Author Topic: Went to the Richmond, VA gun show this morning  (Read 357 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Went to the Richmond, VA gun show this morning
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
I drove, my nephew paid for our tickets, my youngest son bought lunch afterwards.

I went to the show to get a couple rifle cases for the AR15's (mine keep disappearing when we build a rifle/carbine for one of the boys and they need a case to carry it home in).  Got those.  Nothing fancy, the rifles don't stay in the case, they just travel in them, sometimes.

My nephew is still looking for a .40 S&W Rami with the thumb safety.  No luck.  Didn't see a single Rami of either caliber or "persuasion".

Did see (and buy) the SP01 Compact.  The dealer had more but I'll leave them for someone else.

I saw a couple CZ 75 Urban Gray pistols. 

One CZ 75 BD.

A couple P07 Urban Gray pistols.

One P09 Urban Gray pistol.

Several standard looking P09s and P07s.

I also saw one I've never seen before.  An SP01 Phantom.  Looked funny (why it caught my eye) with the dull looking polymer frame.  That is the Shadow?  Right?

No end of Glocks, SIGs, XDMs, M&P, 1911, shotguns, rifles, etc.

Didn't buy any reloading stuff (got gobs of bullets and powder to test out once it cools down enough to start reloading in the garage again) from last winter and spring.

Got 3 packs of 100 pistol targets and gave one to each of the boys and kept one for myself.

I was sort of looking for a holster maker to see if I could get one made for the P07 with the RMR and tall sights on it but the one guy there making holsters has already had a chance at it and I don't use that holster (to darn uncomfortable to wear/use.)

'Bout wore me out, too.  Woke up Friday morning with a headache and sore throat and that summer cold is working on me.  Felt halfway sick all morning (still went to the gun show!!!) but I was dragging by the time I'd walked about 2/3's of the way through it.

A good day. 

edited - I think it was a Phantom, not a Shadow.  It was around $570 and I'm pretty sure (hit me while I was showering and my mind was sort of blank) that the name on the slide was SP01 Phantom.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:48:55 PM by M1A4ME »
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Went to the Richmond, VA gun show this morning
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:03:26 AM »
How much did you get the SP-01 Compact for?

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:31:26 AM »
The Phantom's dull finish is because it is a combat weapon, not a show-off competition weapon.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=76676.0

My Phantom and my CZ 97BE are my top two favorites to shoot!
CZ 24, CZ 27, CZ 38, CZ 45, CZ 52, Vzor 70, CZ75BΩ, CZ75D PCR Compact, CZ 75 P07 Duty, CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, CZ P09 DUTY, P10C, CZ 82, CZ 83, CZ 97BE, CZ 452 American. CZ 550 UCS (Urban Counter Sniper), CZ 805 Bren, DUO  & Z

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:29:05 AM »
I went to a show in Chattanooga yesterday. Last time I went to a gun show, I bought an SKS out of a semi trailer full of them for $100. So it's been a while.
 I have a buddy looking for an SP-01 locally so I went with him. I don't know why he won't buy online, he's been scrounging in local stores for a month. Anyway, I saw a used 75b .40 for $650, a VZOR 70, a 52, one dealer had an SP-01 Shadow, a P-01 SDP, STD SP-01, urban gray SP-01, 75b and P-07.
 I asked for a price on the Shadow and he took it out of the case and handled it to me. About that time my buddy walked up so I showed it to him. Then the dealer caught an attitude and asked if we were there to buy guns or just play with them. We maybe held the gun for 30 seconds. Well that pretty much set the tone for me. My buddy asked if he was willing to negotiate on the std SP-01($699) and the guy just said it would be $775 out the door. I guess there are people out there willing to pay over retail price from a traveling salesman with crappy attitude. My buddy ended up buying a '96 75b from a guy walking around for $450. I was tempted by the 52, but I'm in the middle of putting together a Grendel AR and it's rapidly eating up my gun budget.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
I've seen dealers go stupid at gun shows before.  I walked up to a table (years ago) asked one of the guys if I could look at an AR15 and he said, "sure".

While I was looking it over another guy from the same outfit walked up and jerked the carbine out of my hand and told me the guns were there to buy, not look at.

I had previously bought guns from those guys but after that I never bought another one from them.  They've since gone out of business but maybe that's their fault.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
Interesting to hear these stories. I've always been told that gun shows are a waste of time, and you'll rarely find prices better than online shops.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »
Interesting to hear these stories. I've always been told that gun shows are a waste of time, and you'll rarely find prices better than online shops.

The thing about the gun show is you can see it, pick it up, hold in your hand, look it over, maybe even dry fire it (bought a Colt Series 70 MkIV with the BEST trigger I've ever pulled that way a few years ago.)

Also, I find powder and primers cheaper at gun shows.

You can sometimes find odd/hard to locate old parts due to the sheer number of people bringing boxes/buckets of stuff to try to sell.  Got a magazine tube cap for on old Remington M17 pump 20 ga. one time.  Another time I got a set of 3/4" rings for an 03A4 rilfe ($15, just unreal).

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 07:58:18 PM »
Also, they're a great place to get out and kill some time. Over that last few years I've I've bought a few used pistols at a great price.
   Get to see a lot of guns that I don't see at any of the shops around here also.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »
It really depends on your focus. If you're into old/used guns, there is value if you can deal with the BS. The dealers I saw at this show were higher priced than local gun shops. The best deals are probably from attendees walking around with something to sell. Personally, I'm uncomfortable around that many people with supposedly cleared weapons pointing them all over the place. I'm more comfortable with online resources.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 11:55:21 PM »
Maybe I'll check the one out in Orlando when I go back home. I heard it was pretty awful though. I guess as you mentioned the deals are on older guns which I have little interest in other than surplus WW2 type rifles, and I can't really justify buying one of those yet.