Author Topic: Weird "burr" on spent reloaded case  (Read 3485 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Weird "burr" on spent reloaded case
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »
Your reloads ought to feed, fire, extract and eject smoothly with that cartridge build..
You might try increasing your taper crimp (right at the case mouth) to  .377 - 3775 and see if  that helps.   
That would ensure the case mouth doesn't rub/snag on anything like the slide release or some minor rough spot in the chamber.  :-\

Have you used a light to visually inspect the chamber.  I doubt that's the issue, but......

Offline mr5parkle

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:38 PM »
Sometimes the bullet seating die can do that if the case isn't perfectly aligned.  Have you checked your unshot reloads?

I just pulled the dummy rounds and no burr after many manual cycles :-\

Offline mr5parkle

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
You pluck tested these at 1.154. What OAL are you loading these at?

Not 1.135...or 1.140? ;D

haha it was an average of 23 OAL measurements for that batch  ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:08:05 PM by mr5parkle »

Offline mr5parkle

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »
Quick update on a few unanswered questions:

I'll try to answer some of your questions now that I can remember. I'll measure the other dimensions when I get home.

What bullet are you loading to be have different results from factory loads? Berry's Preferred Plated 124gr Round Nose. The outer diameter of the base of the bullet is 0.356"
Is it a bigger diameter/longer bullet? I haven't pulled a factory bullet, but I am comparing it to Fiocchi 9mm 115gr FMJ RN cartridges
What's your measured taper crimp with your reloads vs the factory ammo? I forget the factory rounds, but my crimp varies from 0.3785-0.3800 with different head stamp cases. Fiocchi 115gr RN factory rounds measure 0.3760-0.3780"
What's the oal of your cartridges vs. factory? I believe the factory rounds were 1.15xx" long whereas mine were 1.1375". Fiocchi 115gr RN factory rounds measure 1.1565-1.1570".

Offline mr5parkle

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 10:27:54 PM »
Your reloads ought to feed, fire, extract and eject smoothly with that cartridge build..
You might try increasing your taper crimp (right at the case mouth) to  .377 - 3775 and see if  that helps.   
That would ensure the case mouth doesn't rub/snag on anything like the slide release or some minor rough spot in the chamber.  :-\

Have you used a light to visually inspect the chamber.  I doubt that's the issue, but......

Everything feels smooth from feed to eject, but it's just this burr that caught my eye. I do not believe it to be dangerous but seeing the burr just annoys me.

When I taper smaller, the case leaves a distinctive mark on the plate bullet. It doesn't break the plating, but it's a pretty obvious circular mark. Should I try to taper it more, still?

Just looked down the chamber and it looks fine to me. Attached a few photos to share:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:30:28 PM by mr5parkle »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 11:40:18 PM »
You pluck tested these at 1.154. What OAL are you loading these at?

Not 1.135...or 1.140? ;D

The OP answered the question in the very first post.  I was just being helpful.  ;)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 11:43:16 PM »
Any chance these reloads eject differently than factory loads?  Where are these landing when shot?  What power factor or velocity is your load? I don't load hp38 but is sounds like a light load.  What recoil spring are you running?

Maybe it's light enough that the case is tapping the barrel hood protrusion on the way out?  What shape is your ejector?

I have a 97bd that likes to occasionally extract funny and dent the middle of the case very consistently when it happens.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:34:23 AM by tdogg »
This forum rocks!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
Mr. Sparkle (Mrs. Parkle?),

One, do you have multiple cases with this anomaly?  Can you stand several up side by side and let us see a bunch in a row?

Two, you are going to want to shoot again and figure out the frequency.  100%?  70%?  1%?  And check it against factory ammo? 

I would load some at that OAL you have seen the problem with and some .02 shorter and some at .01 longer.  Keep the separate OAL cases separate to if there's a difference at different OALs.

Offline mr5parkle

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 01:00:31 AM »
Any chance these reloads eject differently than factory loads?  Where are these landing when shot?  What power factor or velocity is your load? I don't load hp38 but is sounds like a light load.  What recoil spring are you running?

Maybe it's light enough that the case is tapping the barrel hood protrusion on the way out?  What shape is your elector?

I have a 97bd that likes to occasionally extract funny and dent the middle of the case very consistently when it happens.

Cheers,
Toby

Unfortunately, I was shooting indoors in stalls so I couldn't see how or if the spent cases landed differently. I don't have a chrono so I can't provide PF or velocity info either :-\

I suspected maybe the powder charge could bit low so I just made a batch of 1.14" OAL with 4.3gr HP-38. I'm running a 13 lb. recoil spring. I believe stock is 15 or 16 pounds. Maybe I'll bring the stock spring on the next trip and swap it in after a few test shots.

I'm not sure what an elector is; could you please tell me what that is? IMO the hood area seems normal. I've never dropped it so I am not sure how else it could be damaged. Then again, I'm not sure what an abused elector/hood looks like.

Mr. Sparkle (Mrs. Parkle?),

One, do you have multiple cases with this anomaly?  Can you stand several up side by side and let us see a bunch in a row?

Two, you are going to want to shoot again and figure out the frequency.  100%?  70%?  1%?  And check it against factory ammo? 

I would load some at that OAL you have seen the problem with and some .02 shorter and some at .01 longer.  Keep the separate OAL cases separate to if there's a difference at different OALs.

haha I go by Mr. Sparkle online  ;D
1. I do not. I didn't collect range brass on this trip... it's been hot lately in NorCal and the indoor range doesn't have a/c but does circulate 92oF air very well. I will collect a bunch of spent cases on my next trip with my newest batch.

2. I'm going to closely track the frequency of defects next trip. Made a batch of 200 so I should get a good sample size to see how often this occurs. I'll bring 50 rounds of the Fiocchi factory to track and compare as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out the next time I make a batch if this persists.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »
An Elector elects the President via the Electoral College. ;)

OK, to the burr - I've seen these for years and as long as the case mouth isn't damaged, or catches my fingernail sliding inside the case mouth, indicating a possible crack beginning, I don't worry about them. It's almost what you might call "cosmetic" damage. I have no idea where they come from, have found it with many firearms, and have never had any issues as long as the case mouth itself isn't actually smashed down or cracked. If I see any real damage to the case mouth, however small, they become recycling for a new door knob or whatever.

Offline mr5parkle

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 01:28:01 AM »
An Elector elects the President via the Electoral College. ;)

OK, to the burr - I've seen these for years and as long as the case mouth isn't damaged, or catches my fingernail sliding inside the case mouth, indicating a possible crack beginning, I don't worry about them. It's almost what you might call "cosmetic" damage. I have no idea where they come from, have found it with many firearms, and have never had any issues as long as the case mouth itself isn't actually smashed down or cracked. If I see any real damage to the case mouth, however small, they become recycling for a new door knob or whatever.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling it was a cosmetic defect since it cycles fine when fired. Just wanted to check-in before something catastrophic happens. I'm gonna snap a bunch of pics of the spent brass the next time I'm out. I'll also do the fingernail test too.

In your experience, has it been only with reloads? or random?

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 01:42:53 AM »
The EJECTOR (stupid autocorrect) is what pushes the case up and out to the right while the extractor has a hold on the case head during the slide cycle operation.

The cases should eject about 6 to 8 feet away at about 4 o'clock.  If they are hitting you or landing at you feet there could be a problem. 

Cheers,
Toby

This forum rocks!

Offline mr5parkle

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:36 AM »
The EJECTOR (stupid autocorrect) is what pushes the case up and out to the right while the extractor has a hold on the case head during the slide cycle operation.

The cases should eject about 6 to 8 feet away at about 4 o'clock.  If they are hitting you or landing at you feet there could be a problem. 

Cheers,
Toby

Ohhh  ;D I think the ejector looks fine? Attached some pics per usual.

I'll keep an eye on how far out they eject. We only have stalls out where I am so the most I can observe is if the spent case bounces off the small from ejection.

Offline Son of the Gael

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
Mr. Sparkle,

In the first picture it appears that the case not only has a burr, but is flattened.  Is that correct or are my eyes deceiving me?

Second, does the width of the burr equal to the width of the barrel hood?

Is the underside of the hood smooth, especially the back "corner"?

By any chance are the cases overlength?

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I suggest you mark some of your cases with a Sharpie and load them manually indexed so you can determine where on the barrel the burr is coming from?  E.G. bottom might indicate the feed ramp, top might indicate hood.

As others have suggested, I'd try a bit more crimp first.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
It seems to me that such a minor flattening of the case mouth would get fire-formed out when the cartridge was fired.   That suggests this is happening after the cartridge is fired, either during ejection, or after it hits the deck and someone steps on it.  ;)

anything