Author Topic: Reloading regulations  (Read 760 times)

Offline ReloaderFred

Re: Reloading regulations
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01:27 PM »
Bricktop,

If not related by birth, then they're probably bunk buddies..........

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline John A.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:09 PM »
And a proper... Welcome to the forum!
While your question seems off the wall at first read, I really never had thought about it nor came across anything saying what is or isn't, this is but that ain't.
I mean there is Factory produced ammo that may raise questions in time. One manufacturer is relatively local to me making some pretty neat machined solid copper bullets. I would like to work there.

While Legal here, another nearby state does not allow hollow point bullets.
Self defense carry ammunition is not something I would make and use as my personal carry ammo. While many reloaders do, I choose not to. I have actually brought up that question to a couple LEO friends and was advised against it when I asked their opinion. Just buy a box of factory SD and leave the liability or intent off the table if something should ever happen, I was told.

Just don't make any ammo that could hurt someone and you will be fine.

Are these the same LEO you asked that carry ammunition that the manufacturers only sell to LEO?

Just one example

http://winchesterle.com/Pages/Home.aspx

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline vwpieces

• Bang, Bang, Bang
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:28:36 PM »
While your question seems off the wall at first read, I really never had thought about it nor came across anything saying what is or isn't, this is but that ain't.
I mean there is Factory produced ammo that may raise questions in time. One manufacturer is relatively local to me making some pretty neat machined solid copper bullets. I would like to work there.

Self defense carry ammunition is not something I would make and use as my personal carry ammo. While many reloaders do, I choose not to. I have actually brought up that question to a couple LEO friends and was advised against it when I asked their opinion. Just buy a box of factory SD and leave the liability or intent off the table if something should ever happen, I was told.

Are these the same LEO you asked that carry ammunition that the manufacturers only sell to LEO?

Just one example

Its late and I am sure I am missing something there.
Black Talon?
The local munitions is Lehigh Defense.
My 2 LEO buddies just offered an opinion. There was a little story from one but synopsis is, its amazing what Lawyers can pull out of their Butts.
Sorry, had to remove the list of firearms due to server overload. I hope you now have a more pleasant experience on this forum.

"Hey, do you want to try my Glock?"
No thank you. Want to try my CZ P-01?
"Hell Yeah, DoooD, thats sweet"

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »

Just one example

All major ammunition manufacturing companies have a Law Enforcement catalog, since LE buys so much ammunition, both for qualifications and duty.  Very few agencies reload their practice ammunition anymore, so they buy it.  Just because they have a LE catalog it doesn't mean the ammunition listed in it is only sold to LE.  I used to buy the ammunition for our department and a lot of what we bought was also available to the general public, but at inflated prices, since we bought in bulk and were able to buy through a state agency that combined orders from numerous departments and got an even better deal.  The consumer may buy one box, while a fairly large department will buy multiple thousands of boxes. 

There are some loads that are listed as LE only, but some of those are strictly liability issues.  The old Treasury Load, which was the first +P+ ammunition loaded to specific specs, was one example.  There are others, plus there are myriad local ordinances regulating such thing as hollowpoint bullets, etc.  New Jersey is the most glaring example...

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline John A.

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 11:27:54 PM »
There are manufacturers who market certain loads to LEO only.

Federal 9BPLE comes to mind. 

While it does show up on the commercial market on occasion, it's never from Federal themselves.

And my point being, LEO can use whatever they want to.  LEO and Gov't are always exempt from things.

In my state, there are no laws prohibiting using any ammunition I want (short of armor piercing handgun bullets).

I am comfortable loading my own SD/HD ammunition.

God forbid, if I ever have to use it, just the fact that I did would outweigh if they were .3 gr over powder charge and seated a little long for example.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • Fascinating
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 11:59:08 PM »

And my point being, LEO can use whatever they want to.  LEO and Gov't are always exempt from things.

While it is true that, in large part, LE is exempted from regulations that are imposed on the rest of us; in this case you have the cart before the horse.

With the exception of States that outlaw HP ammunition (NJ), it is the manufacturers that are choosing to sell certain items only to LE. There are no regulations that compel them to do so.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline John A.

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
You are absolutely correct.

And I wasn't meaning for it to come across quite that way.

The way that I read the initial question was "can I make a bullet that is better than what is commercially available and use it for defense".

I don't see why not.

So long as you aren't breaking any laws by doing it, you haven't broken any laws.

If your ammunition is better than what you can buy commercially, more power to you.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 10:39:12 AM »
If nothing else, this thread illustrates the need for people to be specific when asking questions.  NO ONE knows what the OP is asking about because he won't say.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »
@OP,

Depending on the metal(s), bullets might be made through casting, swaging, extrusion, or milling.  If you actually said what you are thinking about, SOMEONE might be able to say -"Yeah, I see no reason that wouldn't work," OR someone might be able to tell you that it's a waste of time and money to try to cast with those materials.

anything