Author Topic: Just bought my first AR... lower.  (Read 31303 times)

Offline OldGringo

Re: Just bought my first AR... lower.
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
I too have been bitten by the AR bug and am beginning a lower build. This time around I'll probably just buy the completed upper.

Although price is a factor I wanted the experience of assembling my own lower for the features that I wanted.

Aero Precision Stripped Lower Gen2 FDE                      $62.00   Schyuler Arms
Magpul CTR Carbine Buttstock- Mil Spec - FDE              $54.95   Toms Tactical
Aero Precision Lower Parts Kit w/trigger group              $51.25   Schyuler Arms
Aero Precision AR15 Carbine Buffer Kit                              $33.99   Aero Precision
Magpul QD Buffer plate                                              $23.95   Primary Arms
Aero Precision Aluminnum Billet Trigger Guard - FDE           $22.85   Primary Arms
Magpul MOE Pistol Grip - FDE                                      $19.95   Toms Tactical

Add to this $15 FFL transfer.

The above prices are from my spreadsheet and include shipping.

I know I splurged on the QD buffer plate and the trigger guard but oh well...
I saved big time on the Gen2 lower so I don't mind so much.
I plan on running a spec trigger until I get a feel for it before I spend on any upgrades.

The interesting thing is that while the above cost is reasonable, you can get completed lowers for about the same. To me it's getting the parts I want plus assembling my own that I wanted.

Has anyone seen the new Aero Atlas hanuguard. I'm thinking of a 16" M4 mid-length barrel with one of these.
https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-gen2-complete-upper-16in-556-mid-atlas-s-one.html

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2017, 08:25:16 PM »
I wish I didn't rush into the lower purchase since I bought a short throw Aero Gen 1 for the same price as a Gen 2 (normal throw).

Looks good though! I'm getting the ratcheting castle nut which comes with a QD end plate for $30.

Offline gnumadic

« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »
[...]
Although price is a factor I wanted the experience of assembling my own lower for the features that I wanted.
[...]
The interesting thing is that while the above cost is reasonable, you can get completed lowers for about the same. To me it's getting the parts I want plus assembling my own that I wanted.
[...]

A lot of what I've read says to build the lower and buy a complete upper. I went for the whole shebang for exactly the same reasons: 1) I wanted to learn everything about the rifle; and 2) there were some features I specifically wanted. Sure, I could have assembled a cheaper rifle, but would have eventually spent the same or more on upgrades.

Here is my final spreadsheet. There was definitely some scope creep on the cost as I went (and hung around here!). I'm still pretty happy that I kept the parts cost at just over $700 (minus the back-up sights). I was not anticipating spending as much on tools. In tracking the MSRP vs what I paid, it does appear that I saved more on the upper (even though I've seen some really compelling deals on complete uppers).

CZ P-09 Suppressor Ready | CZ P-09 Kadet Kit | CZ 75 Compact w/Rail (i.e., compact SP-01) | CZ 550
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul

Offline gnumadic

« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »
And here is the finished product (sans sights)! My VG6 Delta 556 comp left Florida just in time to beat Irma! It arrived today and went onto the barrel threads with no issues whatsoever.

I need to weigh it on a more accurate device than a bathroom scale. The first time it read 6.2 lbs. After I cleaned the scale for the picture it weighed 6.4 lbs. I know the scale was dirty but not that much!  :D

I should get it out at least by Sunday to put some rounds through it. Chad (the guy who lent me his punches) really wants to shoot it, too!
CZ P-09 Suppressor Ready | CZ P-09 Kadet Kit | CZ 75 Compact w/Rail (i.e., compact SP-01) | CZ 550
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2017, 06:33:14 AM »
That's a nice looking rifle.  Slick looking (meaning clean).

Now, for the optics and sling.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline gnumadic

« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »
That's a nice looking rifle.  Slick looking (meaning clean).

Now, for the optics and sling.

Thanks! That exactly the look I was going for, which is one reason I opted for the MBUS Pros instead of the polymer MBUS Gen 2s.

I am unsure of what optic to buy. Conceptually I like Eotechs, but understand there have been issues. Vortex has a new holographic sight. And the Trijicon MRO seems like a good rugged red dot. I don't think I want a 1-4x scope for short range. I shoot right handed but am left eye dominate.

What do you recommend for a sling? I don't have a sling point at the castle nut, but may get one down the road. 
--

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2017, 01:17:35 PM »
Gorgeous! I really like the ALG rail! Kinda making me wish I went that route instead, but I really wanted a weight weenie rifle :P I wish I went with the black comp since I have the stainless barrel :(

Also I  don't feel so bad about my parts list after seeing your parts list haha. Thanks for sharing!

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2017, 02:33:14 PM »
An Eotech is sort of like a BIG DP Pro or RMR isn't it.  Larger, heavier, bigger batteries, shorter battery life, etc.  I know the lens on the pistol type red dots is smaller than an Eotech but who is really looking at the lens when you're putting the dot on a target?

I only use a single point sling on a couple of AR15 pistols and a couple small carbines.  Most of my 16" and all of my 18 and 20" barreled AR15's have two point slings on them.  Not just for carrying them but also to help me "build a steady firing position" when shooting seated or prone (it helps standing, too, but you can't use a sling in competition - I don't shoot competition, but I like nice groups).

And most of my ARs with 2 point slings have GI web slings on them, too.  I've got a magpul on my DPMS GII but I can't say how well I like it yet as so far I'm not shot it with the sling.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »
An Eotech is sort of like a BIG DP Pro or RMR isn't it.  Larger, heavier, bigger batteries, shorter battery life, etc.  I know the lens on the pistol type red dots is smaller than an Eotech but who is really looking at the lens when you're putting the dot on a target?

I only use a single point sling on a couple of AR15 pistols and a couple small carbines.  Most of my 16" and all of my 18 and 20" barreled AR15's have two point slings on them.  Not just for carrying them but also to help me "build a steady firing position" when shooting seated or prone (it helps standing, too, but you can't use a sling in competition - I don't shoot competition, but I like nice groups).

And most of my ARs with 2 point slings have GI web slings on them, too.  I've got a magpul on my DPMS GII but I can't say how well I like it yet as so far I'm not shot it with the sling.

I have wondered why we don't see more reflector dots on ARs. Though I do like the Eotech reticle which I have yet to see an RMR with.

Offline Independent George

« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
The Holosun 510C might fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical; CZ-75 D PCR; CZ-83 Satin Nickel; CZ 2075 RAMI BD; Kadet 2

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2017, 09:04:25 PM »
I am currently thinking about the Vortex Spitfire AR which seems to be really popular. I am only unsure about the eye relief as it's an unmagnified optic. Otherwise I may get the Sparc AR or a used higher end optic.

Offline copemech

« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:42 PM »
Holosun is the stuff, with a circle dot reticle! O0

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2017, 01:11:34 AM »
Holosun is the stuff, with a circle dot reticle! O0

I need to take a closer look at their offerings. The Vortex pricing is great though especially with all the sales.

Unfortunately... I am worried my handguard may have gone missing from SLR due to Irma... been tracking it, and it was supposed to arrive today, and there's been no update in location.

Offline eastman

« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
I am currently thinking about the Vortex Spitfire AR which seems to be really popular. I am only unsure about the eye relief as it's an unmagnified optic. Otherwise I may get the Sparc AR or a used higher end optic.

eye relief isn't usually an issue with unmagnified optics.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »
Unmagnified red dot sight....way out there.  Works fine so far.  DP Pro with the triangle instead of the dot.  I figured the RMRs on my P07 and P09 are "way out there" when I'm holding them up out in front of me to shoot, so why not try mounting the DP Pro on the AR15 pistol far out there?  It's not a round tube/lens red dot but it's an unmagnified red dot sight.  Just smaller than most of them.

anything