Author Topic: Picked up a .17HMR barrel kit for my 455. Gunsmith fitting needed? Really?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Warpspasm

I have a 455 Tacticool that I wanted to try a .17HMR varmint barrel on and it was on sale at CZ USA, so I bought one. It showed up today and I was all excited about swapping out the .22lr barrel and going to the range. One of the first lines in the directions says it must be fitted to the rifle by a gunsmith. I thought they were drop in kits. Do they REALLY need to be fitted or is this CZ making sure they cover themselves for liability reasons?

Dolor Temporarius
Gloria Aeterna
Cicatrices Virginibus Placent

CZ 24, CZ 52, CZ 82 (2), CZ 75B, Pre-B, P-09, P-01 UG, Shadow 2, Kadet upper, 455 Tacticool, 912 12ga, Scorpion Carbine - Still need a CZ 38 & CZ 70

Offline viking499

You have a "gun" and your new nickname is "Smith".  Put the barrel in there and have at it. ;)

Should not be any problems.  Might take a little playing with the screws to find the torque the HMR barrel likes.

Offline painter

WRT the barrel screws. The published spec is really over the top. 35 in/lb is all that's needed.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Warpspasm

I was surprised when I read the torque specs. Especially the 6 NM for the stock. That's something like 54 in/lbs!
Dolor Temporarius
Gloria Aeterna
Cicatrices Virginibus Placent

CZ 24, CZ 52, CZ 82 (2), CZ 75B, Pre-B, P-09, P-01 UG, Shadow 2, Kadet upper, 455 Tacticool, 912 12ga, Scorpion Carbine - Still need a CZ 38 & CZ 70

Offline painter

25 in/lbs max on the action screws, or you'll crush the wood and bend the bottom metal.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.