occluder.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 12:55:00 AM »
Sorry, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  Okay, let's see why:

Everyone's vision and level of cross-dominance is different and there is no static answer to cure or compensate for it.  I didn't say anything about curing or compensating.

Most of this misinformation comes from folks who don't have a cross-dominance issue.  I'm a cross-dominant competitive shooter, dart player, and a part of my job includes taking photos of fast moving objects with a hand-held 35mm.  My cross dominance is something I deal with a lot.  But even if that weren't the case, there is NO WAY you have done the research from which you could credibly claim where most of this information comes from.  C'mon, man.    ;)

While the fiber sight system looks great, they've been around for a while and don't work for every one.  I said nothing about fiber optics or treating problems arising from cross-dominance.

As an NRA certified instructor and a cross-dominant shooter who competes in a variety of shooting sports, I can tell you w/o question, you have to find out what works best for youAs a close reader, I can tell you that your explanation for why I couldn't be further from the truth did not respond to anything I said.  ;)

In the event you would like another shot at shooting me down, let me try to make it clear to you:

I am talking about shooting pistols only.  I am talking about shooting from an isosceles stance.  IF you are shooting from an isosceles stance, your shoulders are square to the target, the pistol is directly out in front of your face, more or less on your center line, and which hand is on top of the other on the pistol makes no difference to your cross-dominance because the pistol occupies the same place in space regardless of which hand is strong and which is weak.  From an isosceles, there is no problem gripping with your right hand as strong hand and aiming left eye dominant because your hand dominance doesn't change the location of the pistol relative to your center line.  It's straight out in front of you.  This is what I'm talking about.  I specified what I was talking about the first time.

If you're shooting a pistol with your torso bladed, shooting a rifle, or a bow, or throwing a dart or ANY OTHER precision aiming activity where the aiming apparatus or projectile-path is moved off-center to the left or right side of the body, then cross-dominance makes a difference in aiming and when using an sighting apparatus can make aiming with both eyes open a problem. Most of the people in these forums shooting their CZ-75 pistols and variants are doing action shooting, plinking, basic target, and self defense practice, in all of which they would do themselves a favor to lean toward the isosceles.   These people were my intended audience.  My statement was relevant and accurate to the bulk of the people who would read it.  And to those it's not relevant to, I did specify the context in which I was speaking. 

When you want to jump on someone, take a moment to make you you understand what they said.  ;)

anything