Author Topic: .40 CZ75 Shooters: What Ammo (factory or other) yields the tightest groups?  (Read 315 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Don't have a CZ .40 (yet), but curious to your thoughts.  Being a factory ammo shooter, either of my Beretta 96 variants particularly like 180 gr fodder.  Quite frankly, WWB 165gr has performed quite nicely vs nearly anything.  What does the CZ like in .40?

Offline huskerlrrp

I've had good luck with 8gr of HS6 (near max) and a 165gr Montana Gold hollow point and 4gr of VV N320 behind a 180gr Blue Bullet.

Offline baldrage

I've only had a .40 upper for my SP1 Shadow for about a month and haven't shot it a ton, but the Wal-Mart WWB 165gr seems to work well. Have also shot blazer 180 gr which functioned fine, but groups were tighter with WWB.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
My 75B .40 prefers 155-165 with 165 tending to be the most accurate.

I've ran quite a bit of Blazer Brass 165's in USPSA the past few years.  It does fine.  I like it better than 180's.

Offline skin

I use Nosler 135 gr, VV N340 7.8 gr with win sp primers. Oal 1.125 for amazingly small groups at 25 and 50 yards. Also great for hd with my 75B.

Offline cdhbrad

My most accurate .40S&W load for any of my .40s is: 4.2gr. of W231 behind a 170gr. Missouri Bullet Co. "coated SWC: http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=218&category=20&secondary=11&keywords=  David Milam shared this with me when he built my "Cajunized" 75B in .40S&W and he sure was right about it being a great load for a CZ in .40S&W.   

Offline IDescribe

I do not currently own a .40, but I am likely to buy a Limited pistol later this year, and I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the caliber. 

Without writing a novel here, I have seen anecdotal evidence and some reporting suggesting that at the 1:16 twist rate common to most .40 caliber pistols (including .40 CZ pistols), the 180gr and heavier bullets may not be as accurate as the 170gr and lighter bullets.  I'm not sure that's so much the science around angular velocity/momentum and gyro-stabilization as it is general twist rate magic, but I've seen enough to suspect there's some truth to it.

My suggestion for someone planning on buying factory ammo is to buy 165gr, and if you don't have an issue with it, stick with it.
And if someone is thinking of shooting .40 Major in USPSA, and they think the minor felt recoil advantage of the 180gr bullet would be helpful, my advice would be to buy 165gr and a gym membership.  ;)

Offline muncie21

I run 180gr coated bullets in my CZ TS.  I've tested some 165's but not enough to get a feel if they are more accurate than the 180s, which by the way group pretty good for me.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
I do not currently own a .40, but I am likely to buy a Limited pistol later this year, and I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the caliber. 

Without writing a novel here, I have seen anecdotal evidence and some reporting suggesting that at the 1:16 twist rate common to most .40 caliber pistols (including .40 CZ pistols), the 180gr and heavier bullets may not be as accurate as the 170gr and lighter bullets.  I'm not sure that's so much the science around angular velocity/momentum and gyro-stabilization as it is general twist rate magic, but I've seen enough to suspect there's some truth to it.

My suggestion for someone planning on buying factory ammo is to buy 165gr, and if you don't have an issue with it, stick with it.
And if someone is thinking of shooting .40 Major in USPSA, and they think the minor felt recoil advantage of the 180gr bullet would be helpful, my advice would be to buy 165gr and a gym membership.  ;)

lol
.40 S&W has never been a problem... except for that time I was experimenting bare handed with a 0 deg F soaked charter arms pitbull that on that day (hand already frozen from shooting the Beretta 96Centurion) seemed to really pound the hand!

Offline krehmkej

170 Missouri coated LSWC over 3.3 grains Bullseye, Federal SPP is my match load.
Single digit SD, very accurate.
-jwk-